• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Disrespecting the flag? Were they going to pee on it or something?

They just weren't going to stand and show it any respect. More like unrespecting the flag.

To pee on the flag would be desecration.

Please read

U.S. Flag Code

Title 36 United States Code:
    § 301. National Anthem.
    (a) Designation. — The composition consisting of the words and music known as
    the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
    (b) Conduct During Playing. — During a rendition of the national anthem —
    (1) when the flag is displayed —
    (A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag
    with the right hand over the heart;
    (B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and
    hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart

Flag Code | The American Legion

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The flag code codifies a method of respecting the flag. The absence of respect, ignoring the code, inaction in this case, I'd only consider not respecting (unrespecting, my made-up word).

Disrespecting, I would reserve that for active methods up to and including desecration.

Just my opinion.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Just an update, Hope Academy did stand for the anthem and then got beat by a 15 man team 26-6. I will also add that in the school's Memorial Hall are the pictures of 133 men who gave their lives defending our country. Some were commissioned the day they left the school at 18 and didn't make it a year in the battles of WWII. There are graves on the school grounds that have the remains of Cadets from WWI up to and including the current conflict interred there. To the Cadets of St John's those honored dead are who would be disrespected by failure to stand and pay honor when the National Anthem is played.

Military Academy: You Won?t Disrespect American Flag on our Football Field ? Todd Starnes

Last edited:

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Disrespecting the flag? Were they going to pee on it or something?

They just weren't going to stand and show it any respect. More like unrespecting the flag.

grandma-cool-story-bro.jpg

Exactly 2 weeks ago, yours truly stood in front of a federal judge, at attention facing that very flag, with my right hand covers my heart, with tears in my eyes, stated the following:

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America,
    and to the republic for which it stands,
    one nation under God,
    indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Yes, I became a Citizen of the United States that day.

What do you think it would happen if I took a knee.

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I just received this letter in my e-mail today as I am getting ready to leave in the morning for my Alma Mater's homecoming weekend. Seems the school St John's will be playing against has decided as a team and school that they will refuse to pay honor to our Nation's Anthem and Flag. The President of the school has made it very clear what the Corp of Cadets expect from a visiting team and I hope he stands by this division. I will be there and will support my school regardless of the outcome.

456e86b4-6edd-49d7-92b0-5e0856a60f56_zps3bsqyjw8.jpg

e342c4ad-4ae5-4ee5-9591-5059c0ca8b0d_zpsvxp2j7hc.jpg

It does my heard good to hear stories like this one! I wish more people felt this way about the flag and respecting it and all it stands for. These guys kneeling in protest during the anthem is wrong and divisive. Displays of this nature are not pulling the country together in any way.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    grandma-cool-story-bro.jpg

Exactly 2 weeks ago, yours truly stood in front of a federal judge, at attention facing that very flag, with my right hand covers my heart, with tears in my eyes, stated the following:

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America,
    and to the republic for which it stands,
    one nation under God,
    indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Welcome home, brother!
    Rep inbound (even though the rep system is still broke dick).

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Congratulations. I'll only apologize for our government, our heritage and founding ideals are actually pretty awesome!

You'd be summarily executed? Maybe not. I'm not actually sure, I probably missed that class.

But, seriously, congratulations! :)

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Congratulations. I'll only apologize for our government, our heritage and founding ideals are actually pretty awesome!

You'd be summarily executed? Maybe not. I'm not actually sure, I probably missed that class.

But, seriously, congratulations! :)

I would have been disqualified to become a citizen, no but's, no if's.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Look at how much energy you were willing to expend postulating and refuting your own incorrect assumption rather than investigating or discussing what was actually said.

Questions rather than assumptions would have been so much more helpful.

What if the tactic I actually approve of was the president's decision? We can't make you stand, but you can't make us stay and play. Ball's in your court.

Nice libertarian solution regardless of the outcome. Persuasion rather than force. Why did you assume otherwise?

Although I also support the other team's right to not stand, I wouldn't have considered that a tactic at all unless, possibly after receiving the president's response, they chose to employ sitting during the anthem as a tactic to have the game willingly forfeited to them.

I'm fine with the President's decision, as well. The problem is, that decision punishes the respectful entity in the situation. The President could also have said that those who refused to stand during the national anthem would be forced to leave the field during the playing of the national anthem.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The flag code codifies a method of respecting the flag. The absence of respect, ignoring the code, inaction in this case, I'd only consider not respecting (unrespecting, my made-up word).

Disrespecting, I would reserve that for active methods up to and including desecration.

Just my opinion.

Disrespecting the flag versus "unrespecting" the flag? You are employing the logical fallacy of creating a distinction without a difference.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana

Just my opinion.

Isn't that like saying the men and women who fought and died for our county aren't dead, they are just laying down not breathing?

Has America, or one of those that fought, or fought and died, wronged you? Did they do something to where you don't/won't show respect for them?

Last edited:

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Disrespecting the flag versus "unrespecting" the flag? You are employing the logical fallacy of creating a distinction without a difference.

Not really. You could contrast disengaged vs unengaged to highlight the distinction if you prefer. Likely some other examples if you think about it.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm fine with the President's decision, as well. The problem is, that decision punishes the respectful entity in the situation. The President could also have said that those who refused to stand during the national anthem would be forced to leave the field during the playing of the national anthem.

I like the option he chose far more than this alternative.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Isn't that like saying the men and women who fought and died for our county aren't dead, they are just laying down not breathing?

Has America, or one of those that fought, or fought and died, wronged you? Did they do something to where you don't/won't show respect for them?

I dearly love America. I hate what the United States has done with it.

Top Bottom