• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silverbullet4x4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenwood
    Well the time has come to venture south. Got a new job and will be moving soon. Those of you who live south of indy, semi close to the columbus area, where would you recommend living? I have heard nice things about Greenwood, being that it is about 30 miles from work and a short drive to indy. Opinions?

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Are you going to be working in Columbus? Why not live in Columbus? If drive time to Indianapolis is a concern, we live on the northeast side of Columbus (well within the city limits) are can make it to 465 in just a little over 30 minutes.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'd pick Franklin over Greenwood. Greenwood is hardly distinguishable from Indy at this point. (I'd avoid Bloomington like the plague. Spent two years there for grad school at IU. It can't have gotten any better.) Edinburg is really close to Atterbury. Just sayin'.

Then there's all the little towns and villages strung along I65.

Will you be renting or buying? Family or just you? City, suburban, or rural? Freedom or tyranny?

silverbullet4x4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenwood
    I'd pick Franklin over Greenwood. Greenwood is hardly distinguishable from Indy at this point. (I'd avoid Bloomington like the plague. Spent two years there for grad school at IU. It can't have gotten any better.) Edinburg is really close to Atterbury. Just sayin'.

Then there's all the little towns and villages strung along I65.

Will you be renting or buying? Family or just you? City, suburban, or rural? Freedom or tyranny?

I am not against small towns at all, however the old lady is looking for the best schools possible. For a year or so I am looking to rent with the intention of buying something where it is a good compromise between a small town feel and good schools. Personally I hate suburbia but my fiance wants a nicer house thus less land. Looking for Freedom, 'Merica.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I am not against small towns at all, however the old lady is looking for the best schools possible. For a year or so I am looking to rent with the intention of buying something where it is a good compromise between a small town feel and good schools. Personally I hate suburbia but my fiance wants a nicer house thus less land. Looking for Freedom, 'Merica.

Well, Freedom, Indiana doesn't even have a school system.

But you're asking the wrong person about school systems, so I'll bow out now.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Franklin is a nice area, we considered it before we bought our house. Not far from the interstate and plenty of amenities without being in the "Big City". I have heard good things about the school system but no fist hand knowledge of that.

Whiteland, Bargersville is about the same as franklin but a lil further out in the country.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Humor me, what towns in that general region have a small town feel without being too far from columbus?

Compared to Columbus, Indy and Bloomington are the only bigger options in your geographic area.

If you're looking for towns that still have a lot of the small town feel but provide many of the amenities of cities: Franklin, Shelbyville (though that's a bit east and not south), and Greenwood are tops. Everything else I personally would consider small town: Whiteland/New Whiteland, Morgantown, Edinburgh, Bargersville. There are even more smaller villages, but they likely won't meet the school criteria.

silverbullet4x4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenwood
    Compared to Columbus, Indy and Bloomington are the only bigger options in your geographic area.

If you're looking for towns that still have a lot of the small town feel but provide many of the amenities of cities: Franklin, Shelbyville (though that's a bit east and not south), and Greenwood are tops. Everything else I personally would consider small town: Whiteland/New Whiteland, Morgantown, Edinburgh, Bargersville. There are even more smaller villages, but they likely won't meet the school criteria.

Thank you for the input sir, much appreciated.

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    We've really enjoyed Franklin so far, been here a couple years. Don't know first hand, but I have friends that say the schools here are nice.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you're looking for great schools south of Indy, then you may want to look into Greenwood schools and Center Grove schools.

We opted for Greenwood vs. Center Grove due to overall size considerations.

Property taxes are generally lower "in Greenwood" vs. Center Grove school district, too. Though if you're going to rent, then that's a moot point.

Houses in both areas run the gamut from $80k - $1,000,000+. There are currently two houses for sale in my 'hood. One at $200k and one at $214k. Well established neighborhood, lots of kids, mature trees, streets aren't used as cut-throughs, etc.

If you want a realtor recommendation in the GW area, let me know and I'll pass along the guy we used. He's GREAT with first-timers (if you are) and he really knows the deal. I think 88GT also does real estate.

My only "beef" with the greater south side is there's a distinct lack of high volume east-west throughways.

silverbullet4x4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenwood
    Well I appreciate all the input guys but the lady and I decided to rent for a year or so to become more familiar the southern Indiana area. We are renting a place in Greenwood but are still open to discussion/suggestions on places to root ourselves.

Mosinguy, what do you mean the filth is coming with it? I'm not really familiar with Indy so please elaborate.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Mosinguy, what do you mean the filth is coming with it? I'm not really familiar with Indy so please elaborate.

Since Franklin Township turned into a big suburb it keeps spreading south slowly but surely. Franklin Township and Greenwood from what I've seen are full of drugs, lots of "entitled" feeling kids, and if you look in the news there have been many shootings in Greenwood recently. Me personally I'd go farther south like Franklin or Columbus.

Top Bottom