• ...and so much more!
  • ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    Tyler made me get this...

After speaking to him at the 1500 I went ahead and picked up my first Mule Team. It is in CPM S35VN. This is a steel I have high hopes for and I would love to see it start getting produced if it lives up to the things I have read about it. I haven't had a chance to cut much with it yet. But Ill be putting it through it's paces this week and post back what I think.

MuleTeamCPMs35vn.jpg

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I love the Mule Teams.

Here's my S-90V (I have two of these):
    4323532171_a081676321_b.jpg

I have one in M4 too... love it.

Let us know what you think of the 35V... I'm not going to buy this one unless it turns out to be spectacular... unless my wife finds a job or I finally sell my house :-(

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    halpren titianium is producing premade to fit handles... and i think someone was doing the same with sheaths for them fitted with those scales. makes for a very nice knife, with no work. a great way to get a knife with a scarce new steel and try it out!

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    Update on the new knife…
    Well since I have had the blade for a couple of days now I have had the chance to do a little more reviewing. Basically I have been cutting all sorts of stuff just to see how the steel performs.
    First off as expected the blade was sharp out of the box. Not scary sharp but sharp enough to easily shave off arm hair. After that initial test came the more random objects… I cut everything from plastic milk rings, bits of paper, scraps of rope, to shredding the box it came in.
    IMG_0877.jpg

And of course I got hungry in there too. So I used it for all my kitchen tasks as well.
    IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

I also took it out side and hacked on some various branches and sticks. While not big or heavy enough for any kind of chopping or splitting action, it did slice and carve the wood well. Here is a piece I feathered out; it also made good tinder or fuzzy sticks.
    IMG_0895.jpg

While I haven’t put it under any serious abuse, I believe it has performed quite well. Oh and after everything I have cut it will still shave of hairs with ease…
    So far so good.

Also I checked out those TI scales. Looks cool but right now I going to save the funds for more steel and probably just use some 550 cord and wrap up the handle. But who knows maybe down the line Ill spring for some because I really do like this knife.

What did you use for the scales on yours deaner? Micarta? Look’s nice.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Those are G-10 scales. I bought a sheet from a knife builder's supply shop (Jantz supply, I believe) for $20; should be enough to do 3 of the mules. I bought a copper rod from the same shop for the pins. I cut the G10 to rough shape on a scrollsaw, then epoxied them on the handle with the pins. The rest of the process involved drum sanders in my drill press, followed by sanding with progressively finer grits of wet-or-dry, and a turtle wax job at the end. It ended up taking about 4-hours altogether.

The pictures really don't do the handle justice. It is contoured to fit my hand, and the rings from the red/black G-10 really look great.

Top Bottom