• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Intriguing.

I have read about some guns having 2 even 3 barrels?
    To change out barrels is it like cleaning them and you just put a different slide back in with a different caliber?
    I have read with some calibers you don't have to have change out springs or anything, which I guess it would not be a bother to replace that if you are putting it back together after cleaning it anyway.

Do a lot of people do this, or it costs so much that you might as well buy used guns of the calibers wanted?
    I thought it would be cool to have a 9mm and a higher caliber also.

When I get done playing with small 9mm I will want to try out some bigger 9mm eventually.
    I am intrigued that there seem to be some good prices on used guns with 40 caliber, but I guess supply and demand goes into effect with people leaving the 40 caliber and going elsewhere.

I wonder if some guns sell with 2 barrels?
    I think I see some used ones occasionally with 2 barrels.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The only thing I've seen is conversions from 7.62x25 and 9mm Lugar, and some XXX to .22 LR. Not saying others don't exist...

Since the side and internals are the same, it must all be big enough for the larger caliber, i.e. dead space when used with 9mm, however, I think many 9mm and .40 S&W are the same sizes externally, so probably not an issue there.

Of course, you'd have to have magazines for both calibers.

dtthomps

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2017
    Fishers
    Rock island armory has a model that comes with two barrels .22 TCM and 9mm. I have found some "used" glocks that were factory .40 and came with a 9mm conversion barrels. I've seen magnum research sells some of the Desert eagles with two extra barrels besides the 50 a.e

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I know allot of guys run .40 short and weak Glocks with 9mm and .357 Sig barrels the Glock 22 seems to be a popular model for this type of conversion. You can also get Dan Wesson revolvers that come with multiple barrels each with a different length allowing one gun to fill multiple roles. It does not appear that a "barrel swap caliber conversion" is available for many other guns as they would require more extensive fitting to make them work.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If you're already shooting 9mm, you don't have many options.

you can generally "convert down" in many popular platforms - Glock, M&P, XD (and likely others)

The most common combination I see is people converting a .40 down to 9mm.
    But, a quick look at Lone Wolf barrels (mostly Glock) will show you all sorts of cool possibilities
    .40 converted down to 9mm, 357sig, 9x25 dillon
    .45 acp converted down to 40 super (there used to be others too.)

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Some models can be cost prohibitive. Sig offers th exchange kits, but based on the prices I saw last I would just buy another Sig in the caliber I wanted. The Tanfoglio Witness line has a similar option available for it, but it's expensive as well.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Intriguing.

I have read about some guns having 2 even 3 barrels?
    To change out barrels is it like cleaning them and you just put a different slide back in with a different caliber?
    I have read with some calibers you don't have to have change out springs or anything, which I guess it would not be a bother to replace that if you are putting it back together after cleaning it anyway.

Do a lot of people do this, or it costs so much that you might as well buy used guns of the calibers wanted?
    I thought it would be cool to have a 9mm and a higher caliber also.

When I get done playing with small 9mm I will want to try out some bigger 9mm eventually.
    I am intrigued that there seem to be some good prices on used guns with 40 caliber, but I guess supply and demand goes into effect with people leaving the 40 caliber and going elsewhere.

I wonder if some guns sell with 2 barrels?
    I think I see some used ones occasionally with 2 barrels.

Generally, most handguns do not come with multiple barrels and the extra barrels have to be purchased from aftermarket sources. I have 9mm, .40 S&W, and .357 Sig barrels for M&P and the only other thing that is needed to switch from 9mm to either of the other two calibers is a .40/.357 magazine. The barrels were ~$120 apiece and entirely worth it in my opinion.

If you're already shooting 9mm, you don't have many options.

you can generally "convert down" in many popular platforms - Glock, M&P, XD (and likely others)

The most common combination I see is people converting a .40 down to 9mm.
    But, a quick look at Lone Wolf barrels (mostly Glock) will show you all sorts of cool possibilities
    .40 converted down to 9mm, 357sig, 9x25 dillon
    .45 acp converted down to 40 super (there used to be others too.)

With the M&P you can swap up from 9mm to .40 S&W or .357 Sig with just a barrel and magazine change.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Not much new to add but most conversions take the larger gun and convert down. Going from the smaller caliber to larger one runs into problems fitting the larger round physically within the gun as well as the larger/more powerful round damaging the pistol.

IWI/MR Desert Eagle: .50ae, .44mag, .357mag
    IWI Jericho 941: 9mm, .41ae

There are a lot of 40 to .357Sig conversions since the .357Sig is very similar dimensionally to the .40
    .45 or .40 to 10mm are less common but possible depending on pistol dimensions.
    I've seen kits to convert a .380acp LCP to 9mm

There are .22 conversion kits out there for a number of pistols (1911s, M&P, CZ75, etc).

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Blazer R8.

Blaser USA:*R8 Bolt Action Rifle

(How the other half lives.)

-Nate

The OP is about handguns, but...
    The poor man's Blaser R8 is the T/C Dimension -- it's actually a really amazing piece of engineering that groups calibers together in families. If you stay int he same "family" you can use the same bolt and chassis/receiver, just switching barrels. This is for a BOLT ACTION, MAG-FED gun!!! Very cool!
    So, you can shoot .22-250, .243, 7mm-08, and .308 with just switching the barrel. THey have 4 different caliber families last time I looked

Thompson Center (T/C) "contender" and "encore" do this in a single-shot gun.

I had one and sold it, which I kind of regret. There is something to be said for for the ease of just owning multiple handguns or rifles as opposed to changing out barrels.

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    With my Sig P229, it came in .40 S&W, I bought a Sig factory .357 Sig barrel off the net for $100 years ago and recently added a Bar-Sto 9mm barrel as mine
    is one of the earlier models which factory Sig 9MM barrels won't fit. So right now I have 3 calibers with a barrel change only, slide and springs stay the same.

I can also get a Sig Factory .22 LR kit, but then I would have to use the dedicated .22 LR slide and magazine. On .40/.357 & 9MM all use the same springs, mags and slide. Hope that helps!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    With my Sig P229, it came in .40 S&W, I bought a Sig factory .357 Sig barrel off the net for $100 years ago and recently added a Bar-Sto 9mm barrel as mine
    is one of the earlier models which factory Sig 9MM barrels won't fit. So right now I have 3 calibers with a barrel change only, slide and springs stay the same.

I can also get a Sig Factory .22 LR kit, but then I would have to use the dedicated .22 LR slide and magazine. On .40/.357 & 9MM all use the same springs, mags and slide. Hope that helps!

1. Awesome!
    2. I was reading about a Glock that had 3 barrels last evening.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    If I found used 40 caliber glocks cheap enough I'd buy one and get a 9mm conversion barrel. But I haven't been able to find one cheap enough where it's smarter to buy a dedicated 9mm gun.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

Now let me ask this, how often do you actually swap them out for real reasons (other than "I feel like plinking with .22 today rather than .357$$$")?

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    Now let me ask this, how often do you actually swap them out for real reasons (other than "I feel like plinking with .22 today rather than .357$$$")?

Since I got the .357 Sig barrel, I hardly shoot .40 S&W anymore. If I find a steal deal on .40 I'll buy a box or two and run it through it. The .357 is in the gun most of the time. This is my EDC and I love the .357 cartridge. On weekends, I switch it out to 9mm so plinking and target shooting is cheaper. The old lady can't handle the recoil of the .40 and .357, but is GTG in 9mm so if I'm gone, I'll carry my .45 and have the 229 in 9mm for her.

I do have at least one box of good HP's for the .40 and 9MM and lot of .357

Top Bottom