• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jacobm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Newton County
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Very touching post. I found the part where you said "I'm proud to be his son" quite special. That statement alone says a lot about the man and the son he raised.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've never met you, OP, but if I were there, I'd give you a bro hug. My condolences on your loss.

-J-

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    So sorry to hear of your loss. I believe that a lot of times we post things like this just to get some feelings out. We know that there are people out there who have experienced the same thing and, even though we know better, some part of us hopes that they can offer some words that will make us feel better. There are no words that can help you cope with such a loss. You have my condolences of course. I lost my dad the day after Father's Day in '11. It was a total shock. No one could say anything to make it better or take away the loss but it helped to know that people cared. I like to think that I speak for a lot of people here by saying that I do care and am so sorry to hear this. I wish there was more that I could say but I know from experience the only thing that will help is time. You're so fortunate (and so is he) that you and other family members were able to be there with him. I wish I had that opportunity. It does get better. It will be slow...but it gets better.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I lost my dad a few weeks before Fathers Day in '11, I still miss him every day. Time does help, but it is a long road. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm sorry to hear of your fathers passing and on his birthday no less.
    It's not when he died but how he lived that you'll remember and miss the most.
    It'll be 4 years Febuary my dad passed. I can laugh about stuff he did now. At the time it left an emptiness I'd never felt.
    It does get easier and your memories will be fonder as time passes.
    God Bless you and family. Peace be with you.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I am very sorry for your loss. I lost my mom and dad last year and I still keep thinking to call them and talk about this or that or stop and have coffee and realize they are gone. Healing takes a while I guess. Again, I am sorry.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    There are no words that could possibly have enough meaning for your situation right now. Even though I've been through a very similar situation myself, the words still just don't add up. It's not strange at all for you to be somewhat at a loss as to what to do with yourself right now. Take your time. It sounds like your Dad was the kind of man that has already given you the guidance you need to get through it. You also have lots of thoughts and prayers being sent in your direction too. Take care.

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    So sorry for your loss, I'll pass on a poem that was given to me at my youngest son funeral and hope it some how helps you as it did me.
    I'm Free
    DON'T GRIEVE FOR ME, FOR NOW I'M FREE
    I'M FOLLOWING THE PATH GOD HAS LAID YOU SEE.
    I TOOK HIS HAND WHEN I HEARD HIM CALL,
    I TURNED MY BACK AND LEFT IT ALL.
    I COULD NOT STAY ANOTHER DAY,
    TO LAUGH, TO LOVE TO WORK, TO PLAY.
    TASKS LEFT UNDONE MUST STAY THAT WAY,
    I FOUND PEACE AT THE CLOSE OF DAY.

IF MY PARTING HAS LEFT A VOID,
    THEN FILL IT WITH REMEMBERED JOYS.
    A FRIENDSHIP SHARED, A LAUGH, A KISS,
    OH YES, THESE THINGS I TOO WILL MISS.
    BE NOT BURDENED WITH TIMES OF SORROW,
    I WISH YOU THE SUNSHINE OF TOMORROW.

MY LIFE'S BEEN FULL, I'VE SAVORED MUCH,
    GOOD FRIENDS, GOOD TIMES, A LOVED ONES TOUCH.
    PERHAPS MY TIME SEEMED ALL TOO BRIEF,
    DON'T LENGTHEN IT NOW WITH UNDUE GRIEF.
    LIFT UP YOUR HEARTS AND PEACE TO THEE,
    GOD WANTED ME NOW, HE SET ME FREE...

Auther unknown

I really hope those words give you some comfort as they did me.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Sorry for your loss. My Dad has seen his health decline rapidly in the last year. I'm trying to call him every day and keep an eye on him.

Your days will get better!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Been where you are, man. That whole generation of my family is down to about 4. Used to be a lot more. My dad was CG in WWII, but I had a couple of uncles USMC. I'm sure they'd have a Semper Fi for your dad. Cherish what you had, don't grieve for what you've lost; as long as it's with you, it lives.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I am sorry to say I know how you feel. My dad passed 7 years ago.
    It was years before I "got over it." (I don't think we ever do completely - just get used to the idea).
    Cherish the memories. It's ok to cry, but remember, he's fine now ... you're just feeling sorry for yourself ;) and that's ok.
    Thoughts and prayers.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I don't know where your dad was on his Spiritual Journey, as you didn't mention it. If you are not a religous person, please don't be offended, as this is meant for comfort, not indoctrination!

I do believe that there is a Heaven, and I do believe that we will meet our loved ones there after we pass. Our time on earth is just a short part of our existence, and simply a price we have to pay, like an apprenticeship. Before I wrote this, I did say a prayer, asking God to give your family family the strength to carry on, to celebrate his life instead of mourning his loss, & to know that he is in a better place now.

It is always hard to lose a loved one, but I find it more comforting to focus on the good memories, and know that they were brought home, and are watching over us, waiting for us to join them.

Focus on the love you have for your dad, not any of the negative memories, if there are any. I'm sure he loved you and your family, and you will see him again.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    So sorry for you and your families loss. Sounds like a good man. My dad is getting up in age and it will tear me up when his time has come.

Top Bottom