• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I had problems with mozilla using a ton of memory about a month ago. I would notice my computer just crawling at a snails pace and freezing up, so I would go and check the processes in task manager and firefox would be using like 2,000,000k of memory. After I killed it everything went back to normal, so I switched to chrome. I do prefer mozilla, might have to try it again.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I used Firefox since it came out, but two years ago I switched to Chrome. Firefox was having issues with some of the pages I use regularly so I switched. Here at work (major midwest university), half of us use Chrome and the other half Firefox. IE is good for a laugh and a giggle and plenty of time to drink your coffee before your page loads.

Here are some ways to make your browser faster, use "about:blank" as your home page, unless you truly go to the same page at every startup. Turn off add-ins unless you truly need them. Disable Javascript and Flash. Bookmark your favorite pages, don't do a search every time you want to load ingunowners.com. Before you click on a link sent to you in email or in a forum, just move your mouse over the link and check the actual address it will go to (usually displayed at the bottom of the screen). Just because the link says "Whitehouse.gov", the address may actually be "Whitehouse.com".

Back when my kids were in elementary school we had to sign a waiver letting them use the internet. If the teacher knew the difference between "Whitehouse.gov" and "Whitehouse.com" I would sign, otherwise not.

More often than not a browser attack is targeted at IE, the most used browser. Right now I would say the internet is as friendly as the 1890's were to consumers.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My guess is that was a pop up on Yahoo trying to get you to follow it for a scam to fix your computer. Honestly. I'd ditch Yahoo. As you are likely well aware, Yahoo is not exactly known for security in any sense of the word, or caring about breaches, etc.

Actually that was my first thought, which is why I just closed down the browser, and wasn't all that surprised that my anti-virus, anti-malware software didn't find anything. The wording of the popup screen did indicate that I should call some 800 number to resolve the issue. Big red flag there. I'm okay with yahoo though, and actually this is the first issue I've had with them doing anything "weird" like this.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What version is Quantum?
    I checked my current version and my machine is up to date as far as I know.
    bash-4.3$ firefox -v
    Mozilla Firefox 52.5.0

- - - Updated - - -

What version is Quantum?
    I checked my current version and my machine is up to date as far as I know.
    bash-4.3$ firefox -v
    Mozilla Firefox 52.5.0

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I had problems with mozilla using a ton of memory about a month ago. I would notice my computer just crawling at a snails pace and freezing up, so I would go and check the processes in task manager and firefox would be using like 2,000,000k of memory. After I killed it everything went back to normal, so I switched to chrome. I do prefer mozilla, might have to try it again.

There was a known, and ignored, memory leak. I tend to have a lot of tabs open, so I encountered this a lot.

I haven't had an issue after the update. The new version seems really good.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I've been running chrome for a while. Is there a reason I should change?

As long as you understand that Chrome is the browser of a company with a vested interest in tracking your every online move and no reason at all to care about your privacy, then no, there is no reason to change.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Yep, I was having the same issue. FireFox was eating 2 + GB of memory regularly even when left unattended. This release seems to not have that issue so far.

More often than not a browser attack is targeted at IE, the most used browser. Right now I would say the internet is as friendly as the 1890's were to consumers.

Many browsers share the same vulnerabilities (until patched). Making sure you have any browser you use fully patched, and that you are using one from a company who cares about security is probably the best plan. That and remember that running with Admin rights "on all the time" on your PC is bad practice. Keep everything patched (also running a modern and supported OS), run without admin rights unless you need to elevate (even then pass the hash attacks can get those credentials) and be cautious with what you click, etc.

There was a known, and ignored, memory leak. I tend to have a lot of tabs open, so I encountered this a lot.

I haven't had an issue after the update. The new version seems really good.

Same experience here so far.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Quantum is not playing nice with my 3rd party add ons. I have not tried updating XMarks yet (not very important). However, LastPass is my web password vault manager. I've upgraded to the latest LastPass and it's not auto-filling the login boxes as it used to. The website can tell the browser to "not auto-fill stored passwords". LastPass had a work-around that now doesn't appear to work 100% of the time.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    That is by far the biggest problem with Quantum. This version is a major performance/security/privacy upgrade. The downside is, it breaks many add-ons. I'm waiting for NoScript to upgrade before updating Firefox. A substantial percentage of add-ons will never upgrade.

If you check your add-ons, any marked 'Legacy' are not Quantum-compatible (yet).

Top Bottom