• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I bought a Savage Model 16FCSS with Accustock and Accutrigger. It's a .243 with stainless barrel. I picked it up today from the dealer that was at the show. He's a friend that wasn't in a hurry for me to get it. I farm a mile from his shop. Anyway now it's time to dress it up with a scope and maybe a sling.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I wanted something with a little more top end punch than my ar for yotes.
    It's like this one but not this one!

pix851149266.jpg

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I have a pentax gameseeker 4x16x50 on my model 16 300 wsm and love it. came with the gun but have no reason to change. good scope for the money. IMO

Driller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Noblesville
    I recently bought a savage model 12 BVSS in .22-.250. I spent a lot of time looking at scopes ranging in the 5-800 dollar range. I decided on going with a vortex viper, 6-20x44. I have had no issues at all with it. Great clarity, low light performance and best of all it was only $400. IMO you can spend more on a leupold but you probally will not tell a huge difference for the money.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I recently bought a savage model 12 BVSS in .22-.250. I spent a lot of time looking at scopes ranging in the 5-800 dollar range. I decided on going with a vortex viper, 6-20x44. I have had no issues at all with it. Great clarity, low light performance and best of all it was only $400. IMO you can spend more on a leupold but you probally will not tell a huge difference for the money.

Where'd you picket up at?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    leupold has rested on its larrels for far to long. while everyone else said " im going to make a better product so folks will buy from me" leupold said "were leupold everyone will buy from me" then while everyone was producing better optics and raising there price accordingly leupold said "we need to charge more on the same scope so folks still think we are the best" so now you have a leupold that will cost you 1000 bucks and do the same thing as a 500 dollar nikon.

there customer service is the worst ive ever delt with in all my firarms related dealings. my father and i were hunting. i had a simmons whitetial classic scope. 6.5-20x50. my father had a leupold 4-12x50. i shot a doe near last light. instid of reloading my muzzleloader i grabbed dads (we were standing together) i could not see to make any kind of shot so i walked up close (i had spine shot the deer) on 4x i still could not see her e from 10 yds. i had to reload my gun and on 6.5 could see fine.

in no way should a simmons preform @ 6.5x zoom better than a leupold @ 4xzoom in low light when they are both 50mm scopes.

i sent the scope back. the scope was returned saying "scope meets our standards nothing was done" apparentlly there standards are lower than a 100 dollar simmons

then i bought a leupold 1200yd range finder. in the best of circumstances it will range a truck @ 700 yds. ive got this to work 1 time. i called leupold and told them my issue. they said i need a more reflective target. i dont know what is more reflective than a truck. i guess they expect you to walk out with some mirrors and cover the area you want to range.

they fooled me once on there scope. shame on them, they fooled me again on there range finder shame on me. i will not be fooled again on any leupold product

rant over until the next time

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Thank you for your insight. Dad put a leupold on his browning 223 lever gun. It prolly won't get shot much.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thank you for your insight. Dad put a leupold on his browning 223 lever gun. It prolly won't get shot much.

i bought mine pre internet. research usto be alot more difficult back then. i bought the leupold because i wanted the best and the folks at my local gun shop said leupold is the best. i had no clue how little they knew but after buying leupold its obvious how little they knew.

id say at one point in time they were really good scopes. and alot of folks that have not kept up on scopes still think they are, but technoligy advanced since the 80s and leupold did not advance anything but there prices

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    To add a bit to that last point:

Leupold is still good glass, and going to be better than a lot of the lower end stuff out there. But, there are better scopes these days, and probably scopes just as good for less money.

I personally like my leupold, but have shot through some pretty crappy scopes most of my life. I've also shot recently through some very nice glass and would agree that there is some stuff that is way better out there.

Do some research, and even try to shoot a few if you can, and that will help you decide which is the way to go.

huntercam

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Middlebury, IN
    i have had great luck with the Bushnell Trophy line. I use them on my pistols and on my slug gun. For now i have a Barska 6-20X50 on my .223, cant go past 17X for clarity but for $60 not bad for now. Will change out next year for something better. My brother uses only Nikon and swears by them.

Top Bottom