• ...and so much more!
  • MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I got drawn for two reserved hunts this year- a pheasant hunt on GBA, and a muzzleloader deer hunt at Muscatatuck.

Anyone here who has hunted Muscatatuck have any insider info they could share?
    I have read the information sheet from USFW, and see that stands are to be removed daily. So is a climber the best way to go?

Can this area be scouted before hunting? I have looked over the map, but that can only go so far with selecting the right spot to hunt.

Regarding the draw hunt, are there more than one hunters drawn per area for the specified day of hunt? I know I can take one guest with me, but wasn't sure if it was like the pheasant hunt where I and my hunting partners are the only ones on the property.

Any other info would be helpful, I have never been drawn for a deer hunt and all my deer hunting has been on private property up until now.

Ken_P

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2022
    Anderson, IN
    I didn't get the Muscatatuck draw this year, but I've been drawn at Muscatatuck twice and had luck on both draws in the morning - harvested deer (buck and a doe) before 9am, hunting the same area.

The spot I hunt is easy to get to, if you want to check it out: Take the main road in to the park (you'll pick up your card and sign in there) and follow it all the way back to the back of the park until it T's. I always turn right and park & hunt the woods on the left (south). There's a path right at the T that you can walk in deeper.

Good hunting, let us know how you do.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Had another question.
    I've never hunted deer on public land before, and was wondering what is the etiquette/protocol for field dressing deer on public land?

Any time I have done put-and-take, I leave the birds whole until I get home, then clean them. When I get deer on private land, I field dress them right where they fall.

Thanks

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Had another question.
    I've never hunted deer on public land before, and was wondering what is the etiquette/protocol for field dressing deer on public land?

Any time I have done put-and-take, I leave the birds whole until I get home, then clean them. When I get deer on private land, I field dress them right where they fall.

Thanks
    You can field dress the deer where you find the deer at and leave the guts there.. Rules are the same as hunting on private land for field dressing and have to keep the head on until registering your harvest and a confirmation number is issued.

Last edited:

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Bill Scifres sure would.

I've not hunted there, but hiked some for wildlife photography. Deer everywhere though. Lots of wetlands which create bottlenecks, I'd scout some of those first. And the regularly disturbed areas, if allowed to hunt them - typically recreation areas you're not but I'd get clarification.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Bill Scifres sure would.

I've not hunted there, but hiked some for wildlife photography. Deer everywhere though. Lots of wetlands which create bottlenecks, I'd scout some of those first. And the regularly disturbed areas, if allowed to hunt them - typically recreation areas you're not but I'd get clarification.
    Not too many people remember Bill Scifres but I read his column avidly. Somewhere I have a signed copy of his book.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I was drawn for a two day archery hunt a number of years ago. Nobody stuck a deer. If I remember right, my buddy and I had an area to ourselves. The Old Timbers lodge was fascinating though.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Had another question.

Thanks
    Generally, it's frowned upon to dress the deer right on a hiking trail or roadway but otherwise you're good to go.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Generally, it's frowned upon to dress the deer right on a hiking trail or roadway but otherwise you're good to go.
    Yeah, I get that. One of the reasons I wait to clean pheasant after a put-n-take is because I thought it a bit rude to find that others dressed theirs in the parking lot.

It's always best to keep in mind there are others using the public lands, and if you get people complaining about gut piles...hunters may lose the use of those public lands.:twocents:

Top Bottom