• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canamscott

Marksman
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    I am wanting to build my own traditional muzzleloader. Black Walnut and Hard Maple are typically what I see as stocks, but I found a dealer that sells Black Cherry stock blanks. Is cherry strong enough to take the shock of a firearm? Does anyone have photos of a stock made of cherry?

Regarding finishes, 200 years ago what finish would you put on a stock?

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Cherry was somewhat common on some fowlers. Maple, red or sugar, was probably the most normal. Walnut (European and American) sometimes, especially military types and trade guns. Ash sometimes, but not often. I've heard of the occational fruitwood stock as well.

Finishes are a very heated subject amongst muzzleoader builders. But it's pretty safe to say that true boiled linseed oil, not the modern variety, was a fairly common historic finish.

Stains are just as complicated.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    What the above poster said.

Also Bass Pro sells an "Old English" stock refinishing kit that I think would serve you well for a stain. I have got about 5-6 custom muzzleloaders in the shop now and I don't care if any of them sell. They just look good next to the FAL's and the CETME's.

If you want to see where we are going it is cool to look back and see where we have been.

Top Bottom