• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MSS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2014
    Westfield
    I own Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield. The form dictactes need for report of disposition of multiple handguns (revolvers or pistols) if two or more are sold within 5 consecutive business days. Businss days refers to days open by the FFL. If you are open Monday through Friday and sell one handgun on Friday and then another on Thursday, a report is needed. If you then sell a third handgun two business days later, another form is submitted and reference is made to the previous form already submitted. One copy is mailed or faxed to the ATF the other is mailed to the State Police. There is no bearing on the customer's sales history with other dealers, only firearms sold under your own FFL. Even if a customer admits to me they just bought a hangun somewhere else, I just shrug and say "cool". I do not chase after their purchase history and fill out a form (that would require I call the other dealer and get the fiream and sales history on it, which no dealer will hand over to anyone other than a badged ATF agent).

Hope that helps.

I was told at my start-up meeting with my ATF agent (several years ago) that the forms are used to help track and stop gun trafficers. Take that for what you will.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Just be glad in Indiana it's only multiple handguns......some states require long guns as well

I could only imagine the tin foil hat freaking out if long guns were required

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I own Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield. The form dictactes need for report of disposition of multiple handguns (revolvers or pistols) if two or more are sold within 5 consecutive business days. Businss days refers to days open by the FFL. If you are open Monday through Friday and sell one handgun on Friday and then another on Thursday, a report is needed. If you then sell a third handgun two business days later, another form is submitted and reference is made to the previous form already submitted. One copy is mailed or faxed to the ATF the other is mailed to the State Police. There is no bearing on the customer's sales history with other dealers, only firearms sold under your own FFL. Even if a customer admits to me they just bought a hangun somewhere else, I just shrug and say "cool". I do not chase after their purchase history and fill out a form (that would require I call the other dealer and get the fiream and sales history on it, which no dealer will hand over to anyone other than a badged ATF agent).

Hope that helps.

I was told at my start-up meeting with my ATF agent (several years ago) that the forms are used to help track and stop gun trafficers. Take that for what you will.

Does that apply to sales you perform, only, or to transfers done through you, as well?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    yeah its really,no big deal. Just required of the dealers. The individual doesn't have to inform the dealer or anything. Most people are.shocked when They learn of the form being filed about them for buying 2 or more handguns in 7 business days. Some dealers don't even tell their customers. It's not a form that has to be signed by the customer and all the info is taken off the 4473's.
    However ATF does keep track of large numbers of firearms purchases through their own database. I've never been told what that threshold number of guns is to be flagged but you will most likely know if yoy meet it becauze they come and knock on your door sometimes lol. Or so I've been told by a couple reliable sources.
    Also as told by,an atf examiner its 7 business days that the store you bought from is open. So if you buy a handgun from a store that is only open 1 day a week thennwithin 7 weeks if you buy one more.handgun from that store then a form should or Will be submitted

I know a guy that this happened to... They visited him at his work. He didn't get in any trouble, as he hadn't done anything illegal. He was a little curious as to why they came to see him if he wasn't in the wrong basically, but they did talk to him and want to know why exactly he'd bought so many guns (hand guns especially) in a short period of time. The number was large though, I think he had bought more in a small time frame than I own in total though.

Top Bottom