• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i had a buddy in gillette wyoming the same time i was there. he was hunting mulies and i was hunting pronghorn. he got a 165ish mulie and i think he said he paid 2500. if you want more info let me know

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sounds like a 120gr pill would be mighty fine mulie medicine!

I've shot several cartridges in my life, but I've not checked that one off "the list" yet. Sounds like you've got a mighty fine rig, indybrad!

-J-

onesurveyor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I would suggest Nw Nebraska. The pine ridge hunting area Has a lot of deer in public ground to hunt. I go out there with some buddies and we camp cheap and eat cheap. All and all we can get a 10 day hunting trip for less than a grand a piece.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    Hey Indy,
    Don't forget Colorado. Spent 20+ years there chasing Mulie's and the ever be damned Elk around the state. Your 25-06 will do well, you will need the 120gr Nosler's, just try to keep the ranges shorter, maybe 300-350yds. As far as where to hunt, that's changed alot in the last couple of years. You could try the Flattops area, between Triangle Park and Buford, little spot called Heiner Springs. Good flat relatively open areas for the little .25-06, also lots of steep, gnarly dark crap to climb around in if you've got a good sized pistol, say a .44Mag or larger. I will warn you about one thing though. GET YOUR ASS IN SHAPE!!! You've no idea just how little fun a hunting trip is if you can't walk with your backpack or even worse get smacked with a hideously nasty case of altitude sickness. Sigh, I keep telling people that and NOBODY believes me. Anyway, there's lots of good hunting, get up in the mountains west of Denver and then maybe 25 or 30 miles North or South of I70 and have fun. If you want to hunt in Colorado, be warned also that the application deadline is in the 1st week or so of April.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Hey Indy,
    Don't forget Colorado. Spent 20+ years there chasing Mulie's and the ever be damned Elk around the state. Your 25-06 will do well, you will need the 120gr Nosler's, just try to keep the ranges shorter, maybe 300-350yds. As far as where to hunt, that's changed alot in the last couple of years. You could try the Flattops area, between Triangle Park and Buford, little spot called Heiner Springs. Good flat relatively open areas for the little .25-06, also lots of steep, gnarly dark crap to climb around in if you've got a good sized pistol, say a .44Mag or larger. I will warn you about one thing though. GET YOUR ASS IN SHAPE!!! You've no idea just how little fun a hunting trip is if you can't walk with your backpack or even worse get smacked with a hideously nasty case of altitude sickness. Sigh, I keep telling people that and NOBODY believes me. Anyway, there's lots of good hunting, get up in the mountains west of Denver and then maybe 25 or 30 miles North or South of I70 and have fun. If you want to hunt in Colorado, be warned also that the application deadline is in the 1st week or so of April.

i actually hunted elk in the flattop mountains near rifle about 10 years ago. deffintally get in shape

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    I would suggest Nw Nebraska. The pine ridge hunting area Has a lot of deer in public ground to hunt. I go out there with some buddies and we camp cheap and eat cheap. All and all we can get a 10 day hunting trip for less than a grand a piece.

This sounds interesting. can you post or PM me some more info on this.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    I will be out in the Flat Tops for second season bull elk in Area 24. Will start the getting in shape thing soon, but the horses we'll be on will bear the brunt of the walking and climbing thing. BTW, the cost for just the 5 day hunt is $3600.00, license is $579.00, taking the slow way out, so if we see something interesting, we'll stop, screw that straight through stuff, so who knows how much that is going to add up to with gas prices being what they are. With a 90% success rate, add the cost of processing to every thing else. Best save your money, do your home work and find some public land [millions of acres to choose from] and camp out.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Colorado is lovely, but don't rule out northern Utah or Idaho (Salmon area is particularly astounding!!) I'll see if I can find out any recommended guides in the area.

Top Bottom