• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    Musky fishing has been pretty good with a few real nice fish finding their way to my net this year. Had a trip to St. Clair that was a bit of a disappointment but still a good time. Managed a 44" casting and lost a real big one trolling. Had a lot of follows but the fish would not eat. I did boat another monster Indiana Musky. 48" + and heavy.

See ya on the water!!

18258641764760948142256.jpg

whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    Aren't the water temps way too hot to be fishing muskie here in Indy. Good chance of killing one with water so hot.

Did I say it was caught this week..or even last?? I fished a river north of me and the water temps were 78. I NEVER fish past water temps over 80, even though most of the guides still do and Jed Pierson (DNR Biologist) tells us it doesnt hurt the fish. But thanks for making a nice comment.

Last edited:

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    Nice fish , my brother and I pulled a .46.5 and a 47 out of Webster last spring , heck of a good time. We totaled 6 fish that day. Won a pole for biggest fish

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Did I say it was caught this week..or even last?? I fished a river north of me and the water temps were 78. I NEVER fish past water temps over 80, even though most of the guides still do and Jed Pierson (DNR Biologist) tells us it doesnt hurt the fish. But thanks for making a nice comment.

The respectable guides don't and there have been studies showing high mortality rates when muskies are caught and released with temps at 80 or higher which they are in the most Indiana lakes.

whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    The respectable guides don't and there have been studies showing high mortality rates when muskies are caught and released with temps at 80 or higher which they are in the most Indiana lakes.

Just to make it clear. I DO NOT recommend musky fishing when the water temps are above 80 (mid 80s or more now), so wait til it cools down a bit and have at em'. Until then I suggest catfish or some late night bass fishing.

Here is a Copy/Paste of a post from another site where I am the MOD under Pike/Musky fishing. Hope you find it helpful.

Word is out!!.. The local Musky waters have been freed from the ice and fish are already being caught. I am chomping at the bit to get out and get that first hard hit. Before you take your first trip of the year for the toothy critters, remember to check a few things first.
    Sharpen those hooks!! You don't want to lose a musky because of a dull hook..and it will be another 10000 casts before your next.. :D

Bring a small set of bolt cutters. If you are having trouble getting a hook out, don't hesitate to cut it and remove the end with a extra long pair of needle nose pliers. I prefer Knipex cutters..Very sharp and easy to handle.

Check or replace leaders and line. No explanation needed.. ;)
    Use a Beckman fin saver or equivalent net. No small bass nets :n00b:..These cause a lot of damage to the gills and scales of the fish we love so much.

Check your line guides for cracks or missing eyelets. I lost a pig a few years back due to a missing eye ring. Set the hook held the fish for a few seconds and POW!! Broke about mid rod... :angry:
    Remember to CPR... Catch Photograph and Release.. :D That 42"er you release will be a 50" trophy in about 5-7 more years.

Use equipment made for musky fishing, not your Wally World special, spooled with 10 lb test. I use 80lb for casting and 100lb for trolling.

swimuu5.jpg
    [/URL]

First aid kit..A must for the musky or pike fisherman. Remember those sharp teeth

Most of all..Have fun!! :P
    See Ya On The Water!!
    Randy

Last edited:

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Wow, what a great fish! My dad used to say that Musky fishing was the pinnacle of fresh water fishing. I have never attempted it.

Wise of you to edit out your background, good thinking indeed.

Yes, you must be careful of the teeth. I used to catch a bunch of Chain Pike ( Pickeral) when we lived in Maine. One bit me while I was carefully removing my Rapala minnow, those teeth are like broken glass.

Thanks for the pics.

Terry

Top Bottom