• ...and so much more!
  • dan lenson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Gents & Ladies,

As much as I've bragged on my TCP 738 for it's conceal-ability and reliability, I've gotta UPDATE my peeps at INGO:

I shoot at an outdoors-only range, cuz there ain't no posers out often, particularly when it's 20 degrees out. And because I subscribe to 'Train-As-You-Fight'.

738 as EXCELLENT as she is in the Springtime and above temps... she JAMS LIKE A BASTAHHD -- VERY CONSISTENTLY -- IN WINTER TEMPS!! Acceptable ammo (WWB) & of course otherwise.

This has been an INGO-fan public service announcement.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Good point about practicing in various temperature and weather conditions. You found out the safe way that some firearms and ammo is very temperature sensitive.

Also not a bad idea to practice in the rain to see if high humidity affects your weapon. Had some nice range time in the rain when no one else shows up because it is raining.

Good post!

abmears

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I have noticed that my rock river ar jams a lot in the extreme cold as well. I wasn't sure if the ammo was temperature sensitive, or if it was just me using too thick of lube on the bolt.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was this close to loading up and going to wilber wright today. Before I could finish my list it was already 1:30 so maybe tomorrow.

Cold don't bother me until it gets windy.

Hope you find a different ammo or solve whatever was causing the problem.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Gents & Ladies,

As much as I've bragged on my TCP 738 for it's conceal-ability and reliability, I've gotta UPDATE my peeps at INGO:

I shoot at an outdoors-only range, cuz there ain't no posers out often, particularly when it's 20 degrees out. And because I subscribe to 'Train-As-You-Fight'.

738 as EXCELLENT as she is in the Springtime and above temps... she JAMS LIKE A BASTAHHD -- VERY CONSISTENTLY -- IN WINTER TEMPS!! Acceptable ammo (WWB) & of course otherwise.

This has been an INGO-fan public service announcement.

I had the same problem with mine (shot wonderfully then started slowly failing to extract then rapidly got worse and worse to the point of every round had issues) and called Taurus and found out that some of the earlier 738's had extractor problems. I sent it back to taurus and got it back in 3 weeks with a new extractor, barrel and the sent me an extra mag when it came back. Never had a problem since, it now slings brass about 10 feet behind me.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Don't bash the gun, bash the brand of lubrication you are using, if you're using something
    that will thicken in cold weather, this would be your problem.

May I suggest getting Montana Extreme Gun Grease.
    Products Montana X-Treme

I've used it on my firearms for over 7 years and have never had a problem with cold or warm weather shooting with it.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Don't bash the gun, bash the brand of lubrication you are using, if you're using something

Products Montana X-Treme

I've used it on my firearms for over 7 years and have never had a problem with cold or warm weather shooting with it.

+1, not so much for the specific lube (I have no experience with it), but for thickening/thinning lube causing issues at temperature extremes.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Oy vey. I hope I registered the warranty. Good word & thx, Bro!

Don't worry about the warranty card; I never fill those out with my Tauruses.

As for the TCP, definitely send it in. I had ton of extraction problems with mine, so it took a 3 week vacation to Miami Florida, and although I didn't get a free magazine like the poster above, I did get a perfectly functioning weapon when it returned.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    Cold weather shooting

I have shot IDPA matches in Mich at 18 above without trouble. I use
    BreakFree on all my guns. We were out with PCSD at 16 above the
    other week, no trouble.

8th

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

Products Montana X-Treme

I will agree with BeerMan's suggestion that your problems are likely lubricant-induced. Some lubricants get very viscous at low temps and lead to malfunctions. I can't speak for the Montana Extreme, but I use BreakFree and Slip 2000 when the weather gets cold. I shoot regularly this time of year and I don't have any problems with my guns not running.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have even seen the BreakFree cause problems in cold weather. Last winter I used some in a Hi Power and the darn thing would not fire. Basically to much lubricant. Never had a problem before, even in South Dakota where it gets colder then here.

broknaxl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    +1 on the lube scenario.I had that problem on a Python once while hunting in cold weather. Cleaned and changed lube and problem went away.

Top Bottom