• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4evercoltsfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Goshen
    38 years old and have run into a fork in the road with my Career. Father in-law lives in Henderson NV and the wife wants to start a new life out there. I question how good the gun laws are out there and if it's possible to take a drive out to the desert for some non-range run and guns with my sons. Thoughts and has anyone had this same situation. Little scared to tell you the truth!

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just returned from Reno a couple weeks ago. I liked it very much.

I usually just fly through LV, so I haven't really been out there for a stay in about 10 years or so. But let me explain a little about the Reno/Lake Tahoe area...

Reno is about 45 minutes from CA border and about 2 hours from Sucramento. Reno folk seem very devoted to the 2nd amendment and are disgusted by those coming from CA with guncontrol petitions - or other propaganda - in hand. Weather was pleasant in my oppinion (dry heat). People do drive out and shoot in the desert. They are encouraged to clean up after themselves - and take care of themselves (BRING WATER), tourists seem to die out in desert areas more frequently than I'd thought.

I would seriously consider moving there myself someday. Presently, indianapolis is my home base. It's necessary to be here for my work. If that ever changes, Nevada looks like a top 5 destination for me.

Good luck in your decisions.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I had a house in Henderson. It's just south and east of Vegas. I didn't stay there long do to the wife's job. But I would look in this area to live. If you do move there, remember to always have a water bottle in your hand at all times. Dehydration will come quickly out there. But we loved the short time we spent there.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I just moved to Vegas in May from NWI. Gun laws are fine (except in the city of N.Las Vegas). You probably do NOT want to live there anyway. Clark County had a handgun registration up until athe end of June. It is finally gone and no issue. As far as shooting in the desert I think Clark county is a no except for ranges or private land. I have heard you can outside the valley.
    Feel free to PM me for more detail.
    BTW.....stay with Henderson or Summerlin schools.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    I was stationed in at NAS Fallon, NV from 1997 to 2000.
    Yes, you can take your guns out in the desert and shoot.
    We did it with no problems. Was on several dets down to
    Nellis AFB in Vegas and we did the same thing there. We took
    our weapons and went out in the desert 15 or so miles away from
    town and blasted away with no problems. If you ask a local LEO (Sherriff)
    where their "local" outdoor range is, they will likely share with you.
    Up in Fallon ours was out on national land and was a stockade style
    wood wall made of old telephone poles and burmed up on all sides with sand.
    Nice little area.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    all I know is on one of the AK forums I frequent there is always a guy in that area hitting up local gun shows and seems to regularly come home with a NICE AK that he's bought from someone in California trying to sell it out of state because they are illegal in CA, and they have had them (illegally) for a while and finally decide they don't want to get in trouble....... and I'm jealous ;)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I took some motorcycle trips through Nevada. Wasn't much for Las Vegas but was always amazed by the vast expanses of Nevada. It's an amazingly beautiful place. Hope you enjoy it. Check out Hoover Dam, the new bridge they built there is something to see.

Top Bottom