My .22lr AR project that got a little out of hand.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Story.

I had an CMMG .22lr conversion kit for my AR. While it did work pretty good, I felt the need to build a dedicated upper.

After doing a bit of research on CMMGs website, I ordered a 16" dedicated .22lr barrel, collar to convert my convsersion to a dedicated system, BHO followers/springs for my CMMG mags, LRBHO device and a charging handle designed specifically for .22lr.

Items I already had on the spare parts shelf.
    LMT upper reciever.
    Essential Arms lower reciever.
    Magpul BAD
    Magpul MOE grip
    A2 FH
    Timney 3lb trigger pack.
    Magpul milspec CTR
    VLTOR milspec buffer tube
    Various LPK parts
    Magpul AFG

Items I ordered to finish the project.
    Millet DMS-1 in a PEBR mount.
    Troy 13" VTAC forearm.

Finished product.
    AR_22lr_002.jpg

AR_22lr_003.jpg

I took it to the range last week for a function check. Gun worked perfectly with the only issues being related to Federal bulk pack ammo. I had numerous failures to fire with good hits on the rim. When this happened, it also caused an extraction failure. I later ran some CCI thru the gun and all issues were non-existant.

So, another "project" that got a little out of hand. :D

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Funny how these builds quickly get out of hand !!! ;)

But, thats a great looking and very fuctional rifle, as expected from you and your previous builds.

Im really thinking of a dedicated .22lr and a 9mm AR since I have some extra lowers.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I have considered starting a similar project but I think I will just pick up a Colt or S&W AR style .22 instead.

I would re-think those purchases.

The Colt is a rebranded Umerx (sp) model, not known for quality. And the S&W uses a proprietary magazine. Also, neither model has LRBHO capabilities.

Spikes is a big player in the .22lr AR platform, but they dont offer LRBHO, yet.

I would suggest you go with the CMMG product.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Funny how these builds quickly get out of hand !!! ;)

But, thats a great looking and very fuctional rifle, as expected from you and your previous builds.

Im really thinking of a dedicated .22lr and a 9mm AR since I have some extra lowers.

Thank you, sir.

The accolades are greatly appreciated.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Quick question; is the CMMG bolt carrier group the same BCG for the upper? With that half a .223 case attached to it?

If I understand your question........

The original CMMG coversion kit DID have the .223 case adapter on it.

However, once I purchase the dedicated barrel, the .223 case adapter is no longer needed. That is why I purchased the "dedicated collar", the dedicated barrel has the correct chamber for .22lr built into it. The collar replaces the .223 adapter on the BCG.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    If I understand your question........

The original CMMG coversion kit DID have the .223 case adapter on it.

However, once I purchase the dedicated barrel, the .223 case adapter is no longer needed. That is why I purchased the "dedicated collar", the dedicated barrel has the correct chamber for .22lr built into it. The collar replaces the .223 adapter on the BCG.

Thanks! Thats exactly what I needed to know, I have the CMMG kit and was wondering if I could reuse the bolt carrier group from my current conversion kit.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Always keep it simple. I have a Rem 700 that i could go hog wild on mods. But don't...the best mod you can make is to tighten the nut behind the rifle. ;Q

Top Bottom