• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So I've got a self propelled Honda mower I bought about 10 years ago. It's been a good runner and unless it was unusually cold it's always started on the second or third pull. Last week it decided it didn't want to start. I pulled the spark plug and cleaned it off and got it started after about 15 pulls. It wasn't running very well and was putting out a little black smoke.

I checked the oil and it looks good, as does the air filter. I put a new spark plug in it a few minutes ago and it's not doing anything. It was sparking when I pulled the old plug and cleaned it but I haven't checked again with the new plug.

I don't know anything about small engines, what else could be causing the problem?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    If you aren't getting spark, it's probably the coil. They usually run about $40 or $50. Not hard to replace. Just follow the instructions that come in the box. The gap between it and the flywheel is very important.

You'll need the MOTOR model and serial number, not the mower itself. I don't know where you live , but check local rural Kings, tractor supply, and lawn mower shops for the part.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Might check for obstruction in fuel line. I have a Honda as well and the fuel line clogged with some debris from the bottom of my gas can and only allowed a little bit of gas to get through. It did exactly what yours sounds like it is doing.

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    black smoke means too much fuel. could be time for a carb rebuild. is the choke stuck on? that would be my first check. also check and make sure the plug is gapped correctly. small engines are pretty finniky when it comes to spark and the fuel/air ratio.

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    spray some starter fluid in it, if it runs but dies after it burns the starter fluid you have a fuel delivery problem. If it wont turn over at all its probably an ignition problem.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It has a choke lever and once it starts you can watch it slowly return to the running position. I can move the lever back & forth with no more effort than it has ever required. I'm going to end up having to take it somewhere I guess.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    If the carb has a float, it could be stuck open allowing fuel to just keep running into the engine. If the tank has a shut off, shut it off & see if it will run, if it doesn't smoke, it might be to much gas getting to the spark plug, thus a stuck float. Could be a piece of dirt in the needle valve. Use the biggest hammer you have, & teach it a lesson. :twocents:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Might check for obstruction in fuel line. I have a Honda as well and the fuel line clogged with some debris from the bottom of my gas can and only allowed a little bit of gas to get through. It did exactly what yours sounds like it is doing.

:+1: I have a 1992 model Honda rider that's still running strong. He a fuel line obstruction and it acted just as you described.

Kjones

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Elkhart
    black smoke is a fuel issue, check for obstructions on the tank or the lines. start small then work your way onto bigger issues

Top Bottom