• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Ok I used some bigger equipment because my spot was pretty rough with a lot of holes where I'd pulled out several locust trees with the dozer. So I used our Cat mt 765 so I wouldn't have to worry about flat tires. I used an old chisel plow that we have for when we clean out fence rows. Pulls up the old roots. For having rained the other night it worked up pretty good. Here's a few pics.
    75242fe5.jpg

3fdb3e1e.jpg

cdad75d2.jpg

2e5cea3e.jpg

Going to get this next rain on it then disc it down good and get a root rake to gather as much trash as I can. Then I'm going to lay out my plot. The outside 10-15' is going to be switchgrass to block the view from the road then I have to figure out how I'm going to lay everything else out. Any input would be appreciated. I'm new to this.

boonedock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    DECATUR Co.
    Looks good! I used slit seeder (kept the birds out of it) nd sewed oats alphalpa, orchard grasses, BEST thing is turnips, mn they eat them greens up!!

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've had great luck with turnips. The closet ag field was probably a mile away, so that might have had something to do with there being so many deer in it.

Haymaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Jennings County
    I have plenty of ag fields nearby and haven't had much luck with deer hitting turnips. However, my Buck Forage Oats planted around Sept 1st have been hit hard.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    Judging by your equipment, I would use your beans on the outside and plant your corn on the inside of your plot. Or one outside beans, inside corn, other side turnips or a few "test" plots. You know the deer will eat the beans and corn so you can have a few test spots to see what your deer like, divide up the ground for different plots. We put out 5-6 acres of food plots and do a few test plots just to see how the deer like it. Here is how our place is lade out with food plots in yellow and stands/blinds are the white spots.

Another great Indiana website is www.indianasportsman.com there are a lot of good knowledgeable people there that you can learn a lot from.

Last edited:

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Ok I've been doin a little working with my buddy.
    ad1c19d6.jpg

Got the little disc out and started smoothing it off.
    d690910d.jpg

It's working up good. Might need to hit it again and cultimulch the heck out of it

It looks better than this pic. I was just getting started. Ended up going over it at least 3 times maybe more. Then we had to light the candles.
    ac7fd6fa.jpg

Then we had to get out and inspect our work.
    a0cb2f20.jpg

wbower

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Martinsville
    Looking good. I've planted alot of turnips in the past and the problem is the deer usually have them ate down to nothing by the time you're really wanting them to be there.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Looking good. I've planted alot of turnips in the past and the problem is the deer usually have them ate down to nothing by the time you're really wanting them to be there.

Mine were pretty thick. They're still Hitting them now.

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis

When did you plant them?

I usually put them in around the middle of August. They hit them pretty hard during archery, mostly does and small bucks. During the winter they'll dig them up.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I used Whitetail Institute's Power Plant a couple of years ago. Worked really well. Sunflowers, Millet and Forage soybeans mixed. The deer hit is so hard all summer that it never got more than about 2' tall anywhere on the plot. It would prolly have produced more forage if I'd fenced it for about 3-4 weeks so it could have gotten ahead of the grazers.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    From the "arieal" view, it looks like a golf course, I thought you were building a range... But I say plant the TURNIPS, and then invite us over for a "shoot" what a deal .....

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    The ground is working up good. Had my nephew disc it again today and it just needs a cultipacker over it a few times and it will be set.
    c9d7578c.jpg

a70d8672.jpg

83e3c9ad.jpg

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Plot is all planted. The ground had sat idle for a little bit and got kinda hard and the seeder wasn't doin a very good job. So I found an old drag from behind the barn and hooked on chain on behind the ranger.
    ed8c6f7f.jpg

Rented a brillion seeder from our John Deere dealer. I wasn't really impressed with it.
    7a2e7596.jpg

I had some sweet corn planted la couple Sunday's ago and its spiking thru. I also put out some bags of mix I picked up at rural king. A teco-mate mix and a harvest mix and some frigid forage wildlife blend. I'm going to compare how they do.

I sprayed some roundup on it today(just seeded last night). Didn't spray my sweet corn but I used my cheap sprayer from rural king.
    09b82140.jpg

Now it's time for mother nature to do her business.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Ok it's been a little while but it's starting grow.

Here's the pro graze from rural king.
    ee528ac1.jpg

Here's my switch grass, Indian grass and big blue stem. It needs some heat.
    cbc7fa53.jpg

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I've heard some bad things about turnips in the deer herds. On another forum they were talking about the deer eating so much turnips that it would bloat them. I am not saying you shouldnt plant them but from what Ive read it isn't much good for em. I prefer a good clover mix and chicory myself. Good luck.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I've heard some bad things about turnips in the deer herds. On another forum they were talking about the deer eating so much turnips that it would bloat them. I am not saying you shouldnt plant them but from what Ive read it isn't much good for em. I prefer a good clover mix and chicory myself. Good luck.

I do have other stips with clover in there. This was the best looking one I've got.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Here's an update. Looking good.
    Here are some updated pics of the plot.
    712f15dc.jpg

My rye grass from last fall.
    a27a424d.jpg

Here's the overall look back to the barns.
    6bd0abff.jpg

And here's a little track I saw while walking thru the plot
    cac5bd84.jpg

Top Bottom