• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PlaysInTheDirt

Plinker
    Dec 14, 2016
    Southport
    With all of the quality .22 rifles and optics available to us for small game, does anybody still venture afield with a small caliber front loader? I found a CVA Sqirrel rifle at a local antique store (still loaded even) that cleaned up real nice. Seems to shoot a spit patched .310 ball over a small charge of pyrodex rs pretty well though i haven't had time to work up a best load of a rest yet. Would you all recommend a zero at 25yds for best use?
    Thanks!

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Whatever you try, it will take all day to do it right with a front stuffer. No one wants to know where the 10th shot out of a hot dirty barrel lands. You want to know where the first shot out of a clean cool barrel hits with a certain charge, patch and projectile.

I can see a lot of shooting and cleaning, shooting and cleaning in your future...

PlaysInTheDirt

Plinker
    Dec 14, 2016
    Southport
    Mongo - I'll bring a .22 along to kill some time between shots. Your comment make perfect sense. A quick wipe or two of the bore is usually my standard between shot anyway.

Patience - A walnut is a pretty hard to see at 25 yards. We use a golfball or the 2" clay pots as a targets for the .22's but they are all scoped and dialed in pretty well. I will have to work on that with the little squirrel rifle.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have a TC half stock in .32 my dad gave me. I have squirrel hunted a few times with it, but my eye sight is not good enough to hit such a small target now. My dad hunts with a Fowler flintlock.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    As it is I sometimes question whether a squirrel is worth all the work with a 22lr and scope.

Can't imagine how much you must like small game to attempt with muzzleloader.

Top Bottom