• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    I was never a big fan of the Tacti-Cool'd out AR-15 platform.. I don't like the rails and the accessories and all the other plastic bits and pieces that people bolt on to them.. I DO however like the utility, and brutality that the platform can take.. I am not a person to baby my weapons.. They are tools that are meant to work no matter the condition, no matter how many scratches they have or how clean they are.

I decided late last year to start piecing together what I would consider 'My Battle Rifle'. This rifle would be a tool to train with, it would get used and abused.. It would be reliable and accurate enough to be on paper at 100 yards.. We have other rifles for long range and accuracy, this one just needed to be good enough.

Most of all, this rifle would be put together on the cheap and only via trades and good deals.

I present to you my bare bones, good enough for a grunt Battle Rifle..

2012-12-15%252015.07.25.jpg

2012-12-18%252017.03.56.jpg

2013-01-18%252016.54.41.jpg

2013-03-20%252017.09.35.jpg

It fired its first two magazines today.. The FSB is not pinned yet.. I tapped the bottom hole for a set screw to get it sighted in and hold it in place, and I will pin it as soon as I get the reamer and new taper pins in the mail.

I also need to pick up a peel washer so I can properly attach the flash hider.

Other than that, It fired 60 rounds today flawlessly.. Ejection was consistent and it fed bulk ammo, as well as some REM cased reloads... I cannot be happier with the rifle.. after some beating on the FSB with the butt of a magazine to get it in place, and some rounds down range, I was making some good hits on paper..

After I figured out all the trades and trade backs and deals.. I have about $700 in this rifle.. It's not 'tight'.. It doesn't exude 'precision' but I could give a **** less if it fell off the roof as long as it put bullets in the desired target..

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It's almost identical to the first one I built. Sniff, sniff, ahh...... the nostalgia.

Anyway, I built another one just a couple of months later, and another a few months after that...

Be careful, it can become addicting.

Nice start though.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Looks good to me! I built my first one, end of December, with trades, a little Christmas cash that was specified to help build my AR, (Thanks Pops!), and a stripped lower, Christmas gift from my wife! (Thanks babe!)
    I pray thinks return to normal, because I'm already itchin to build another!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    My last build was a simple retro carbine. It has an 11.5" bbl with a 5.5" moderator pinned and welded, short triangular hand guards, A1 upper and simple collapsible stock. I love it and everyone who sees it wants to build one.

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    If the rifle proves reliable it will be getting a stamp and 11.5" barrel.

I will not build another. I can only shoot one at a time so that's all I need!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My last build was a simple retro carbine. It has an 11.5" bbl with a 5.5" moderator pinned and welded, short triangular hand guards, A1 upper and simple collapsible stock. I love it and everyone who sees it wants to build one.

I want one....pick me....pick me.

Edit...OP, nice piece.

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    Chris-

I must say, it looks good! Simple to the point and useful. It isn't meant to be pretty in pictures, or help you look like a badass. It is something you go out and shoot, I am piecing together another AR currently and for the money I have into it plus the optics... I would say it is fairly similar (minus the optics of course).

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Looks as good to me as some selling for twice that! I do like my firearms, but really could care less what others think about the way I configure them. I also like simple, but do have to add optics now since I have gotten old and my eyes are not as good!

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    I'm not sold on the Magpul front handguard.. It's very comfortable for shooting from a bench or prone, but it's a little wide for CQB manipulation stuff..

It does have the advantage of being 'grippier' than a standard guard.. I'll have to try both out to see which one works better for me.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Nice looking rifle. I like it.
    I'm in the middle of my "build". I bought a complete Bushy lower from an INGO member and Didn't run into an upper right away.
    I kinda put off doing the upper and then "BOOM" prices skyrocketed.
    Now an upper is more $ than a complete rifle 6 months ago.
    I'll wait. I still have 2 "Store bought" ARs. Colt 15-2 and Armalite 10-4 so no hurry.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    There's nothing wrong with a plain jane rifle. In the military you start off basic training using just the iron sights. With any training for these kinds of rifles, knowing the basics is good, but once you are good at it, it's not about the "if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality", it's about how you can enhance your performance.

I see that the rifle the OP presented uses plastic mags over metal ones and a more ergonomic handguard. Those already enhances what you can do with the rifle. Optics are a plus because it enhances your ability to work your rifle, hence a flat top will give you better eye relief for your rifle. Changing the front sight so it's a flip up and rear BUIS is a must after you've installed an optic. A vertical foregrip does help with any fighting AR traditionally. Changing out the OEM stock to something that fits you is a plus so you can get a better check rest.

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    There's nothing wrong with a plain jane rifle. In the military you start off basic training using just the iron sights. With any training for these kinds of rifles, knowing the basics is good, but once you are good at it, it's not about the "if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality", it's about how you can enhance your performance.

I see that the rifle the OP presented uses plastic mags over metal ones and a more ergonomic handguard. Those already enhances what you can do with the rifle. Optics are a plus because it enhances your ability to work your rifle, hence a flat top will give you better eye relief for your rifle. Changing the front sight so it's a flip up and rear BUIS is a must after you've installed an optic. A vertical foregrip does help with any fighting AR traditionally. Changing out the OEM stock to something that fits you is a plus so you can get a better check rest.

Great post! I've been looking for an alternative to the OEM stock but don't want any more height in the weld area.

As far as optics. My eyes are still fairly decent and strain takes a while to set in. If I were to ever go the optics route for 'My Battle Rifle' it would be EoTech(or equivelant) or Trij. ACOG. My concerns with these platforms is the punishment they can take. I don't see many reviews of people testing this as they are expensive pieces. I do agree to the merits of good optics, but feel that they would detract from the ruggedness of my setup.

Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    Looks good. Thats my attitude with my guns. They are tools to be used as long as they work and put the boolits where they need to go. And dents and dings give them charichter.

Top Bottom