• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I was thinking I should wait for the new mag before I ship the gun, but could a better mag make that much diff. Also I bought for gallery of guns.com (davidsons in arizona) I'm think I can just take I back to where I picked it up.
    I've got a full size RIA and it won't feed anything with the factory mag. I bought a CMC at Elmores and now it feeds everything. I even put a couple of "mixed bag" mags through it with no problems.
    My original mag is crap.
    I have exactly 500 rds through it now and it still won't feed with the original mag.
    Try the mag and be "wear the gun in" a while and see if it'll feed the HPs then.

~STOLEN~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Greenwood, Indiana
    my dad bought a "gander mountain" 1911 special......its a remington and it wont feed hollow points either....i made him take it back....so their on site gunsmith used a dremel on the ramp and after it that it never skipped a beat.....
    kimber custom....never miss feeds....only reason i can say that is cause i was gifted the gun..lol.....so i dont really have kimber money..just got lucky!!

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    good news a new mec-gar mag and I know some of you will cringe, but a very light polish with a dremel a felt polish tip and some brasso a my 1911 eats hollow points up. full mag after full mag not a problem after 4 mags(I ran out of hollow points)

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I bought a new Colt, Mk IV, Series 70, 45acp around 1980. It wouldn't even think of chambering a hollow point and sometimes had trouble with GI ball ammo. I took it to a 'smith and he reshaped and polished up the feedramp and throat areas. When he handed it back to me he handed me a mag with empty cases in it. It chambered every one of those empties and never gave me a minute of trouble after that with any ammo I fed it (including random empties in the mag).

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Just for giggles I loaded up the factory RIA mag w/ball 230s and tried to cycle it through my Kimber Custom 2.
    The mag didn't want to seat into the Kimber to start with. It took two palm smacks to get it to seat in and then it didn't want to release. Bad sign right off the get-go.
    I cycled the slide and it stuck back about an inch from locking in properly.
    I ejected the round and the ball had jammed back into the brass at least 1/8".
    This was with a full 8 rd load.
    After clearing and inspecting the Kimber I tried cycling again with only 7 rds in the mag. It went in smooth as silk.
    I cycled again and it didn't feed again. The round was sitting straight and jammed at the bottom of the barrel ramp.
    Back to the Kimber mag and it cycled smooth as ever. 3 mags cycled. NO problems at all.
    Proof again it's the factory RIA P.O.S. mags.
    I'm going to call for a new mag. IF they don't address this issue they'll always have a rep for a 1911 that's not worth buying.
    IF they don't want to replace it then the factory RIA mag will hit the trash. I wanted to be 100% sure before final decision.
    I like the RIA. Cheap Cheap but accurate and not worried about buggering up a nice finish gun.
    Since I went to the CMC, Kimber, and Wilson mags it's been 100% reliable.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Just for giggles I loaded up the factory RIA mag w/ball 230s and tried to cycle it through my Kimber Custom 2.
    The mag didn't want to seat into the Kimber to start with. It took two palm smacks to get it to seat in and then it didn't want to release. Bad sign right off the get-go.
    I cycled the slide and it stuck back about an inch from locking in properly.
    I ejected the round and the ball had jammed back into the brass at least 1/8".
    This was with a full 8 rd load.
    After clearing and inspecting the Kimber I tried cycling again with only 7 rds in the mag. It went in smooth as silk.
    I cycled again and it didn't feed again. The round was sitting straight and jammed at the bottom of the barrel ramp.
    Back to the Kimber mag and it cycled smooth as ever. 3 mags cycled. NO problems at all.
    Proof again it's the factory RIA P.O.S. mags.
    I'm going to call for a new mag. IF they don't address this issue they'll always have a rep for a 1911 that's not worth buying.
    IF they don't want to replace it then the factory RIA mag will hit the trash. I wanted to be 100% sure before final decision.
    I like the RIA. Cheap Cheap but accurate and not worried about buggering up a nice finish gun.
    Since I went to the CMC, Kimber, and Wilson mags it's been 100% reliable.
    If you look at the followers side by side, you will see why you can't accomplish what you are trying to. They are very different.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    P.S.
    I loaded up the factory RIA mag w/ball 230s and tried to cycle it through my Kimber Custom 2.
    The mag didn't want to seat into the Kimber to start with.

If you look at the followers side by side, you will see why you can't accomplish what you are trying to. They are very different.
    I'm not saying that you don't have a bad mag...OR that there's anything great about ACT mags (because there's not)...
    But here's to illustrate why they won't seat/function in a Kimber:

Kimber Mag Top/ ACT Mag Bottom:

KimberTop_ACTBottom.jpg

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    The best bet with hollow points in a 1911 is to use a Speer gold dot or similar shaped round, as they best mimic the ball ammo shape, which aids feeding.

Jet girl, just to tease a bit, look under the colt tab on the website summitgunbroker.com it's nickel but it's also hard to beat that price.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Wish I could get pics to load here. Side by side they're very close. Your upper view is close to what I have. Other than the follower seat very close.
    I do notice on the side view comparison on mine that the angle of the ACT the bullet angle seated is a couple of degrees angled more upward than on the CMC.
    Facing front the opening of the mag case in front of the follower opening isn't cut as deep as as the CMC. There's almost 3/16" difference in the forward opening.
    They're close enough to fit in but apparently enough difference to not work equally.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Jet girl, just to tease a bit, look under the colt tab on the website summitgunbroker.com it's nickel but it's also hard to beat that price.

Shiny snake! I've shot one of those Anacondas before. Way back when I was a newbie...and I wasn't ready for it (not being told or shown what to expect). Wish I had a do-over!

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.
    I was talking about that one. Colt revolvers are fine prices of machining, but past hunting or collecting I can't enjoy them. Colt took a complicated reloading process and made it worse. Someday I hope smith or colt starts building da revolvers without locks, and the ruger cylinder release. (only ruger "innovation" I have ever come to appreciate)

/threadjack

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom