• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    I went to the gun shop/range today in Lansing with my cousin and in my range bag I had my S&W 27 with 8.5 inch barrel halfway tucked into a too small soft sided gun case, so half the barrel was sticking out. I noticed on my last visit that they had larger soft case there and was going to buy one. As I pulled my unloaded cased gun out of the range bag; holding the case by the zippered part only, the clerk says "please don't muzzle me". Now I know and follow all the gun rules, but i don't think I actually muzzled him, I wasn't even technically holding the gun. If that's the case everyone who ever has a gun in a range bag and the barrel ever faces another person, then you are muzzling them. Anyway, I didn't say anything to the clerk except sorry. Didn't say but..........nothing, just sorry. Did I really muzzle him in a serious way or was he over reacting.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    By your discription, it doesn't sound like the clerk was being a jerk or anything. It doesn't sound like you were intentionally doing anything offensive. But then again, that's how accidents happen. Since I wasn't there, it's difficult to judge what you did, what he saw or thought he saw, what was said, inflection, tone, etc. Since you're asking for opinions, I think I would just take it as a reminder to be vigilent and be safe.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    By no means was I trying to indicate that he was a jerk or anything, he said I muzzled him and I said sorry. He told me he was the safety instructor for the CC classes and that was about it. We were both very polite to each other, he obviously did not want to get shot and I of course did not want to shoot him. I'm probably over thinking the whole situation. I think he would have been 100% correct had I been holding the revolver itself especially by the grips, but come on it was in a case. It was pretty ironic thou when a customer asked to see a handgun, the manner in which he took it off the display hook, he muzzled his co worker. I didn't say anything and just chuckled to myself.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    I was at a shop and at the counter was me and a not gentleman. One handgun hr was looking at he was holding. And I kid you not. Directly pointed at my head. As much as I wanted to say something, I instead took a step back where he wasnt sweeping me.

I would have pointed this out but he was older and im a young guy and didnt want any conflict

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Could it have been preemptive, or did he explicitly point out that you had muzzled/were muzzling him at that moment? I imagine that's a pretty common occurrence in that line of work, so maybe he was just trying to get out ahead of it. Perhaps he saw you removing the gun and wanted to make sure you knew the rule.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Sounds like the situation was addressed appropriately, by all concerned. I wouldn't call it a 'muzzling', but I wasn't there, and it didn't happen to me, so it's just my speculation. As noted, perhaps see it as a training opportunity.

Just for me, even when just looking at a gun at the LGS, the counter-guy / gal opens and checks, hands it to me, I double-check, then I keep my hand over the muzzle as I peruse the handgun. No, that wouldn't stop a live round, but it seems to make those around me a bit more 'comfortable'. If I want to 'sight in' I always pick a spot somewhere up 'in the rafters'. With rifles and shotguns, I keep the barrel 'up in the rafters', again. IF I need to bring the barrel down for any reason, I always find that 'empty' spot in the room / store to come down without sweeping anyone even across the room.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I was at a shop and at the counter was me and a not gentleman. One handgun hr was looking at he was holding. And I kid you not. Directly pointed at my head. As much as I wanted to say something, I instead took a step back where he wasnt sweeping me.

I would have pointed this out but he was older and im a young guy and didnt want any conflict
    My INGO friend, you were a LOT nicer and more understanding than I would've been! So, kudos to you for your amazing self-restraint. :yesway:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just for me, even when just looking at a gun at the LGS, the counter-guy / gal opens and checks, hands it to me, I double-check, then I keep my hand over the muzzle as I peruse the handgun. No, that wouldn't stop a live round, but it seems to make those around me a bit more 'comfortable'. If I want to 'sight in' I always pick a spot somewhere up 'in the rafters'. With rifles and shotguns, I keep the barrel 'up in the rafters', again. IF I need to bring the barrel down for any reason, I always find that 'empty' spot in the room / store to come down without sweeping anyone even across the room.

Let me get this straight: you put your hand in front of the muzzle of a gun because you think it will make people around you more comfortable?

Wow.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    sometimes the clerks talk too much, always rambling on telling me to stop putting my hand in front of the gun. but they get mad if I try to muzzle them.

muzzle.jpg

-rvb

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    As clear as your intent was, accidents do happen, and they tend to happen more often when guns are being handled, and when least expected. I am sure that shooting the clerk was not anywhere on your list of things to do that day, and I am sure not getting shot was somewhere high on his list of things for his day.

As careful as we like to think we are, and checking, double checking and sticking fingers in holes, rounds DO sometimes get stuck in guns, and guns DO "accidentally" go off when being handled. Not pointing a muzzle at someone (purposefully or not) is the best way to ensure that nobody gets shot accidentally.

Sounds like the clerk was being polite, and you didnt take it as he was being insulting, so no harm, no fowl. We have to remember that gun store clerks see WAY more guns in an average day than most of us do, and their odds of accidentally getting shot are much higher than the average person. Not staring down the barrel of a gun that they did not personally clear, and in their possession is probably the safest bet against not taking one for the team.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I know I am super late on this but hey here I am and after reading through I think anytime someone has a muzzle pointed at them they are obviously going to think about it now matter how "safe" it may be... That being said you have to think about the yahoos this guy probably has come in there all of the time and so if he doesn't know you from Adam of course he will say something, we can only imagine the stuff he has seen I'm going to venture to say. Over reaction maybe but I would certainly be understanding. From your OP I would say you did nothing wrong and handled it well with just a sorry. Thinking on his perspective may give some clarity. But hey I am a second hand opinion after reading about it on the internet guy so who knows. Still thought I'd chime in though... You're in the no harm not foul area though for sure.

Top Bottom