• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    So I will be moving back to Indiana in a few months. I currently live in Florida and have my FL CWL. Just because of the situation, we probably won't become Indiana residents until a couple of months after the move. I can just use my FL CWL while I am still a FL resident as there is reciprocity. My question is what do I do when I officially become an Indiana resident? The way I read it is even if I had a Utah non resident or FL non resident license, once you are an Indiana resident only the Indiana LTCH is valid. Am I reading this wrong or am I just SOL while my LTCH is being processed? Thanks for the help!

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Thanks. I was hoping there was a way around not having a license for a couple of months, but it looks like that's just the way it is. I'll need to get my license right away because I hear they are getting rid of the lifetime license any day now.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thanks. I was hoping there was a way around not having a license for a couple of months, but it looks like that's just the way it is.

A challenge!:D

Yes, there are ways, the most helpful would to be to carry a blackpowder or pre-1899 handgun as you are not required to have a LTCH for these. *Note that you cannot be a prohibited person (domestic batterer or SVF).

"IC 35-47-2-19
    Application of chapter
    Sec. 19. This chapter does not apply to any firearm not designed to use fixed cartridges or fixed ammunition, or any firearm made before January 1, 1899."

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    LOL!!! way to go Kirk!!!! Hey, I'll get some of our Amish to the west to throw in a horse and buggy......now that's a complete welcome back to Indiana package......LOL

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I almost bought a stainless black powder pistol set up / Thanks to King Obama - have 3 bows and arrows, several boom a rangs (married to an Aussie) , 3 crossbows, and a T/C Omega 50 cal muzzleloader.....just waiting for these to be added to American Medieval Assault Ban......hurry January 17, 2017!!!!

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    And, just FYI, you've got 60 days after becoming a resident to transfer DL/Title/Registration at the BMV before you become non-compliant.

The good news is that it's WAY easier to do this in Indiana than it is in Florida.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Apply and buy yourself a 12 ga shotgun. Long guns don't require a LTCH. (around your house/business handgun carry is lawful, longguns in a vehicle also. Some places restrict firearms carry, so either would be out). Maybe a short wait, but worth it. The end of lifetime LTCH shows up here now and then, but haven't seen any official information on that. Now if Indiana would pass Constitution Carry local/statewide open/ ccw. Maybe that would eliminate LTCH. Either way, Good Luck.

Add: AR/AK is another option. Magazine limits in some areas could become an issue.

Last edited:

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    ..and I'll add to LtScott's post that you can also transport your handgun to and from the shooting range or gunsmith without your LTCH. It has to be separated from it's ammunition and locked out of reach of you.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    And, just FYI, you've got 60 days after becoming a resident to transfer DL/Title/Registration at the BMV before you become non-compliant.

The good news is that it's WAY easier to do this in Indiana than it is in Florida.

Unless you allow your FL Driver's License to expire. And then it is a royal headache.
    Unfortunately, that happened to me when we moved here.

I had to go get a passport so I could have enough photo ids to get a IN Operators license. Yep. Harder than a passport that baby is.

The Spud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hoosier in Exile
    Question: If the OP has a lifetime Indiana LTCH, after he becomes an Indiana resident once more, wouldn't all he'd need to do is change his address with the ISP and voila his old Indiana LTCH is good again? Just wondering.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Question: If the OP has a lifetime Indiana LTCH, after he becomes an Indiana resident once more, wouldn't all he'd need to do is change his address with the ISP and voila his old Indiana LTCH is good again? Just wondering.

I didn't have a LTCH before I left, but if I had you are correct. It may even be valid even when I'm not a resident, not sure. It won't ever be a problem again though, I'll have my lifetime and I don't see myself leaving Indiana.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Apply and buy yourself a 12 ga shotgun. Long guns don't require a LTCH. (around your house/business handgun carry is lawful, longguns in a vehicle also. Some places restrict firearms carry, so either would be out). Maybe a short wait, but worth it. The end of lifetime LTCH shows up here now and then, but haven't seen any official information on that. Now if Indiana would pass Constitution Carry local/statewide open/ ccw. Maybe that would eliminate LTCH. Either way, Good Luck.

Add: AR/AK is another option. Magazine limits in some areas could become an issue.

Since preemption went into effect a couple of years ago local magazine limits became null and void.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Unless you allow your FL Driver's License to expire. And then it is a royal headache.
    Unfortunately, that happened to me when we moved here.

I had to go get a passport so I could have enough photo ids to get a IN Operators license. Yep. Harder than a passport that baby is.

Dunno why that was. Original or certified copy of your Birth Certificate would have been enough to establish identity.
    That, combined with SS card or paystub with SSN & 2 pieces of documentation to establish residency should have been enough.

Maybe you just got the wrong person serving you on the wrong day.

Top Bottom