• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    I have a brand new M&P Pro 9mm and the rear Novack sight is obviously off! I need to move it to the left ( looking from the rear of the gun) to even center it up on the slide. I removed the set screw and pounded on it with a hammer and block of wood so i didn't scratch it up, but no luck. I didn't want to damage anything by hitting too hard so I just stopped.

Any ideas?

Thanks

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have a brand new M&P Pro 9mm and the rear Novack sight is obviously off! I need to move it to the left ( looking from the rear of the gun) to even center it up on the slide. I removed the set screw and pounded on it with a hammer and block of wood so i didn't scratch it up, but no luck. I didn't want to damage anything by hitting too hard so I just stopped.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Yeah. Take it to someone with a sight pusher.

Alternate method (and the one I use cause I'm cheap like that):

The wood absorbs too much of the energy.
    Use a brass or nylon drift. Make sure the drift is on the dovetail not the body of the sight so you are driving it straight and not torquing it.

Carefull and gently beat the hell out of it. A laser bore-sighter is extremely helpful in getting things lined up at home.

WARNING: I don't know how familiar you are with the inner workings of M&P's, but if you drive the rear sight too far (like "removed it" too far) the spring and retainer for the striker-block safety will launch out never to be seen again.

photo_zps1d799c93.jpg

Last edited:

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    Nice Post! thanks! I might just take it back to the shop and have them look at it. Sounds like it is a pain in the a$$ so I will go that route first. But thanks a tone the picture was a perfect explanation

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have had to take a couple of smiths back to the shop to center the rear sight. One of these was a performance center gun. All that supposed attention to detail and they did not take the time to center the sights.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have had to take a couple of smiths back to the shop to center the rear sight. One of these was a performance center gun. All that supposed attention to detail and they did not take the time to center the sights.

Make sure you alway shoot it or at least bore-sight it first to see. "Centered" ≠ "Sighted".

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Trust me they were not sighted in. I have had to move rear sights on two M&P Pro Series and a PC1911. At least the last SW1911 I bought appears to have the sights centered up. Have not shot it yet though

Mike Grasso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 5, 2014
    Westfield
    Chezuki is dead on.
    When you say Novaks, do you mean a pair of after markets? Or the originals?
    Normally the originals move easily with a brass drift.
    If someone put aftermarkets on they probably didn't fit them properly. (Taking a 60 or 65 degree file and removing a bit off the sight)
    They might of beat it into place.

Take it to a Gunsmith with a PUSHER, not one that's just going to drift it.
    If it's aftermarket, they should remove it completely and fit it, that's how I do it.
    I invested in this, for my 1911 builds.

2014-05-12182547_zpsdc303c1a.jpg

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    They are the Stock ones on the m&p pro.
    So do you think I can just get a drift and knock it back myself? is there a good way to hold the slide when i do it? ( i have a woodshop with a large wood vise)
    It is off to the right as you look at it from a firing position, so can i push it back left?

I REALLY appreciate the advise!!!!!

Mike Grasso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 5, 2014
    Westfield
    Take the slide off the weapon, Place it in the vice with a piece of leather on each side.
    Pencil mark the original position.
    Tap it in the direction you need the round to move, it won't take much.
    I would use a brass drift.

If I was there, you could just bring it by!

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    Take the slide off the weapon, Place it in the vice with a piece of leather on each side.
    Pencil mark the original position.
    Tap it in the direction you need the round to move, it won't take much.
    I would use a brass drift.

If I was there, you could just bring it by!

Great instructions! the problem is that the rear sight is off to the right of center ( looking from the firing position ) and it is also shooting left. If the sights are centered on the barrel, then any further left shooting issues would be on my part i would assume. ( or barrel issue )

Thoughts?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I tend to shoot left with the M&P. It me not the gun though. I slam right through the trigger and throw shots low and left. I did move the sights on the guns but in my case they were not centered and to the left. So by centering the rear sight I was going the direction I wanted to go.

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    I tend to shoot left with the M&P. It me not the gun though. I slam right through the trigger and throw shots low and left. I did move the sights on the guns but in my case they were not centered and to the left. So by centering the rear sight I was going the direction I wanted to go.
    Gotcha.
    I think i am going to find someone to get it centered for me and just train myself to get good centered hits.
    Thanks for all the advise. And if anyone knows of someone in the Ft Wayne area that could work on this for me, i would appreciate knowing.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom