• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • L. Cranston

Plinker
    Dec 25, 2012
    ne. Indiana
    Hey--
    I would like to make some changes to an SKS I am getting.
    I have been reading a lot and have some questions about muzzle brakes. There is info on the net but it seems somewhat contradictory. So...

1. Is a muzzle brake the same as a flash suppressor? (I just want the brake...)
    2. Does a brake make the sound louder?
    3. Is adding a brake legal?

Thanks,
    L.C.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    1. Is a muzzle brake the same as a flash suppressor? (I just want the brake...)
    2. Does a brake make the sound louder?
    3. Is adding a brake legal?
    1. No
    2. No; however, the perceived noise level may be more intense because of the redirection of the gas
    3. Yes
    To expand on the answers from b-rich, which are correct:

1. No, a flash suppressor (also called a flash hider) is used to break up the flash from unburnt powder as it is expelled from the end of the barrel and then ignites outside the barrel. A muzzle brake is used to reduce the 'felt recoil' of the gun by directing the expansion gasses in such a way as to reduce muzzle rise, etc.

2. A muzzle brake, depending on the design of the ports and if they are angled toward the shooter, or away from the shooter, can make the gun 'sound' louder but the gun is actually not any louder.

3. I believe that muzzle brakes are perfectly legal in EVERY state ... however in SOME states a flash hider/suppressor may be illegal.​

jwh20

Master
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    To be a bit more informative:

A flash suppressor is there to disperse the muzzle flash so that instead of a long thin flash that reveals your position to others a mile away, you get a wider but shorter flash.

On the other hand the primary task for a muzzle break is to direct some of the output gasses rearward to reduce recoil. Essentially you have a "reverse thrust" effect here. Realistically an SKS doesn't have all that much recoil, compared to say a .50 BMG or a .338 Lapua Magnum, but it might help some. But beware that the rearward blast can blow crap back onto you, so it can be a pain in the backside.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    No. The brake uses the gases that are being expelled BEHIND the bullet. With a muzzle mounted brake there is no difference in the velocity of the bullet.

There are some types of brakes (ported barrels) where the actual barrel has holes cut into the barrel before the muzzle, commonly found on trap and skeet grade shotguns, that type of brake can slightly reduce the velocity but its not the same type of system.

Freedom4all

Plinker
    Feb 25, 2013
    Martinsville
    I agree with the others.

No
    No
    Yes
    No

However if you wanna cut sound eliminate flash all together and add weight to the end of your gun that will help it from walking up off target and be legal, there's only one good choice. SUPPRESS IT. A "Can" can do it all (pun intended) including maintaining accuracy. lol

Slapstick

Master
    Jul 29, 2010
    A simple google or forum search could have turned up any of these questions/answers.

Why the comment? Most questions that are asked can be answered by a Google search and if everyone did it then this would be a rather dead board. If you don't like the question then don't read any further than the first post.

wsenefeld

Master
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Why the comment? Most questions that are asked can be answered by a Google search and if everyone did it then this would be a rather dead board. If you don't like the question then don't read any further than the first post.

Why the comment? Because I can leave for a month, come back, and feel like I haven't missed anything. The redundancy on this forum is phenomenal. The search function is there for a reason (but people still can't figure out how to use it). It'd be nice to see the first page not cluttered with questions that have already been asked/answered a dozen or more times.

Slapstick

Master
    Jul 29, 2010
    Why the comment? Because I can leave for a month, come back, and feel like I haven't missed anything. The redundancy on this forum is phenomenal. The search function is there for a reason (but people still can't figure out how to use it). It'd be nice to see the first page not cluttered with questions that have already been asked/answered a dozen or more times.

So you own the forum? Your forum, your rules but if you don't then just page through them like everyone else. Right now isn't the time to be snippy to new members. We need everybody to take up the shooting sports and hopefully enjoy it enough to let their voices be heard. It also helps to remember you were once new to the sport and asked questions that "everyone" has asked and answered before. Did you Google search everything back then before asking?

wsenefeld

Master
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    So you own the forum? Your forum, your rules but if you don't then just page through them like everyone else. Right now isn't the time to be snippy to new members. We need everybody to take up the shooting sports and hopefully enjoy it enough to let their voices be heard. It also helps to remember you were once new to the sport and asked questions that "everyone" has asked and answered before. Did you Google search everything back then before asking?

In no way did I imply that I own the forum. Your own logic somehow got you there. I simply stated that the forum has a search function. Hero's like you are why I don't recommend INGO to anyone and why I seldom visit. Same questions shuffled through and same clowns picking internet fights.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Wow....just putting something out there to start a conversation is worth getting twisted....really. How many questions can be asked over a period of time before................wait for it................they start asking again.
    To Google is boring but sometimes required.
    To start a thread that incites conversation is so much better.
    Besides that it is fun to see folks step on their weenies sometimes. I have done it.

So there smarty pants................................:D

Slapstick

Master
    Jul 29, 2010
    In no way did I imply that I own the forum. Your own logic somehow got you there. I simply stated that the forum has a search function. Hero's like you are why I don't recommend INGO to anyone and why I seldom visit. Same questions shuffled through and same clowns picking internet fights.

Wow I thought the sarcasm was obvious but here I fixed it so even you can understand, "So you own the forum?"

It's people like you that drive away those looking for some info, opinions, a discussion and maybe a little help. We all had to start someplace and getting butt hurt over a question you deem unworthy is ridiculous. No one forced you come here and quite frankly I doubt any one will miss you or your attitude if you stay away.

I like to think that all new members to the forum and to the shooting sports will help us keep our rights by getting involved in the fight for the 2nd but people like you will drive away those we need the most.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    then why does your thing there say (site supporter) or why are you even on here?:dunno:

L. Cranston

Plinker
    Dec 25, 2012
    ne. Indiana
    Didn't mean for this to get into a debate...

I started with a search and when I checked about sound level I was getting different answers, so I went to this forum. I wanted info from those that I could trust more than some sourceless article on the net. And I got that-- Again, thanks!

Kludge--I do not intend to keep the bayonet on the rifle, just put it away. I like the balance better without it. And it won't make it shoot any better...

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Aug 29, 2010

I thought the OP had a legit question, could he have googled it, sure. I clicked on the thread to read others answers to the question because it was convenient, not a question that I needed an answer to but was curious to read others answers. (the whole idea of a forum)

wsenefeld....if you don't wear panties they won't get in a wad!

Perhaps you would fit in better at this gun forum HKPRO.COM Home

Top Bottom