• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zombieglock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    So in June My fiancé and I will be moving to Tulsa, OK.

We are only going to be there for a year and move again to who knows where. Wont know till this time next year. but..

Does anyone know if I would be fine just updating my Indiana LTCH or Would I have to get a new License from OK?

Thanks.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So in June My fiancé and I will be moving to Tulsa, OK.

We are only going to be there for a year and move again to who knows where. Wont know till this time next year. but..

Does anyone know if I would be fine just updating my Indiana LTCH or Would I have to get a new License from OK?

Thanks.

License wont be GTG since you are no longer a resident but it is paused, not cancelled. But if/when you return simply update your address again and its valid again. You dont LOSE the license, it just isnt valid any longer.*

You will likely need a resident license from OK once you move there as some of the reciprocal agreements are written that you must have a valid license from your home state. Since IN is no longer your home state it negates the reciprocation.

*there are some that claim the verbiage is open to the fact that it is still valid as long as your address is updated, whether you are resident or not, and you only have to be a resident when you apply. But I wouldnt want to be that test case. Its hard to hold an IN resident LTCH when you are no longer a resident IMHO.

zombieglock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Which makes sense. Not sure since if we will be there for only a year if we HAVE to become residents.

This whole thing is so confusing. Thank you!

I'd rather not be a test mule for this, haha.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    OK... slow this thread down.... we'll get some of the same misinformation that we've had elsewhere.

IF you have a lifetime (or a 4 yr) license, it does not automatically expire, NOR DOES IT get "paused," if you are no longer a resident of the state. You have to be a resident of IN to GET the license, not to KEEP it. There are MANY states that honor out of state licenses WITHOUT any requirement for residency.

A quick look at USACARRY website indicates that Oklahoma WILL honor your IN LTCH regardless of your actual state of residence.

click on IN, then non-resident... then look to see if OK is blue
    Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I just moved to Michigan, a state that does NOT honor my IN license unless I'm a current resident of IN. (but this is a state to state decision)
    But, I have a lifetime IN LTCH and I will keep it since there are many other states that still honor my IN LTCH even if I'm not a resident. This is the same reason that so many people get UT and FL licenses as non-residents (although, some reciprocity has been lost in the last few years)

I'll slightly disagree with Cameramonkey's statement - I'll be the guy that affirms what he said in his *footnote. When you move, you can get a new LTCH printed up ($20) with your new address on it and you're set **IF the state in question doesn't have a residency requirement for honoring LTCHs**. ALWAYS update your address with IN St Police. I fully agree with him that it would suck to be a test case, check your local laws, and IANAL.

The easiest option is to get a LTCH/CPL/CCW/whatever-they-call-it in your current state to avoid this -- but it sounds like that might be a year down the road.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Also, as a follo-up question, can anyone find me the law (actual code) that IN issues ONLY to residents?

Sometimes I see IN listed as a shall-issue state for residents and non-residents.

The common understanding is that you must be a resident at time of application, is this the actual law?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Also, as a follo-up question, can anyone find me the law (actual code) that IN issues ONLY to residents?

Sometimes I see IN listed as a shall-issue state for residents and non-residents.

The common understanding is that you must be a resident at time of application, is this the actual law?

Indiana is Shall Issue. There are very narrow methods by which a non-resident may apply for a LTCH. Will cite shortly, but I believe it's IC 35-47-2-3. Stand by.

IC 35-47-2-3 Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
    Sec. 3. (a) A person desiring a license to carry a handgun shall
    apply:
    (1) to the chief of police or corresponding law enforcement
    officer of the municipality in which the applicant resides;
    (2) if that municipality has no such officer, or if the applicant
    does not reside in a municipality, to the sheriff of the county in
    which the applicant resides after the applicant has obtained an
    application form prescribed by the superintendent; or
    (3) if the applicant is a resident of another state and has a regular
    place of business or employment in Indiana, to the sheriff of the
    county in which the applicant has a regular place of business or
    employment.
    The superintendent and local law enforcement agencies shall allow
    an applicant desiring to obtain or renew a license to carry a handgun
    to submit an application electronically under this chapter if funds are
    available to establish and maintain an electronic application system.

Also, I didn't copy the code, but 35-47-2-4(f) I think it was, is where they state that a non-resident may not be issued a lifetime LTCH.

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    License wont be GTG since you are no longer a resident but it is paused, not cancelled. But if/when you return simply update your address again and its valid again. You dont LOSE the license, it just isnt valid any longer.*

You will likely need a resident license from OK once you move there as some of the reciprocal agreements are written that you must have a valid license from your home state. Since IN is no longer your home state it negates the reciprocation.

*there are some that claim the verbiage is open to the fact that it is still valid as long as your address is updated, whether you are resident or not, and you only have to be a resident when you apply. But I wouldnt want to be that test case. Its hard to hold an IN resident LTCH when you are no longer a resident IMHO.

Some who claim it stays valid is the dept that issues and controls the LTCH which is the ISP. There have been a couple people on this board who have emailed them and received confirmation that all you have to do is update your address. Also you keep stating resident LTCH, it doesn't state resident on mine anywhere. Does it on yours? I've never seen a LTCH that was issued to a non-resident, have you? Does it state non-resident or does it have the same verbiage as yours?

OK... slow this thread down.... we'll get some of the same misinformation that we've had elsewhere.

IF you have a lifetime (or a 4 yr) license, it does not automatically expire, NOR DOES IT get "paused," if you are no longer a resident of the state. You have to be a resident of IN to GET the license, not to KEEP it. There are MANY states that honor out of state licenses WITHOUT any requirement for residency.

A quick look at USACARRY website indicates that Oklahoma WILL honor your IN LTCH regardless of your actual state of residence.

click on IN, then non-resident... then look to see if OK is blue
    Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

OK honors resident and non-resident licenses from any state. But I do not know if they will honor another states license if you are a resident of OK. Best I can find is if you are entering their state they will honor them.
    TITLE 21 § 1290.26

RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY
    The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by
    another state, or if the state is a nonpermitting carry state, this state shall reciprocate under the permitting law of that state.

A. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed or unconcealed carry upon the
    authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed or unconcealed firearm and

license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must either be carried
    unconcealed or concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state,

the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to a
    valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state.

I don't know if entering the state means visiting or moving to. For instance IN recognizes all other licenses to carry, state, territory, or another country. Unless you are a resident of IN, then you have to have a IN LTCH.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    You really need to ask the State of Oklahoma that question. At least half of the "answers: you get on the Internet will be wrong. And going to jail is a total drag........

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You really need to ask the State of Oklahoma that question. At least half of the "answers: you get on the Internet will be wrong. And going to jail is a total drag........

Good idea. I still cant wrap my head around the possibility that the license is still valid even after you are no longer a resident. It makes as much sense as that USC 18 crap here a week or two ago.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'd be real surprised if they don't make you get an Ok carry license. Just like an OK drivers license. If you get a job there or various other triggers the OK DL will be a requisite unless you're military. Of course none of it matters if you never get stopped.

Feeling lucky?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'd be real surprised if they don't make you get an Ok carry license. Just like an OK drivers license. If you get a job there or various other triggers the OK DL will be a requisite unless you're military. Of course none of it matters if you never get stopped.

Feeling lucky?

The trick is going to be how OK defines "resident"!

For tax purposes at least: "Resident
    An Oklahoma resident is a person domiciled in this state for the entire tax year. "Domicile is the place established as a person's true, fixed, and permanent home. It is the place you intend to return to whenever you are away (as on vacation abroad, business assignment, education leave or military assignment). A domicile, once established, remains until a new one is adopted.
    Part-Year Resident
    A part-year resident is an individual whose domicile was in Oklahoma for a period of less than 12 months during the tax year.Nonresident
    A nonresident is an individual whose domicile was not in Oklahoma for any portion of the tax year."

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Update with another Indiana address, if you have to. I know when I went to college out of state, I just kept my address as my parents. If ISP needed to reach me they could go thru my folks, but I maintained my IN residency. Same when I lived in the SW for a couple of years.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Not to muddy the waters even more... but MANY states require that you reside there for X amount of time before applying for a LTCH/CPL/CCW/etc.

For example, I'm now in Michigan, and I need to have lived here for at least 6 months before applying (submitting paperwork) for the CPL.

Top Bottom