MS Society -- MS150: (Aka. The Best Dam Bike Ride)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Hello Everyone,

As some of you know I've recently picked up bicycling as a hobby. It started out as a way to get into better shape and at the same time save a few dollars on gas each week by riding my bicycle the 7.5 miles to work a few times a week. It turned into a bit of an obsession.

This summer I rode (with another member of INGO and two other friends) in an event called the HOPE Ride. Based in Hope, IN, this ride went out to raise money for the Hope Food Bank. Over the years the ride has raised over $225,000 for the food bank, and I admit it felt good to be able to contribute towards helping other people. This lead me to what will ultimately be the meat of this post, so please bear with me.

I have decided that next year, August 6-7, 2011 I will be riding in an event in Wisconsin called the MS150 (Aka. The Best Dam Bike Ride) This event is a two day ride that starts in Pewaukee, WI (near where I grew up) and rides to Whitewater, WI (where I went to College) on Saturday. My route will be 100 miles that day. I'll then sleep at the college Saturday night, to be followed by another 100 mile bicycle ride which will take me to Madison, WI. That's 200 miles of riding over two days.

I feel especially motivated to make this ride for the following people.

• My Dad's Cousin Leslie who has lived with MS all her life.
    • My Boss's Husband Jay, who was diagnosed within the last 10 years.
    • My High School Friend Jennifer, who was diagnosed just 6 years ago.

Please if you have a moment, take a look at the page provided by the National MS Society for my ride here: National MS Society - Bike Event:

I need to get at least $300 in pledges directly to the MS Society in order to make the ride, however I would actually like to crush that by getting $1000 or more.

If you can help me raise money for this extremely worthy cause I would be extremely grateful. If you're willing to come to Wisconsin and make the ride with me by getting at least $300 in pledges yourself I'd love the company!

Thanks everyone for your time.
    Lars

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would definitely be in to help with donations, but I'm not sure about riding that far. I'm not quite at that level.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I would definitely be in to help with donations, but I'm not sure about riding that far. I'm not quite at that level.
    you have all winter to train pal!

RIDE, RIDE, RIDE, PUMP THOSE LEGS, COME ON MAGGOT, GET YER BUTT OF THAT SEAT AND RIDE!!!

:yesway:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    you have all winter to train pal!

RIDE, RIDE, RIDE, PUMP THOSE LEGS, COME ON MAGGOT, GET YER BUTT OF THAT SEAT AND RIDE!!!

:yesway:

If I had one of those systems that would allow me to ride indoors, I would definitely do that.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    You don't have to do 200 miles over two days. I'm certainly in no shape to do 200 miles today either. But a lot of hard work this winter doing pushups, situps, and riding on the bicycle trainer should whip me into shape in no time.

Mileage options are.....

62.5miles (either or both days)
    75miles (either or both days)
    100miles (either or both days)

This means if you ride both days you're in for 125 miles minimum, or 200 miles maximum.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    .... and one in my garage. I have a Kinetic, and switch my mountain bike rear wheel to a slick for winter training. Next year I hope to get a dedicated road bike, but for now, I'm the guy doing tri's on a mountain bike.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm in! I think I'll put some stuff in the classifieds and get the cash for one. I just can't bring myself to spend cash on-hand for that when I can get two Mosin Negant's and ammo for that price. :laugh:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'm in! I think I'll put some stuff in the classifieds and get the cash for one. I just can't bring myself to spend cash on-hand for that when I can get two Mosin Negant's and ammo for that price. :laugh:

So Que, does that mean you're going to come to Wisconsin with me and ride in "The Best Dam Bike Ride"

Or that you're going to get down with training this winter? :)

Top Bottom