• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I'm going to war with this invasive species, Multiflora Rose.

It's scattered throughout my woods, and we have one fairly large dense spot. If you've walked through it, you know how painful it can be.

The deer love it, but I'd rather just be rid of it.

Has anyone successfully removed it from their property? I have everything from small sprouts to thick, almost inch thick trunks.

I've read I can spray Crossbow on it now (and glysophate in the spring), and it'll likely kill it.

69946bb65c269eecdc44932c7ec5e2d5.jpg
    f8060f5425b3e6bea63893ce1fd90a6f.jpg

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Good luck.. I used a bobcat and cut underneath several and turned it upside down.. then burnt it. It slowly came back. I sprayed it in the spring and that was 3 years ago. What ones I did that to died.
    Another thing that comes back again and hangs on is the “why the hate for cyclists thread”

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Multiflora is not the threat that bush honeysuckle is. It just has more thorns. It is pretty easy to kill with glyphosate in the spring. Crossbow (2-4 D) foliar spray kills it and anything under it. Tordon on stumps works but with m/f rose it's a pain in the ass to get stumps made.

Thanks and yes, there are so many sprouts that are just vines I would not be able to get Tordon to work.

I picked up some Crossbow today and have glysophate on hand. I read the Crossbow can work while it's dormant, then I'll follow up with anything left in the spring with glysophate.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Thanks and yes, there are so many sprouts that are just vines I would not be able to get Tordon to work.

I picked up some Crossbow today and have glyphosate on hand. I read the Crossbow can work while it's dormant, then I'll follow up with anything left in the spring with glyphosate.
    FTFY.

Looks weird, I know. But it is glyPHoSate. Ph before S

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Some disease is killing it here in the GSF, I see less and less every year. The leaves curl and turn small and brown, the gardener says that it is Rosette, a virus that affects all roses.
    Maybe have her mail OP some cuttings to sprinkle about his property? For good measure of course.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Maybe have her mail OP some cuttings to sprinkle about his property? For good measure of course.

My understanding is that the disease is spread by some sort of mite underground. She dug up the affected roses and burned them spraying the holes and surrounding dirt with a heavy dose of permethryn, then changed flowers in that area to marigolds.

So far it has not spread to any of her other rose beds, but the mulitflora around the house is all dead and it seems to be slowly moving through the forest.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    My understanding is that the disease is spread by some sort of mite underground. She dug up the affected roses and burned them spraying the holes and surrounding dirt with a heavy dose of permethryn, then changed flowers in that area to marigolds.

So far it has not spread to any of her other rose beds, but the mulitflora around the house is all dead and it seems to be slowly moving through the forest.
    Yup.
    Not the PITA it used to be. When I was a youth, we had a ton of it on the farm. Now it's autumn olive and bush honeysuckle.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

Glad to see nature is taking care of nature, now I just need get this mite...

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Good luck.. I used a bobcat and cut underneath several and turned it upside down.. then burnt it. It slowly came back. I sprayed it in the spring and that was 3 years ago. What ones I did that to died.
    Another thing that comes back again and hangs on is the “why the hate for cyclists thread”
    See, if we could just get cyclists to ride in multiflora rose patches instead of the road, then that would be a win win for everyone. ;)

As for getting rid of the devil vine, I'm not sure anything less than a herd of hungry goats or nuking it from orbit will be 100% effective.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    When I said Multiflora Rose, I meant MULTIflora Rose. It appears to be heavily concentrated above where an old oil pipeline is...I bet it likes the lack of dense forest there.

I'll put in a call to my district forester after the holiday to see if he has any suggestions.
    ab2cf114752451ce5d41d4d08658a894.jpg
    d441cd69f678d4ace839f239dc679ce0.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Burn it.

We raked a path through the woods a week ago to one of our tree stands. This section of his woods has a pretty thick 50' canopy and not much undergrowth. The soil below the leaves was incredibly dark and rich. We're planning to use a couple of leaf blowers, clear out nice wide fire stops and burn the floor to get rid of invasive species and open up the soil for fresh growth to get some sun. Combined with selective hinge cutting we're hoping to get the area reestablished with some native species the wildlife will benefit from.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    You can knock it down for a season with chems, but for long term you gotta kill the root system.

Check some Purdue forage web sites…..Prof Johnson is the go to guy. JMO

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    There was a time, back in the day, that DNR actually raised fields of Multiflora Rose cuttings. They gave them away free to land owners, for "habitat improvement". As invasive go, it's mostly good for wildlife. I know there are bird species that depend on the rose hips for a late winter food source, and I'd bet that deer browse on it also. I've cussed it many times, and it's why I only take cheap Frogtog rain suits when I deer hunt, since they get shredded.

This year, about a week after dragging a deer out of the HNF, I felt a sore place on my ribs on my left side. Further examination, and minor self-surgery revealed a rose thorn. I even remembered when I got it, going the last ten yards out to the road when I just gritted my teeth and bulled through the last briar/rose patch. Lucky it didn't get infected too bad.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    There was a time, back in the day, that DNR actually raised fields of Multiflora Rose cuttings. They gave them away free to land owners, for "habitat improvement". As invasive go, it's mostly good for wildlife. I know there are bird species that depend on the rose hips for a late winter food source, and I'd bet that deer browse on it also. I've cussed it many times, and it's why I only take cheap Frogtog rain suits when I deer hunt, since they get shredded.

This year, about a week after dragging a deer out of the HNF, I felt a sore place on my ribs on my left side. Further examination, and minor self-surgery revealed a rose thorn. I even remembered when I got it, going the last ten yards out to the road when I just gritted my teeth and bulled through the last briar/rose patch. Lucky it didn't get infected too bad.
    Yep, many encouraged it as a natural fence line. Deer love it, the previous owner of my property did a few things to make it more attractive to deer...

I'd hope he didn't plant the two large thickets of it, but the more I think about it, he likely did.

I'm pulling out all the small ones that sprout up around the property, just sprayed the big thickets with crossbow, and will hit with glyphosate when they leaf up in the spring.

Top Bottom