MSR Whisperlite stove: HELP! I have ???s...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I just bought an MSR Whisperlite at everyone's favorite store: Gander Mountain.

Based on the packaging, I don't think I got the multi-fuel version, since it only lists "White Gas" under the fuel section of the package. I wanted the Dragonfly, but it was out of stock, so I figured I could ride the ice storm out with this one if it came down to it and then exchange it next week.

This whole "white gas" thing confuses the hell out of me, however. I have zero experience with camp stoves.

Just one shelf below the stoves, they had little 4 and 8 ounce cans of MSR "Isopro" fuel just like this one:

msr_isopro_8.jpg

I asked the guy if this particular stove could use this fuel and he said it could. I asked if I needed the little fuel bottles, like this one:

msr_bottles_trio.jpg

He said it didn't need one if I had the little cans above, so I figured he was right and bought a couple of the flatter bottles of Isopro.

What do you folks think? I'd hate to have to use this and have it go "wrong", if you know what I mean.

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    He sold you the wrong product, you need the re-fillable bottles (the ones in your second picture), and will add your own white gas. I have a few of the MSR whisper lites, and an extra bottle. If you want to meet tomorrow or later this week, i'll come to you and get you going. The bottle are cheaper on ebay than GM.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Dang it...

Thanks for the offer 6birds, I may take you up on it depending on how the weather pans out. Happily, if it comes to an "electricity is out" crisis, we do have the gas grill on the patio to boil water.

Where in the heck does one find "white gas"? Is that the same stuff a Coleman uses?

Ultimately, I want the Dragonfly, so once this passes, I'll just return this to GM and order one from Amazon or REI, unless some local outfitter (that knows what they're doing) like Rusted Moon or the like sells it.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Coleman fuel, yes, sold at walmart. Rusted moom is great too. Dragonfly uses the same coleman or white gas in the same bottle, you pump to pressurize, then light it and make your meal. Works at any temp or any elevation, great stoves, you're on the right track.

He sold you a isopropylene tank, which goes with a pocket rocket, super fly, or reactor stove.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I dont think the standard whisperlight is multi fuel. Coleman only. The international is multi.

Pressurize the tank and turn the valve till just a tiny bit enters the priming cup, light it to warm up the generator then turn on slowly. Never indoors. Follow the directions, its easy once you get the hang of it. Youtube probably has videos.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Those isopro vessels are 80/20 isobutane/propane. Great at altitude.

Doesn't surprise me a GM worker would confuse them with white gas and I'd like to watch him connect the stove you bought to the fuel he sold you.

Driller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Noblesville
    I would not get in a huge hurry to trade in the whisperlite, unless it was for an international. I think anyone who has owned and used one will tell you there are lighter options but none that are more durable. It is a great survival stove. I have had mine a little over 10 years and have never used any thing other than white gas. Although it is nice to know it will function well on other fuels. Shoot me a pm if you need help with it, I live in noblesville too.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    6birds sounds like he know a lot about these he made me go out and buy a MSR whisperlite international and a few fuel bottles for it. I have not had a chance to use it yet it is setting in my gun room. but i will be breaking it out soon to get familier with it before the backpack hunt.
    thanks 6birds for the valuable information.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I would not get in a huge hurry to trade in the whisperlite, unless it was for an international. I think anyone who has owned and used one will tell you there are lighter options but none that are more durable. It is a great survival stove. I have had mine a little over 10 years and have never used any thing other than white gas. Although it is nice to know it will function well on other fuels. Shoot me a pm if you need help with it, I live in noblesville too.

Yah, the Whisperlite is one of the best lightweight stoves on the market, hands down. I have the multi-fuel version and have owned several variants since MSR first came out with the XGK and the first Whisperlite.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    he made me go out and buy a MSR whisperlite international and a few fuel bottles for it.
    Made you? Ha, you'll love it.

I set mine up in the garage once in a while just to keep the o-rings in good shape and stay in practice. It make a percolator of good brew FAST!

Miguel, did you ever get it swapped out?

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Yah, the Whisperlite is one of the best lightweight stoves on the market, hands down. I have the multi-fuel version and have owned several variants since MSR first came out with the XGK and the first Whisperlite.

^^This^^

I have a Jetboil, it was a gift... and I do like it. However, best all around is MSR. Do not return it. Keep it. AND get one that uses the Isobutane. They are great for the Dayhikes... No priming.

Also, w/ the wisperlite... fashion yourself a windscreen IF you plan to use it outside... And too... try the "Backcountry Oven". Youll impress them all w/Brownies, pizza, etc in the backcountry.

Top Bottom