• ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Long time no see INGO!

I sold my house and bought some property with a garage on it. I intend to build a house eventually but for now I plan to live in the garage which has 900 Sq ft of living space above it. I am having a hard time deciding where it makes the most sense to store my safe and ammo.

The first level (garage) is all cinder block construction, no insulation, heated by a wood stove, no A/C currently but I plan to purchase a window A/C unit. i am concerned that the fluctuating temps in the garage will create a moisture issue for my guns.

The second floor is insulated and heated by a pellet stove or a gas furnace but I plan to use the stove primarily. It is cooled by a window A/C unit.

Forgetting all of the other factors, I would like to keep the safe in the garage. I intend to build a portion of the workspace in the garage to be centered around guns and reloading and was going to find a creative way to hide the safe in a built in some sort of built in.

What would you do?

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I would put it in the garage and put a dehumidifying rod in it. A low wattage light bulb also works to keep moisture out of the safe.

Ive got the rod in it as well as another moisture device that can be reused.

I wasn't sure if this would be enough but Ill try it and hopefully be able to keep the safe in the garage .

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I've had a safe in a completely unconditioned garage before. Just kept lots of desiccant packs in the safe and recharged them every quarter or so. Didn't see any adverse impacts from it and never found moisture on the guns.
    --Rick

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My suggestion is to wall off a space for the safe you can condition. (2x4s and drywall are cheap*) Can you wall off part of the downstairs and add a space heater to keep the temps up and scare away moisture this winter until you build the house? The rods are a nice idea for conditioned spaces, but I'm not sure how effective they will be against unconditioned garage space. (I doubt they will be effective) My suggestion is to get the space around the safe conditioned if possible. That probably means a quality space heater with a digital thermostat to maintain a desired temperature, not the cheap ones that just have a dial to choose how randomly warm or cool you want.

I have a spare dehumidifier if it comes down to that. As well as a temperature controlled outlet (LUX WIN100) if you need it for a cheap space heater. PM me if you need either and we can talk. (the LUX is free but the dehumidifier is negotiable)

Barring that, Move the safe upstairs into the conditioned living space and be done with it. Decide which is easier for you; lugging it up the stairs or building a conditioned room for it in the garage.

*since its in the garage, spring for the green, moisture resistant drywall. Its only a couple extra bucks.

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    And bolt that sucker to the floor to keep it from being tipped on it's back. That is where a thief can get leverage with a crow bar and wedges to access it. Youtube teaches you how to break in.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    A low wattage light bulb also works to keep moisture out of the safe.

I assume you mean an incandescent light bulb that kicks off some heat rather than the fancy new LEDs. Getting harder to find real light bulbs but you can find some in the appliance bulb section for stoves and fridges.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I have used a Golden Rod in the safe in my attached (unconditioned) garage for years and never had an issue with corrosion.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have used a Golden Rod in the safe in my attached (unconditioned) garage for years and never had an issue with corrosion.
    In Indiana Sling? (Sorry, there is no location in your profile)

If so we may have a winner. I just cant see how a simple 12-20W heater can really counteract any extreme temps or humidity levels. (imagine how swampy it gets sometimes in the spring/summer during a good rain)

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I assume you mean an incandescent light bulb that kicks off some heat rather than the fancy new LEDs. Getting harder to find real light bulbs but you can find some in the appliance bulb section for stoves and fridges.
    60 watt rough duty bulbs can still be found.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I personally have used the Golden Rod on a cement slab floor for MANY years and have had no issues.
    It's a plug in and forget no hassle dehumidifier.

With the desiccant, being that a typical gun safe isn't air tight, you will have to constantly remember to periodically "recharge" the desiccant.
    Which I was of the opinion would get old in awhile.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    And bolt that sucker to the floor to keep it from being tipped on it's back. That is where a thief can get leverage with a crow bar and wedges to access it. Youtube teaches you how to break in.

Funny you mention that, I just watched a few videos on that. Pretty crazy how easy it can be done.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    In Indiana Sling? (Sorry, there is no location in your profile)

If so we may have a winner. I just cant see how a simple 12-20W heater can really counteract any extreme temps or humidity levels. (imagine how swampy it gets sometimes in the spring/summer during a good rain)

In my current house with a detached garage, I had my safe in the detached garage for a brief period from mid winter to mid spring (in Indiana). I had a heating rod and one of the Stack On "rechargeable" boxes with the moisture pellets in it. This was not enough to prevent moisture. If the temps were steady I was in good shape but we all know how Indiana can be. The wild sings in temps would create an issue.

Top Bottom