• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • disengaged

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Madison County
    I harvested my biggest buck on Sunday with 50 caliber Traditions Vortek Ulta-Light Muzzleloader. :D

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Wide rack. Nice buck. I am turning green.

Northern, southren east or west Madison county. ZInquiring minds from the county want to know. So far I have not seen as many this year as last but it has been to warm and sunny. I almost always get mine when it is coler and cloudy.

Last edited:

disengaged

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Madison County
    Thanks, All!

Here's the rest of the story...

I especially looked forward to opening day of firearm season this year, because for the last couple of years a good friend and I have traveled down to southern Indiana to hunt. We set up a deer camp on two pieces of connecting family property - no electricity, no cell phone service, it's perfect...

picture.php

My friend has a ladder stand and trail camera set up on the piece of property that he hunts. We arrived early on Friday to set up camp and check the camera. We found it had caught quite a bit of activity - including this pic...

picture.php

After setting up camp and we decided to take one last practice shot with the muzzleloaders. I have a Vortek Ultralight 50 caliber that I really like...

picture.php

Early Saturday morning, we wished each other luck and I walked to my usual ridge on the other property. I watched a couple of does and a smaller buck go by. It wasn't long before I heard a shot from the other property. My friend radioed that he had taken a buck, but not the 'big one'.

Saturday evening, I returned to my spot, but only saw a small doe and small army of turkeys.

Sunday morning, I decided to change locations and 'still hunt' a little deeper into the property instead. I spotted a doe around 8:10am and sat down on a fallen log to see if anything would come in behind her - nothing did...

...instead shortly after and directly behind me another doe came creeping down the opposite ridge around 8:30am. I slowly repositioned myself to watch that area...

That's when I saw the antlers coming through the thicket about 20 feet behind her. The antlers disappeared behind a tree, I quickly shouldered my muzzleloader, found the tree in my scope, and froze again. Finally, he stepped in to view offering a perfect broadside - nothing but ridge line behind him - I fired...

picture.php

disengaged

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Madison County
    Thanks again, folks.

Yeah, getting this one mounted - I usually give the antlers to my bird dog...not this time. Made a deal with the wife that if he made the record book and taxidermy was under $500...I'd get a shoulder mount for over the fireplace.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Thanks again, folks.

Yeah, getting this one mounted - I usually give the antlers to my bird dog...not this time. Made a deal with the wife that if he made the record book and taxidermy was under $500...I'd get a shoulder mount for over the fireplace.
    Nice buck! There is a guy over in Atwood, IL. that did my 10pt for $150 but that was back in 2006. He did real nice work for $150.

Congrats again! Cant wait to get my muzzleloader in the woods next thursday(Illinois). CVA Kodiak Magnum .50cal

disengaged

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Madison County
    That's a good price. The taxidermist that is working mine has been in business for 30 years - the rest of his work looked really good.

Good luck with your hunt!

Top Bottom