My conversation with an Anti/Fence sitter?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    What follows was a conversation I had last night on a Pro-gun post, with reference to Ronald Reagan, on a friends Facebook page last night.

Anti: Maybe his Alzheimer had already kicked in or maybe he was paid off like all the rest of the NRA supporters?

Me: He was a man among men ... Best modern day President we ever had. And Leona, I am the NRA. Life Member and Damn proud of it, just saying.

Anti: I was just saying too. *shrugs* I didn't say anything bad about how Regan held office. just this one decision The whole gun control issue is about assault weapons so why do people act like its ALL weapons? I see messages from the NRA on FB saying "Protect our constitutional rights." and they show a hand gun. No one wants to take away hunting rifles or hand guns. The constitution was written prior to Assault weapons am I wrong? So perhaps they only secure the right to carry muskets? I can't be the only one who sees this...and seriously, I am just trying to make sense of it all. I don't even know if Ann's post is for or against gun control lol...But to me it makes Regan look insane.... just saying. *shrugs again*

Me: The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do about hunting. Assault Weapons is a misnomer as only the military has true assault rifles capable of full automatic fire. (I was not going to try and educate her on the facts about how we CAN legally own NFA firearms). What we as civilians own are semi-automatic versions. The muskets of the time of the writing of the Constitution WERE the assault rifles of their day. The Founding Fathers feared that one day their descendants would face the loss of all the Freedoms and Liberties they fought so hard for that they plainly wrote out just what they did. Plain English, the Rights of the People shall not be infringed.

Anti: Like I said I am just trying to make sense of it all Bill. I am using common sense and the very word assault seems to = attack not defend or protect. I just dont see the need to have an assault weapon unless I wish to assault many people at once. It is an extreme weapon and extreme is seldom good in any instance. common sense is all I have to go on here.

Me: That's just it Leona, the Founding Fathers wanted the People to be able to defend themselves in the remote possibility of the government becoming so out of control that the very freedoms and liberties they sacrificed for became threatened. They never envisioned a standing army or national police force. What you see on the news about so called "assault rifles" is hype. What we as civilians can own are not capable of full auto fire. Think about this, during the LA riots after the OJ Simpson trial, it was civilian store owners protecting their businesses that made those mobs go elsewhere, some place that wasn't defended by an armed owner. There are more cases of law abiding citizens defending themselves with guns that you will never read about or see on the news. If they put all those on everyone would see that the actual shootings like what just took place are very small in numbers compared to the good folks protecting themselves and their loved ones.

I find it interesting, but not surprising that once she was hit with on tidbit of facts of "good guys/girls" with guns she no longer wanted to continue our so called conversation.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Yesterday I had a conversation with some friends and they thought that assault weapons were full automatic fire . So many people don't know what is going on they need to be informed by us.

jontz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    I could spit into Michigan
    Here's the key phrase in this conversation:

Anti: Like I said I am just trying to make sense of it all Bill. I am using common sense and the very word assault seems to = attack not defend or protect. I just dont see the need to have an assault weapon unless I wish to assault many people at once.

I have two problems with this phrase. First off I don't believe that anyone's rights should be infringed upon because another party doesn't see the need. There are many other rights people in the country possess that I don't see the need for, but I don't begrudge them that right and I certainly don't campaign against it. Secondly this phrase bothers me because it underscores that people today have no idea how our freedom was won or why the right to bear arms is constitutionally protected. Thank you for trying to educate someone on the subject. It is much appreciated.

Good job! Someday the seed you planted may produce fruit and she will be willing to listen.

WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    Here's the key phrase in this conversation:

I have two problems with this phrase. First off I don't believe that anyone's rights should be infringed upon because another party doesn't see the need. There are many other rights people in the country possess that I don't see the need for, but I don't begrudge them that right and I certainly don't campaign against it. Secondly this phrase bothers me because it underscores that people today have no idea how our freedom was won or why the right to bear arms is constitutionally protected. Thank you for trying to educate someone on the subject. It is much appreciated.

Good job! Someday the seed you planted may produce fruit and she will be willing to listen.

That was my hope, to plant the seed and hopefully have her start to think for herself, learn for herself and question what is being said and reported. Only time will tell.

Top Bottom