• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As my configuration has changed around a bit, it's probably a good time to redo the math.

As it currently sits:

• Spike's Tactical stripped lower - $85
    • Noveske DDMK18 complete upper - $875
      • 10.5" CHF chrome-lined 5.56 barrel
      • 1 in 7" twist
      • M4 feedramps
      • Noveske low-profile gas block
      • Noveske auto BCG, SP/HP tested, staked
      • Daniel Defense MK18 rail
    • Noveske/Troy front flip-up sight - $75
    • LaRue/Troy rear flip-up sight - $119
    • Noveske QD endplate - $10
    • Aimpoint H1 in LaRue LT-660 mount - $600
    • Magpul BAD lever - $30
    • Magpul AFG2 - $24
    • Magpul XTm rail covers - $35
    • Ergo ladder rail covers - $20
    • BCM Gunfighter charging handle - $45
    • Inforce HSP WML - $109
    • Daniel Defense QD mount - $15
    • BattleComp 2.0 - $165
    • Ident SBR Engraving - $57
    • Spike's Tactical enhanced LPK - $150
      • [STRIKE]Spike's Tactical Battle Trigger[/STRIKE] (-$50)
      • Spike's Tactical billet trigger guard
      • [STRIKE]KNS Gen2 anti-rotation pins[/STRIKE] (-$25)
      • Spike's Tactical ambi-safety
    • Magpul CTR stock kit - $150
      • Spike's Tactical receiver extension (milspec)
      • Spike's Tactical buffer spring
      • Spike's Tactical ST-T2 buffer
      • Spike's Tactical castle nut (staked x2)
    • Magpul enhanced buttpad - $20
    • Magpul MOE+ grip - $17
    • Geissele SD-C trigger - $196
    • Form 1 costs - $207
      • Tax stamp
      • Postage
      • Passport photos
    Total Rifle: $2,929

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Good call on not using the KNS pins with the Geissele. This is from m4c.

From Bill Geissele himself:

DasRonin,

I didn't see an email from you. It might have got hung up in my spam filter or something.

Here is the deal on non-rotating pins

Geissele SSA pins are 0.1550" dia +/-0.0001
    Holes in the trigger can be 5 tenths over Geissele pin size
    Kns pins are either .154 or .1555. So they are either too loose or just about a metal to metal fit in our triggers

Geissele pins are chrome-moly steel that is rough turned, rough ground, heat treated and then centerless finish ground. They are a quality pin.

Why do we not recommend KNS pins? One is that they are the wrong size. Can the smaller diameter pins work? Yes, but they are not the intended size and there can be a 'softer" break to the 2nd stage with them.

But the biggest reason is that the KNS pins are soft. Sometimes when they are installed they pull up a burr that causes havoc with trigger operation. I get calls from frustrated customers where they are totally disappointed in their SSA because it either feels terrible or it hangs up. I spend all kinds of time on the phone wracking my brain trying to figure out what is going on and trying to work the customer through the problem. Finally, I ask the customer to send the trigger in (which I hate to inconvenience the customer with) and the issue is that the KNS pins are jamming the trigger up.

Yes, our website is a total mess. We have a new one almost ready but I would rather spend time in the shop. We doubled our manufacturing floor space in Dec and am still getting everything set up. BTW - the company has a Facebook page if you guys want to check us out.

I hope this helps, guys. Don't ever hesitate to contact me if questions come up.

Here's the link: KNS Pins & SSA Trigger - M4Carbine.net Forums. I tend to believe Geissele, but :dunno:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Great review and information as always.

I just received my SSA today and I'm going to put it in my 9mm AR pistol since 9mm is cheaper to shoot than 223/556 and I'm running low anyway. I'm quite sure I'll be ordering another for my 223/556 AR soon.

Good call on not using the KNS pins with the Geissele. This is from m4c.

From Bill Geissele himself:

DasRonin,

I didn't see an email from you. It might have got hung up in my spam filter or something.

Here is the deal on non-rotating pins

Geissele SSA pins are 0.1550" dia +/-0.0001
    Holes in the trigger can be 5 tenths over Geissele pin size
    Kns pins are either .154 or .1555. So they are either too loose or just about a metal to metal fit in our triggers

Geissele pins are chrome-moly steel that is rough turned, rough ground, heat treated and then centerless finish ground. They are a quality pin.

Why do we not recommend KNS pins? One is that they are the wrong size. Can the smaller diameter pins work? Yes, but they are not the intended size and there can be a 'softer" break to the 2nd stage with them.

But the biggest reason is that the KNS pins are soft. Sometimes when they are installed they pull up a burr that causes havoc with trigger operation. I get calls from frustrated customers where they are totally disappointed in their SSA because it either feels terrible or it hangs up. I spend all kinds of time on the phone wracking my brain trying to figure out what is going on and trying to work the customer through the problem. Finally, I ask the customer to send the trigger in (which I hate to inconvenience the customer with) and the issue is that the KNS pins are jamming the trigger up.

Yes, our website is a total mess. We have a new one almost ready but I would rather spend time in the shop. We doubled our manufacturing floor space in Dec and am still getting everything set up. BTW - the company has a Facebook page if you guys want to check us out.

I hope this helps, guys. Don't ever hesitate to contact me if questions come up.

Here's the link: KNS Pins & SSA Trigger - M4Carbine.net Forums. I tend to believe Geissele, but :dunno:

Wow thank you for posting this. I was planning on installing my SSA with the KNS pins and was about to ask esrice why he didn't.

Thanks again

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Good call on not using the KNS pins with the Geissele.

Yeah I did some reading over on ARFCOM on the subject and saw the same thing. I figure if I'm spending this kind of cash on a trigger I might as well get it's full potential. Even if the KNS pins do have the cool-factor. :laugh:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I need to make fun of LMW for wearing gloves while cleaning one measly rifle. :D

Also thanks for the updated parts list and cost breakdown. I know you're a "buy quality gear" type of a guy... But holy cow. That's just one more reason I'm NOT a rifle guy, and especially not a BR guy. :n00b:

Of course, if I ever WERE to invest, I'd just as soon have 1 QUALITY BR set exactly how I want it vs. 2-3 bottom of the barrel guns just so I could have 2-3 guns.

-J-

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I need to make fun of LMW for wearing gloves while cleaning one measly rifle. :D

Also thanks for the updated parts list and cost breakdown. I know you're a "buy quality gear" type of a guy... But holy cow. That's just one more reason I'm NOT a rifle guy, and especially not a BR guy. :n00b:

Of course, if I ever WERE to invest, I'd just as soon have 1 QUALITY BR set exactly how I want it vs. 2-3 bottom of the barrel guns just so I could have 2-3 guns.

-J-

I went the 2-3 gun route :dunno:

Top Bottom