• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Five years ago, I built myself a new PC.

This morning, the CPU fan finally gave up the ghost.

It didn't do it all at once. In fact, it was still making about 100 RPM, but that was just not enough to keep my AMD Phenom II 3.4 GHz six core monster cool. It did, however, take me completely by surprise when my desktop just shutdown. It didn't even do a proper shutdown, it just turned off.

Not knowing why it turned off, I gave it a slow five count and hit the power button to reboot it. Maybe it was a power fluctuation. I'd been having problems with Firefox 35.0.1 and wanted to install the newest (36.0.4 at the time), and see if that made my web experience smoother. Still, I paid close attention to my hardware system monitor (gkrellm) when it came back up. After a nice, slow, leisurely reboot, the CPU temp came back up at 108°C!!!
    That meant that it had to have been over 110°C before it shat itself. That was when I really eyeballed the CPU fan (case sits on my desk with the side open) and noticed its lethargic rate of spin. I quickly hit the software shutdown and brought it down in a controlled fashion. Still, I thought, "That's hot enough to boil water. There's no way a CPU can survive that kind of temps." and I reached out and touched the tip of my CPU cooler's heat pipes with the tip of my finger, and I swear I heard a sizzle before jerking my hand away. Yes. It was actually that hot. And I have a mark on my fingertip to remember it by.

ATM, I have a spare three-wire 90 mm fan bread-tied in place and holding the temp at 44°C steady. All six cores are working fine. There aren't any error messages in /var/adm/messages to indicate otherwise (aside from some asshat trying to break into my root account through ssh. Not gonna work, poopstain!) I've ordered a water CPU cooler from Novum Ovum (NewEgg.com), which should be here by the weekend. Then, I get to cut a portal in the back of the case for the coolant lines to run.

Gonna shut down now and go to bed so I don't temp fate and wind up with a molten CPU by morning. Oh, and Firefox 37.0 is installed now.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    What water cooler did you get? I recently installed one of Cosairs closed loop systems at the end of last year, the h105 package, and I have been very pleased with it. My 4690k i5 is up to 4.59GHZ and it keeps me around 30C Idle.

I always keep Real Temp GT running, CPUs are too expensive to melt :)

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've had CPU fans crap out on me before.
    They're mechanical components, so it's inevitable.
    It's cool that you're not the average PC user, but an experienced person who knows how to build them and do basic repairs.
    Nicely done.
    Your reference to /var/adm/messages leads me to believe that you're a fellow Linux user, n'est pas?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Five years ago, I built myself a new PC.

This morning, the CPU fan finally gave up the ghost.

It didn't do it all at once. In fact, it was still making about 100 RPM, but that was just not enough to keep my AMD Phenom II 3.4 GHz six core monster cool. It did, however, take me completely by surprise when my desktop just shutdown. It didn't even do a proper shutdown, it just turned off.

I see we have the same choice in CPUs... :naughty:

And I've lost count how many times I touched a chip and burnt my finger.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Sounds like you have the right idea. Hopefully you won't have any issues with the CPU once you install the water cooling.

spray-bottle-with-fan.jpg

A few squirts every little bit will solve the cooling problem.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Maybe it needs more Thermal Battery ? :dunno:
    In a very real way, yes. Just as in that thread, the thermal battery is a tank of liquid, adding a water cooler with a mounting block, hose, and radiator is adding a tank full of fluid. Thanks for noticing.

Sounds like you have the right idea. Hopefully you won't have any issues with the CPU once you install the water cooling.
    As I said, I'm still using it right now and it's not throwing any weird errors, so I think I'm good.

What water cooler did you get?
    Cooler Master Seidon 120V ? Compact All-In-One CPU Liquid Water Cooling System with 120mm Radiator and Fan - Newegg.com Cooler Master Seidon 120V. Simple, simple, simple. And its standard 120 mm fan can be swapped for a new one when it craps out.

Your reference to /var/adm/messages leads me to believe that you're a fellow Linux user, n'est pas?
    Installed SLS on my first PC in 1996. Next Summer will be the start of my third decade with the penguin.

Umm, hate to break it to you, but I think 'ATM' is an initialism for at the moment in this context.
    No, in this case, ATM I was typing "ATM" I was thinking of ATM, how there's no way he'd be able to resist commenting on my use of "ATM", and he fell right into my diabolical trap. Well, maybe something less than diabolical. Not exquisitely trap-like either.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At the moment (SWIDT?) I noticed my CPU case temp of 108°C, I also saw that the north bridge chip proclaimed itself at 109°C. I had worried that perhaps my Gigabyte 890 mobo's heat pipe had ruptured or some such that all of the heat removal capabilities were lost, but with my CPU humming along on all six cores at 45°C, the NB claims a mere 48°C, so looks like I'm sittin' pretty.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Before you invest in water cooling, you might want to take a peek at some simple monitoring. It concerns me that your OS didn't alert you to potential issues and then perform a controlled shut-down when you ignored the warnings.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I'm glad that your CPU survived those temps.

By the way, AMD has pretty good warranty service. I just did an exchange with them, all free of charge.

What linux distribution do you use?

And I've lost count how many times I touched a chip and burnt my finger.

Why are you touching your chip all the time? Stop it!

Top Bottom