• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaz

Marksman
    Nov 1, 2011
    Has anyone ever put a muzzle break on a Sub 2000? (9mm)
    I know, most people would ask "why?", but, I am recovering from a detached retina and in order to keep enjoying my sport, I have to eliminate as much recoil as i possibly can, now, and in the future for fear of the 1 in 3 chance of it happening again. (and it SUCKS!!!!)
    So that said, does anyone know of one that can be used?? I have found plenty of choices for my other rifles but not the Subby. And it is just so dang gone fun to shoot!! Not to mention cheap and accurate.
    Thanks in advance!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    At least one version they sell has a threaded muzzle. Might be easiest to sell yours and buy one factory threaded.

NyleRN

Master
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    At least one version they sell has a threaded muzzle. Might be easiest to sell yours and buy one factory threaded.
    Only pitfall to that is you have to remove the front sight to utilize the comp/hider. Stupid I know. Not sure if you can put the front sight back and secure it behind the muzzle device

indykid

Grandmaster
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You caused me to pull out mine and measure it.

The barrel in front of the sight measures .535, behind the sight is .567. It looks like the only way to move the sight back to allow the muzzle to be correctly threaded would be to turn the barrel down. Once that is done you can have enough barrel in front of the sight to thread. As is there isn't enough barrel in front of the sight to allow enough threads to hold a brake in place.

Chaz

Marksman
    Nov 1, 2011
    Hey Guys,
    Thanx for the help!!
    Snorko, I already did some "tricking out" to it so I'd rather not sell it. Plus, I have/want the Beretta mag 9mm so the mags will fit my Walther P-99 (for 2 gun), and I had to do a bit of searching to get one.
    Nyle, I already have the site removed and the Red Lion fore gripe on it. I bought the Red Lion muzzle and clamp as you about have to destroy the sight to get it off. I could MAYBE reuse mine but I have a red dot on it so I won't be needing to.
    Indykid, THANK YOU for getting yours out to measure!! My guess, from your post, I would just have to have it machined and threaded. I "might" know a guy to do that but............ seems like it would be a pain. BUT, I guess that is about my only option. And we do what we have to. :)
    Thanx again for all the help guys!!! Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Chaz

Marksman
    Nov 1, 2011
    English teacher????

Sorry, I had a brain fart. It happens. Especially now-a-days.
    (I'm quite familiar with "brakes".)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    could concussion from a brake be worse for the eye than the recoil? put the $ into a .22 until all recovered?

My only suggestion would be to have the muzzle threaded and buy a .30 cal muzzle brake for it. Good luck!

a brake/comp from a .30 rifle might still need bored out for a .355 9mm bullet. at least check for adequate clearance if you go that route...

-rvb

Chaz

Marksman
    Nov 1, 2011
    Good point RVB, on the boring.
    As far as the .22 idea, this isn't a short time gig. I have a 1 in 3 chance of it happening again for the rest of my life. So if I want to keep shooting, I have to do whatever I can to make it easy on me. I have been reading oodles on these things and some are better than others in specific areas. There is also a device (forgot the name) that can go over top and decrease the concussion and still give reduced recoil. Lantec is working on one for the Dragon.
    BTW, even my occupation (blacksmith/fabricator/sculptor) has to be modified.
    A "can" would be nice but, for various reasons, I'm not going to go that way. They do reduce as well. But thank you for the suggestion.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom