• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm going to be getting a cochlear implant sometime next year.
    I wonder if that would be affected by an MRI. It's magnetic. Not sure if the part in your skull is or the the part that attaches to it.
    I wonder if the MRI would pull that out of your skull?
    My wife has an implanted cardiac device with multiple wire leads and for years that has obviously been a no go with MRIs.

That said, apparently there are models of those implants now that can be MRI safe, and that was discussed a bit on her last replacement, however she has old fractured leads, etc that couldn't be fully removed even when she went to one of the best in the world late last year at an out of state medical facility in a several hours long surgery, so it's still a no go for her due to the older lead fragments still remaining.

(Side not: She's had more replacements of devices due to lead fractures than due to battery change needs. Apparently her Dr's here didn't adhere to the old adage of doing the same thing and expecting a different result being insanity, and we were previously led to believe it was all due to hardware issues. Different doc out of state indicated he would have never been happy with how the devices were previously placed, etc)

The discussion on MRI safe options didn't go further than that since MRI was still a no go for her, but I'd suggest discussing any options with your doctor on that.

Last edited:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    They can pull metallic ink used in some tattoos right out your skin.
    I had a piece of shrapnel be pulled to the surface during my first one. I hit the bulb all stop and had to have it removed using a local from a doc. After it was gone, I could finish the MRI at a later date.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I worked a couple shifts as LEO security for a hospital when I was on the dept and we had a whack job start fighting during an mri. Me and an unarmed security guard ran in and were told to stop because it was still running. The nurse was an Itty bitty girl that I was sure was about to get her butt kicked so I started stripping off my gear to go in to help before she decided she did in fact want that smoke and whooped that guys ***. It was pretty funny but they were dead serious about stopping us until the machine stopped.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I worked a couple shifts as LEO security for a hospital when I was on the dept and we had a whack job start fighting during an mri. Me and an unarmed security guard ran in and were told to stop because it was still running. The nurse was an Itty bitty girl that I was sure was about to get her butt kicked so I started stripping off my gear to go in to help before she decided she did in fact want that smoke and whooped that guys ***. It was pretty funny but they were dead serious about stopping us until the machine stopped.
    I heard about an LEO who refused to leave the person inmate or arrestee for the MRI, the tech let them come into the room... Gun discharged and officer was stuck to the machine until they were able to power it down.

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    Yes the MRI butt plug is infamous.

MRI's have been known to fire guns.
    What happens is you often have a ferrous metal steel firing pin, in an alloy slide (much less ferrous)...
    Flip on the MRI, the magnet yanks the firing pin into the primer.

I know we all like our guns.. but please.. keep all metal away from MRIs
    So the people who carry unchambered should be fine!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

View attachment 317494

View attachment 317495
    I have questions!

Did this person go to their local adult toy store and say…”I have a mri coming up, I need a butt plug thats 100% silicone!”…because if she (or he, I don’t judge) did that means they could sue the toy store too!

Does this now mean that hospitals will have to ask “if you have a butt plug in, are you positive it’s 100% silicone with no metal core?”

Did they say to their significant other “what do you think the mri tech is gonna say when they see this lol!”

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have questions!

Did this person go to their local adult toy store and say…”I have a mri coming up, I need a butt plug thats 100% silicone!”…because if she (or he, I don’t judge) did that means they could sue the toy store too!

Does this now mean that hospitals will have to ask “if you have a butt plug in, are you positive it’s 100% silicone with no metal core?”

Did they say to their significant other “what do you think the mri tech is gonna say when they see this lol!”
    I don't think I am qualified to answer those questions.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    Other things to not take into an MRI room: compressed gas cylinders, steak knives...
    I was listening to a radio show out of Tennessee last week. Supposedly, someone had left a plug for a certain hole that contained metal, in place while having the mri. Legend has it that it was pulled out through the front of their body, during the procedure. I find the story a little hard to believe.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I was listening to a radio show out of Tennessee last week. Supposedly, someone had left a plug for a certain hole that contained metal, in place while having the mri. Legend has it that it was pulled out through the front of their body, during the procedure. I find the story a little hard to believe.
    You must not Have read the first page of this thread….

Top Bottom