Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    This isn't an OC vs CC issue. This is a why in the name of all that's holy wasn't he carrying his defensive firearm in a ready state issue. If he had needed to use his weak hand to ward off the nut job with the bat, he could have easily been seriously injured or killed in front of his children while holding an empty, useless gun and helped to better arm said nut job when the gun was taken from him.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    This isn't an OC vs CC issue. This is a why in the name of all that's holy wasn't he carrying his defensive firearm in a ready state issue. If he had needed to use his weak hand to ward off the nut job with the bat, he could have easily been seriously injured or killed in front of his children while holding an empty, useless gun and helped to better arm said nut job when the gun was taken from him.

Exactly what i was thinking. Empty chamber.....geesh.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I don't OC, and I dont expect to anytime soon. That being said, I don't know that we can blame OC for this attack. The victim said that the only thing that made sense to him was that he was OC'ing at the time. The attacker was mentally ill, so it doesn't have to make sense.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Pretty much what I thought.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I found it interesting that the only conceivable reason this guy came up with that he would be targeted was because he was OCing.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, I'd have to agree that it's doubtful this is an OC vs. CC issue.

That said, it is strongly advised that IF one chooses to carry a firearm, carry it in manner that permits 'ready use'.

There's little difference between carrying a firearm that is unloaded (and without chambered rounds, it IS unloaded) and carrying one that's field stripped. It just takes more time to get it to that 'ready state'.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Mr Walker then stepped back to create distance and drew his open-carried Sig Sauer P226 in .357 Sig, racked the slide the chamber a round (he carries it on an empty chamber), and ordered his attacker to the ground.

He had me at- "racked the slide".

Inexcusable!

This deserves a HUGE FACEPALM.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Walker did great. I just got back from Rural King in Greenwood. I don't want to say that I felt like a hayseed in the "big city" for the first time, but I was a little overwhelmed with all the stuff and people in the store. I was carrying concealed and really didn't pay attention to anyone else as I was lasering in on a replacement wheelbarrow tire and wheel.

When we got back to the truck, my wife said she'd never seen that many people carrying pistols in one place. I didn't notice at all. Guess I need to step up my situational awareness a notch or two.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Walker did great. I just got back from Rural King in Greenwood. I don't want to say that I felt like a hayseed in the "big city" for the first time, but I was a little overwhelmed with all the stuff and people in the store. I was carrying concealed and really didn't pay attention to anyone else as I was lasering in on a replacement wheelbarrow tire and wheel.

When we got back to the truck, my wife said she'd never seen that many people carrying pistols in one place. I didn't notice at all. Guess I need to step up my situational awareness a notch or two.

A meet and greet? I missed the announcement on this one, dang it!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

Hey -
    When I go shopping, I'm not looking at men's waistlines either.
    I'm staring at all the women's breasts. :n00b:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

You must have really been oblivious. Didn't you notice all of the random gun fire, especially around the gun counter?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Hey -
    When I go shopping, I'm not looking at men's waistlines either.
    I'm staring at all the women's breasts. :n00b:

Now that you mention it, there was one young woman over near the firearms section that was so pretty it made your teeth hurt. Maybe that's why I was in a daze.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I found it interesting that the only conceivable reason this guy came up with that he would be targeted was because he was OCing.

I agree. The story even mentions that this particular assailant has previous assault convictions. I wonder if he assaulted them because they were OCing, too?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Are we to assume the assault was because of open carry? I didn't take anything from the story other than the Good Guy didn't take a covering piece of clothing with him.
    It was never said the attack was because of open carry. OR...did I just miss all of that in reading the story twice?

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    There was another story, also on bearing arms:

Bearing ArmsFelon Attacks Open Carrier for His Weapon In Washington Walmart - Bearing Arms

I have to admit I hadn't read the one in the OP because I read the one above first. It's far more slanted against OC.

But from the OP article:
    While “Trevor” never stated specifically why he attacked, the only thing that made sense to Mr. Walker was that Trevor wanted his gun.

From now on, Mr. Walker will carry concealed, and already has just the sidearm picked out for the summer months ahead. The only time he’ll open carry from now on is at the range.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Top Bottom