• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jerryw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Albion, Indiana
    I am looking in to buying a muzzleloader. The one i am looking at right now is the "traditions Timber ridge". Have any of you ever owned or used this gun? I am looking at this on Cabela's with the starter kit.

The other one i was looking at is the "CVA buckhorn" It is the same price as the timberridge except it doesnt come with the starter kit.I think i like the timber ridge better though because it comes with the starter kit so that will save me money in the long run. I want to get one buy shotgun season this year thats why i am looking at cheap ones.

I am planning on getting the TC Omega when i get a job.

So any info on the 'timber ridge or buckhorn' is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Jerry:ar15:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't have any experience with the Traditions, but they are a VERY reputable company.:yesway:

I've used/owned a few CVA's, and they are GREAT little "starter" guns, and accurate enough to put meat on the table.:D

You will NEVER be disappointed in a Thompson Center purchase.:twocents:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have a traditions, killed every deer I've fired on with it.
    I didn't buy one with a starter kit though, I bought a kit separate. Its very easy, I can talk you through the accessories pretty easily. I won't buy a TC or knight after this Traditions, they are both nicer and prob better, but in such a fractional amount it won't change enough for a muzzle loader.

jerryw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Albion, Indiana
    You will NEVER be disappointed in a Thompson Center purchase.:twocents:

I would die to own a Thompson center triumph bone collector addition!!!!! but right now im really considering the Timber ridge. Im actually planning on buying a 44. magnum single shot after christmas this year so im not gonna use my muzzleloader a ton but it will get good use.

jerryw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Albion, Indiana
    Thanks 'redneckmedic' i might have a few questions for you when i get it. My dad has an old Traditions and he has hardly ever used it. but i fires the old round ball shots. so its not a great one.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Thanks 'redneckmedic' i might have a few questions for you when i get it. My dad has an old Traditions and he has hardly ever used it. but i fires the old round ball shots. so its not a great one.

You can fire the new sabot slugs through that same smoke-pole:D

Round balls, buffalo bullets,... you'll see a difference in distance and accuracy, but you'll likely get the best results with something like "Power Belt" sabots.

They'll work GREAT in your dads old Traditions!:patriot:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would die to own a Thompson center triumph bone collector addition!!!!! but right now im really considering the Timber ridge. Im actually planning on buying a 44. magnum single shot after christmas this year so im not gonna use my muzzleloader a ton but it will get good use.

I have a Thompson Center Contender (G2) w/ many calibers to go with it, including a 209X.45cal muzzle loader barrel.

It is as accurate or more, than any other brand I've ever fired.:yesway:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I have a CVA buckhorn. It is far and away the best $-for-$ value I have ever spent on a gun.

I put a $60 Bushnell 1-4x scope on it. I shoot Barnez MZ expander 250 grain bullets, they are .45 with plastic sabot to shoot in a .50 cal.

With a regular shotgun primer and 2 pyrodex pellets, I can easily shoot a 2-3" group at 100 yards all day long. Supposedly the gun is rated for 3 pellets (150 grains) but I have never seen any reason to do that. It is very sweet shooting at realistic Indiana deer ranges with 100 grains.

I see no reason to upgrade this gun. It has given me years of good service deer hunting.

jerryw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Albion, Indiana
    I have a CVA buckhorn. It is far and away the best $-for-$ value I have ever spent on a gun.

I put a $60 Bushnell 1-4x scope on it. I shoot Barnez MZ expander 250 grain bullets, they are .45 with plastic sabot to shoot in a .50 cal.

With a regular shotgun primer and 2 pyrodex pellets, I can easily shoot a 2-3" group at 100 yards all day long. Supposedly the gun is rated for 3 pellets (150 grains) but I have never seen any reason to do that. It is very sweet shooting at realistic Indiana deer ranges with 100 grains.

I see no reason to upgrade this gun. It has given me years of good service deer hunting.

Thanks for the information!!! The good stuff is what i like to here! I am almost 100% I am getting this gun.

Top Bottom