• ...and so much more!
  • Lynn Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    MSG 2 / Indianapolis
    Greetings,

It was decided that as part of the October meeting we would have a swap meet. With our normal meeting spot unavailable this month we need to find a new location that would be OK with us having various odd items as well as firearms.

I am looking into sites at this time and wanted to open a discussion for suggested locations. Of course the location needs to be within MSG2 and hopefully close to Indy since it is the center of the MSG2 area.

Once we have a location we can nail down a date and itinerary.

Thank you,

Lynn Smith

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    SSGSAD was going to look into the 4H fairgrounds in Greenfield, as well as the NG armory next door.

GRIZ was going to look into the New Pal Lions club.

Other options we talked about at the last meeting were state parks. Primary issue for some is being able to open carry, and how much privacy we would have. Wouldn't want to freak out other park goers, and get attention from either the police or the media.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Talked with the Lions Club people in New Palestine today. The shelters have tables and are free to use anytime. Guns are not an issue with them, but I am going to check with the Town Hall just to be sure.

I was also recommended to check out the Sugar Creek Park. It is located 1/2 mile south of 52 on the east side of 700 W. Nice shelters with tables and lots of room. No charge to use the facilities.

Either location should work nicely, but both close at dusk. If we were to hold the gathering from 3 to darkthirty, I think we'd be fine. Folks could bring coolers (no alcohol) and snacks if they wanted to do so.

Stay tuned for an update next week.

BTW Keith, I may look like a Grizzly, but I still go by Steve. :):

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    OK, it was you... Sorry.

We can possibly move the meeting start time to 11:00 am - 6:00, Lunch/Swap meet

Can someone get pictures of both locations, and post them on here. Please.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Will try to get pictures next week. Might want to discuss a Saturday vs Sunday meeting day and get an idea of which weekend and day to have it.

Of the 2 locations, keep in mind that the Lions Club Park is literally right on Hwy 52 just 1/2 mile east of the only stoplight in town. Sugar Creek Park is more secluded from the general public.
    Also, New Palestine is only a suggestion at the moment. If some body comes up with a better location, I'm fine with that.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    FWIW, I'll vote for either the weekend of October 9th or the 23rd. I'm booked up the other 3 weekends of the month.

Since the 1500 is the weekend of the 23rd, I'm guessing it won't be that weekend.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Agreed. Last thing we need is BATF looking to get some air time by "raiding a military encampment".

What would be the best way to send the word discreetly?

Lynn Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    MSG 2 / Indianapolis
    Just for the record no one had posted anything about trading guns. Nothing had been stated either way concerning that matter. As far as I know all that has been said is that it is a swap meet for trading surplus items. I was not at the last MSG2 meeting so if something was said there I missed it.

Right now MSG2 does not have another forum or method of communication set up. I know there was talk about it but as far as I know nothing has been done yet. It sounds like this is becoming more and more a concern so we should move it to the fore front of issues for the group.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Talk to Bendryx if you want to know about the more private MSG2 site. That's how the AAR would read if we had created one...

Gun swaps have not been talked about specifically at any time that I'm aware of in relation to the swap meet we want to have.

My big concern is more the number of people who open carry, and making sure whatever place is picked, can accommodate OC.

Gun swaps are private deals between individuals. I would not have guns for display in public that you are selling, or willing to trade. Post that stuff on here in the classifieds, or deal with via PM. Those are just my suggestions for how to conduct gun exchanges.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Talked with New Palestine Town Hall today. OC at the Lions Club Park is no problem with them. I would suggest that if that location is chosen, we stop by the local police station in advance and let them known about our gathering. Don't want any LEOs taken by surprise while they're cruisin' thru the area. I would also think that 1 -2 people should be the disagnated spokesperson(s)for the group should a conversation be required.

Sugar Creek Park is outside the city limits and it's jurisdiction, so New Palestine couldn't help me there. I have a call into the Hancock Co Sheriff to confirm the rules and regulations at that site. When I hear back from them, I will post accordingly.

So far as selling or trading guns at this gathering........:dunno:. I don't see where any laws are being broken, but a couple of tables with a lot of guns displayed could draw in some addition traffic that may not have our "high moral code". Something about "cast ye not your pearls before swine" comes to mind. And if it turned into a large crowd of swine (Hey Jimmy Joe, did you see all them guns over there? Let's go back with a bunch of the boys and do a little "shoppin'" He He He), security could become an issue. Yeah, yeah, I know we're all packin, but do you really want to draw down on a local good ol' boy and have to explain it to the judge? Better off to remove the temptation at the onset.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    This is getting way to complicated. Personally I say make it more simple and if people have guns that they want to see or trade then they can put them in the classifieds and the buyer can meet up when them whenever if people are that worried about it.

People have guns for sale at yard sales no problem all the time..........

Lynn, check your PM's.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sugar Creek Park is a go as well. There is a planned group scheduled to use it on 10/16 or 10/17. Other than that, we're good to go. Once I hear the official date for the other group, I'll post it. Then, we can co-ordinate a final date, time, and place.

Again, these locations are only suggestions. If someone has a better place in mind, I've got no problem with it.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    If you guys want to check in with the PD prior to the meeting then that's your call.

Personally, I don't care for the idea because it seems to me like having to check in with my parents and getting their permission before doing something. :twocents:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    If you guys want to check in with the PD prior to the meeting then that's your call.

Personally, I don't care for the idea because it seems to me like having to check in with my parents and getting their permission before doing something. :twocents:

I govern my life with a simple thought: It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission. :):

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Or a safety precaution given how many citizens with a gun calls seem to be happening lately...

I'm not saying everyone (or anyone) should check in, but having some contact w/ the local PD may be a prudent idea.

Top Bottom