• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Apparently there is a new (or new to me) training company in Muncie. They appear to do some of their training indoors with UTM ammo and conversions. I assume it includes Force on Force as well.

They are having an open house on August 6th. I may have to go check it out.

Antone familiar with these folks?

******************************* Edit August 7, 2016*****************************

Well, we went up and checked them out. The open house was pretty friendly and welcoming. We were given a tour of the facility and had the opportunity to speak with two of the main instructors, Tony and Eric. I didn't take any notes but I'll give some info and share my impressions.

MTAC uses UTM conversion slides and bolts for all of the indoor shooting. This is not a live-fire range facility. Most of their classes use the conversions for the whole class. There are a couple, like the rifle class, where the live-fire portion is done at an off-site range. Most of the pistol classes are done in a 4 hour format. The classes progress from their Armed Citizen course, which is intro level, mainly "square range" type stuff, up through the Armed in Public, Armed at Work, and Home Defense type classes where it sounds like things get a little more advanced. I was provided with a list of courses, but the course descriptions are not very detailed and don't tell me a lot about what specifically to expect from each one. The list contains 19 different classes ranging from the basic pistol offerings, rifle, shotgun, vehicle, and self-aid medical.

From what I recall of the conversation, not all of the classes incorporate force-on-force. The classes progress from shooting static targets, to force-on-role-player (the role player isn't really shooting back), to force-on-force in later classes. One thing I did ask about was the safety protocol for the FoF environment. They indicated the facility does not allow live weapons or ammo. Lockers are provided at the entrance, and students go through a two-phase pat-down and metal detector wand search before entering the training area.

The training area includes two fairly large class rooms, a dedicated "square range" area, and a large shoot-house. It is set up to simulate a house in most areas, complete with mock furnishings, a garage, etc. It is large and well thought-out, especially if your goal is to teach and train movement through structures, room clearing, or similar issues. Though, I'm not sure they intend to teach those skills to the average citizen (more on that later). Their SWAT background shows in the design of the shoot house. There are L-shaped hallways with offset doors, windows which can be opened and closed, a stairs with a landing, a catwalk area where instructors or observes can overlook the rooms, and more. A few photos should help.

28212920273_32e61474c8_z.jpg

28543534300_13e71c1202_z.jpg

28543534680_9e4834b7a5_z.jpg

28212906523_f7fdc32e44_c.jpg

28212912383_f5347cd486_c.jpg

28212924983_7b2337b4ca_c.jpg

28212924643_f2ee2932cc_c.jpg

28212923123_69f42c517b_c.jpg

The photos are just a taste. You really have to be there to appreciate what they've done with the shoot house. It's a pretty nice facility. In addition to the courses, MTAC also plans to host some other events. A haunted house, zombie shoot, various competitions, and Mil-Sim type events were described. The facility is also available for rent, and an individual or group can contact them about private events, corporate team-building exercises, or individual private training.

Overall I got a good impression and came away thinking it would be someplace I'd want to go try out. The instructors were nice, easy to talk to, sounded experienced with what they were teaching, and knowledgeable. There were a couple fairly minor things that threw up a caution flag for me. One was a description of a drill I wasn't too sure would have much value (depending on how it's presented). Since I didn't take the class or participate in the drill, I wont describe it or make a judgement. The instructors also tended to describe non-police as "civilians", which I know kind of irks some folks around here. :) When I was talking to the instructor about classes that incorporate couples or partners working together and also about some of the finer points of moving through structures, he indicated there were some things he didn't want to teach "civilians" because they could be used against "us" (police). That generally goes against my philosophy. In general, I have some reservations about training somewhere that might hold back info that could help me. I'm not saying they intend to hold anything back, and I have very little knowledge about specifically what they would or wouldn't teach the average citizen. It was just a comment that happened to ride home with me and I thought I'd share. I will have to take a class and see how it goes to form any real opinion.

As I said, overall, the folks we spoke to seemed knowledgeable and willing to teach. They appeared to have a passion for what they are doing and want to make people safer. Force on Force is an important part of a complete training program and I'm glad to see a place with this much potential open in Indiana. I will definitely be checking out a class with them out.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I would check it out with you, but I will be in Nappanee at the Rangemaster courses. It is a good time to be a student. At this rate, there will be more instructors than students.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Apparently there is a new (or new to me) training company in Muncie. They appear to do some of their training indoors with UTM ammo and conversions. I assume it includes Force on Force as well.

They are having an open house on August 6th. I may have to go check it out.

Antone familiar with these folks?
    Never heard of them. I have been trying to find someone a bit closer to me to get things started.

Maybe if I check them out Jason will stop brow beating me for not getting enough training.

Being fat, lazy and living in the middle of Nowheresville keeps me from making the trips I know I should be making.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Never heard of them. I have been trying to find someone a bit closer to me to get things started.

Maybe if I check them out Jason will stop brow beating me for not getting enough training.

Being fat, lazy and living in the middle of Nowheresville keeps me from making the trips I know I should be making.

I'm fatter and lazier. We should be training partners.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Is this a threat assessment center located in Muncie, or a center that assesses threats in Muncie?

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I'm fatter and lazier. We should be training partners.
    We have yet to meet... last time I tried you had a root canal excuse... and don't judge my by my fat, lazy attitude... I have put a lot of time and money into looking like this.

I am intrigued by the closeness of the place. The fact that almost all of the trainers seem to be over qualified to teach one as lowly as me is a drawback tho.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We have yet to meet... last time I tried you had a root canal excuse... and don't judge my by my fat, lazy attitude... I have put a lot of time and money into looking like this.

I am intrigued by the closeness of the place. The fact that almost all of the trainers seem to be over qualified to teach one as lowly as me is a drawback tho.

Yeah, that abscess was wicked. The root canal was blessed relief after that!

George zapped the crap out of my side fat with his stun gun at dinner after a subsequent class. You missed it.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I think they had to change batteries after I went thru the zap gauntlet.

So, meet you in Muncie on the 6th? I am going to go check these guys out... just to see the looks on their faces when I say I want to train.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I showed up and had a walk thru with Jackson and Jason. They did most of the talking and question asking. I do not have the training that either of them, so I wanted to see what they thought.

Jackson took some pics... a couple candid shots and maybe one or two that shouldn't be shown on an open forum. <grin> He will do a write up on the experience I am sure... and it will be much better than my rant.

I liked what they said. I have never shot the UTM cartridges, but I am intrigued. There are a lot of different classes that they will be rolling out. I tripped up and didn't get back online to sign up when I finally got home. Tried this morning and the first class I could take is booked.

They have small class sizes (12 students IIRC) and with all the people that were walking thru I knew better... but didn't act in time.

I didn't hear any Timmy Tacticool ranting, which I worried I might. I think that the starter classes will be good for me. Close enough to not need to re-arrange my busy schedule. Price seems fair enough to kick me into gear about taking more much needed training.

They have a membership that they were pushing pretty hard. Would be a good deal, as long as you enjoyed the classes. I need to get at least one under my belt thru them before I would even consider dropping that much coin for a membership.

The range seems pretty straight forward. Big area with targets against opposite walls. Then they have a shoot house set-up. That will be the real draw for a lot of people. You can run and gun for some time in that place. If things get too boring they have the capability to change the layout as well.

They offer static range for target shooting, plus they have multiple scenarios already set up for role playing type shoot situations.

The ammo is a bit expensive. You must use a conversion kit to run it, or a bolt for a couple different rifle types that they offer. Glocks were readily available along with I think a Sig, an HK (all in 9mm) and they said they have a .38 special version but I didn't see it. Would be nice if they also had M&P sets as that is what I carry, but heck they are just getting started and I know they will get more as they grow and the need arises.

They sell the ammo and conversion kits as well.

Long story short (too late I know), I found the place interesting and look forward to taking a class when one becomes available.

Maybe I should say that the place sucks in a bad way... that way the slots won't fill as fast and I have a better chance of getting in.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Looks to me like the Delaware County SO decided to go into business for itself. :): I like this UTM thing. Are they the only ones using it here?

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I showed up and had a walk thru with Jackson and Jason. They did most of the talking and question asking. I do not have the training that either of them, so I wanted to see what they thought.

Jackson took some pics... a couple candid shots and maybe one or two that shouldn't be shown on an open forum. <grin> He will do a write up on the experience I am sure... and it will be much better than my rant.

I liked what they said. I have never shot the UTM cartridges, but I am intrigued. There are a lot of different classes that they will be rolling out. I tripped up and didn't get back online to sign up when I finally got home. Tried this morning and the first class I could take is booked.

They have small class sizes (12 students IIRC) and with all the people that were walking thru I knew better... but didn't act in time.

I didn't hear any Timmy Tacticool ranting, which I worried I might. I think that the starter classes will be good for me. Close enough to not need to re-arrange my busy schedule. Price seems fair enough to kick me into gear about taking more much needed training.

They have a membership that they were pushing pretty hard. Would be a good deal, as long as you enjoyed the classes. I need to get at least one under my belt thru them before I would even consider dropping that much coin for a membership.

The range seems pretty straight forward. Big area with targets against opposite walls. Then they have a shoot house set-up. That will be the real draw for a lot of people. You can run and gun for some time in that place. If things get too boring they have the capability to change the layout as well.

They offer static range for target shooting, plus they have multiple scenarios already set up for role playing type shoot situations.

The ammo is a bit expensive. You must use a conversion kit to run it, or a bolt for a couple different rifle types that they offer. Glocks were readily available along with I think a Sig, an HK (all in 9mm) and they said they have a .38 special version but I didn't see it. Would be nice if they also had M&P sets as that is what I carry, but heck they are just getting started and I know they will get more as they grow and the need arises.

They sell the ammo and conversion kits as well.

Long story short (too late I know), I found the place interesting and look forward to taking a class when one becomes available.

Maybe I should say that the place sucks in a bad way... that way the slots won't fill as fast and I have a better chance of getting in.

Awesome. I was hoping that you'd think it worthwhile. I had to work yesterday and wasn't able to attend. I've been looking for an intro class that's a balance between cost effective and close to home (everything I've been able to find is either too expensive for what I can feasibly swing right now or 2-3+ hours away). Thanks for the info!!

D-Bo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Funcie
    I just left the place. Good people and knowledgeable. They are doing a zombie run and gun! It was awesome! Wife is wanting to take the female only class

Top Bottom