• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    The two pistols I have had my eye on for EDC are a 1911 or a sw M&P. The gun would also be used for a couple handgun comps later down the road. Since it will be be an edc gun and that I'm slim Guy whose only 5'7" size is sort of an issue. My price limit nownis around 500-600 dollars. Any sugguestions given the information supplied?

Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    With the price range your limited as far as 1911's go. I know Rock Island makes a good 1911 in that price range. The M&P falls into your range. Really depends on what caliber you want to carry, how your going to use it, and just personal preference. Since you are a smaller guy you could probably carry an compact M&P well. If you want a compact 1911 your going to have to step out of your price range most likely.

Hope this helped. Good luck!

sampo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Owen County
    For the $$$ you want to spend, go with the M&P in .40, But if you can kick in some more cash, you'll never regret a quality 1911. That's the true investment!:oldwise:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I've EDC'd both a kimber lightweight commander and a M&P 45c. I wouldn't hesitate to go with either but then again I love 1911's.

If you are a 1911 guy and have the time and drive to really get proficient with one, find a used one and go for it. If not, M&P all the way.

IME, the 1911 is a gun that has almost unlimited potential in many respects, but requires alot of dedication to use even a fraction of that potential. The M&P is far more user friendly and forgiving.

Best,

Joe

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    This would be my second pistol I've owned and coming from a ruger p89dc they're both huge upgrades to me. I had found a couple 1911s on the classifieds here that were in my price range. My price range should be up to possibly 700 depending on the deal. I was looking at the 45 Cal

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    I swap between a M&P40 4.25in and a S&W1911 FS and I'm about 5'10". I was able to conceal both, but I've found OC'ing to be much more convienent. Either or is a fantastic weapon to carry. I do find that the 5in 1911 is a slight bit more cumbersome, because it sits a tad higher than the M&P, but I don't hesitate to carry either. They are both fantastic weapons, but in terms of break-in time and malfunctions, the 1911 can be pickey, so fully test if first. My M&P has prob 1500-200rnds down the pipe with no malfunctions yet... just my :twocents:
    Good luck with whatever you choose!!

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I have the option of carrying an M&P or a 1911 and I find myself carrying the M&P more often. Several reasons, capacity, weight, cost (I get less upset about wear on my less expensive M&P vs my 1911), etc, but ultimately I'm more comfortable shooting/carrying my M&P.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    For your price range your not gonna get a top shelf 1911 that you can trust. I would go with the M&P.

Why does it need to be top shelf to be trusted? My first 1911 was a used officers model, and it was ported:eek: Three things that some claim to be a guarantee to a non-functional 1911. After a thourough cleaning, and a new recoil spring, it has been nothing but flawless with anything I have fed it. Everything including the Trijicons and Chip Mcormic grips, and I was still under what a new RI would have cost.

I am not familiar enough with the M&P to comment on its ergonomics, though I can honestly say I have looked at them and seriously considered putting one in my safe. But, if you are interested in a 1911, nothing else will satisfy that craving. If a new one isnt in your budget, there is nothing wrong with a used one if you are OK with a little elbow grease to get a shiny gun.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Why does it need to be top shelf to be trusted? My first 1911 was a used officers model, and it was ported:eek: Three things that some claim to be a guarantee to a non-functional 1911. After a thourough cleaning, and a new recoil spring, it has been nothing but flawless with anything I have fed it. Everything including the Trijicons and Chip Mcormic grips, and I was still under what a new RI would have cost.

It does not HAVE to be a top shelf 1911 to be trusted. I Know my uncles Taurus 1911 is nearly unstoppable and more accurate than I wouldve ever thought. But you cant tell me if you were in a SHTF situation and the only two pistols you could find were an RI 1911 or a Springfield TRP PRO 1911 that you or anyone would choose the RI.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Never had a FTF/FTE on my plain jane SA G.I. model...just saying.

M&P's are comfortable, quality guns, certainly no complaints there.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Why does it need to be top shelf to be trusted?

snippage

Doesn't necessarily have to be a Wilson or Nighthawk to be trusted, for sure. But for someone who seems, based on posing *this* question, to have no significant training with or preference for a 1911, probably not a ton of pistol experience (totally an assumption based on his posting the question the way he did, could be wrong) and with an intended budget in that range... No-brainer.

I *love* 1911s, but given *this* scenario, I think the M&P is the EASY winner.

The ammo you'd have to put through an "unknown" (to you) 1911 in that price range to come to trust it would cost as much as the gun... but maybe I'm a freak about that part. I can't imagine trusting my life to most production 1911s without putting at LEAST 1000 FMJs and a couple of boxes of my intended carry rounds through it.

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    If I was to buy a 1911it would be used, but if I were to buybthr M&P it'd be brand new. Will the 1911 need gone through and the sort yes. I think it will end up coming down to what I fin the best deal on

Top Bottom