• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Went out for the first time this year on saturday night, didn't see much untill i noticed that i thought were tines in the weeds about 100yds out. sure enough, about 6:30, i saw this bruiser stand up and start feeding towards the corn field. I sat until dark and left for home hoping i'd see him again the next day.

Sunday morning, i just couldn't crawl my butt out of bed, so when i finally woke up around 8, i was kicking myself in the rear for not going. I broke the bow out for some more practice and waited until around 4pm before heading back to the same stand as saturday evening.

I was in the stand by 4:45, and it was pretty quiet so i thought i'd surf ingo a bit. The wind was out of the northwest (perfect for this stand). Nothing was moving around me but some chipmunks under my stand, so i was fixated on watching them when i happened to look up and see the same buck at 70 yards feeding on some acorns. I slowly grabbed my bow, and let out a soft grunt. It got his attention and he was coming in! I stopped him at 27yds, quartering away and let the arrow fly. He bucked and ran about 10yds into some brush and stood for a few seconds before staggering off into the woods.

I decided to back out and get some help, two hours later we headed back to the woods. He didn't go 40yds from where i last saw him. :rockwoot:I dont know what he'll score (cant find my tape), but i know its my biggest bow kill to date. Typical 10 pt, with the startings of a droptine on his left beam, dressed 210lbs.

picture.php

picture.php

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm still a noob to deer hunting, surprised to hear that he would respond to a grunt like that before rut, love learning new stuff.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Thanks guys!

I'm still a noob to deer hunting, surprised to hear that he would respond to a grunt like that before rut, love learning new stuff.

I rarely use my grunt call before pre-rut, but he was heading in a direction where i wouldn't have had a shot. I just wanted to let him know something was over there so hopefully his curiosity would get the best of him, and it did! :D

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Congrats! Very nice buck and I too learned someting. I didnt even carry a call on opeing day. Seems like you got him curious. Might have to carry mine this weekend.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    :yesway:Congrats on that trophy, I don't have enough confidence in myself yet with a bow to hunt, wouldn't want to cause the animal any unnecessary suffering, but you seem to be spot on.:yesway:

Top Bottom