• ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    DUI-Accident first on the scene on the way to school today

This morning my daughter had a learning experience! Three teenagers found out what drinking and driving will do to you. We came onto the accident scene about a minute after it happened.

The pickup went off the road, hit a ditch, and flipped at least two times. The two boys were ejected, one into a muddy ditch and the other in the left lane. The girl was wandering around with blood and lacerations. She said she was ejected.

Only one person was trying to help before the two of us got out of the car. I grabbed my first aid bag, which was useless except for gloves and checked them out. My daughter tried to calm down the girl (14). She gave hints she was under the influence of something. Both of the boys were in conditions that any movement would be dangerous. The boy in the ditch had multiple broken bones and internal injuries to his abdomen. The boy in the road had multiple broken bones, a bone chip pointing out of his the side of his forhead and NO sensation below his upper chest.

Both knew their names but the boy in the road was getting worse as time went on. About 6 minutes later the EMT’s arrived. They did what was needed and when they boarded the boy in the road, we all saw the knot on his spine.

The police had the girl blow a meter and she was well over the limit. We thought she was going to be tasered.
    What a waste!

Last edited:

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Im not sure which was worse, that it happened, or that no-one but you stopped to help.

Glad to hear it wasn't what I thought based on the title (that your daughter had a DUI accident).

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    They are lucky the truck did not crush them as it flipped. Generally, when a vehicle flips, the person is ejected in the same direction of the flip. I've seen what a person looks like who was ejected only to be crushed by their own vehicle. Auto crashes can be quite horrific. A co worker was off-duty in his patrol car when someone next to him at the light was rear ended. Car burst into flames, he tried to get to the driver but the flames were too bad. Person cooked in the car while he was standing there helpless. Hopefully, the scene you were at will not give your teen nightmares.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Im not sure which was worse, that it happened, or that no-one but you stopped to help.

Glad to hear it wasn't what I thought based on the title (that your daughter had a DUI accident).

20 cars were stopped by my estimate, 3 others helped, one was a full blown emt with O2, but short of and ER or Trauma center, nothing local would have helped these two.

My daughter is a trooper, and she told me to slow down between the two boys. They were about 100 feet apart.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I have a two teenagers so this hits close. Stupid mistake that will affect them for the rest of their lives. My Prayers for the kids and family. +1 for Longbow for being a good Samaritan.

I assume they weren't wearing seat belts?

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    She is fine! We had an interesting talk on the way to school. I did give the school a heads up when I dropped her off late for school this morning.

It does suck to know that one of the boys most likely had a broken back / worse. He was going into shock as the emt's arrived. The head injury was bad, but not bloody.

I did give a nasty look to the guy taking pictures or video with a camera. But we did what we could time the emt's arrived with the gear.

Other than the girl, the two injured boys were not that bloody. Sadly I've seen much worse over the years.

My first aid kit is geared towards gunshots and lacerations. I have very little to deal with mutliple broken bones and head injuries of this nature.

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I saw a big truck on fire on the interstate yesterday before the fire trucks got there. one lonely IMPD cop had traffic stopped on that side of the highway. looked like everyone made it out of the box truck.

as for the drunk driving...... I have ZERO sympathy for a drunk driver. they CHOOSE what they do, and I think on the first incident they should NEVER be allowed to drive again. I have lost dear friends to drunk drivers, one was a state representative and a very dear mentor and friend to me. I will never forget what drunk driving can do.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I saw a big truck on fire on the interstate yesterday before the fire trucks got there. one lonely IMPD cop had traffic stopped on that side of the highway. looked like everyone made it out of the box truck.

as for the drunk driving...... I have ZERO sympathy for a drunk driver. they CHOOSE what they do, and I think on the first incident they should NEVER be allowed to drive again. I have lost dear friends to drunk drivers, one was a state representative and a very dear mentor and friend to me. I will never forget what drunk driving can do.
    Unfortunately many people here preach it as a victimless crime. It is anything but.

Anyone here recall the accident many years ago at Kentucky Ave. and Lynhurst where the wife was driving in front and the husband behind...both were drunk.

They were driving home after their son's wedding reception. She stopped at the light and he didn't.

Her car burst into flames when his 3/4 ton pickup rammed her Tracker from behind...she couldn't get out of the vehicle and was burned alive.

He had two fractured femurs but still managed to walk to her car to try to pull her out. He failed.

Victimless... :noway:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Why the surprise that no one helped. People have been schooled for Decades to not help.

Unfortunately many people here preach it as a victimless crime. It is anything but.

Anyone here recall the accident many years ago at Kentucky Ave. and Lynhurst where the wife was driving in front and the husband behind...both were drunk.

They were driving home after their son's wedding reception. She stopped at the light and he didn't.

Her car burst into flames when his 3/4 ton pickup rammed her Tracker from behind...she couldn't get out of the vehicle and was burned alive.

He had two fractured femurs but still managed to walk to her car to try to pull her out. He failed.

Victimless... :noway:

I don't think suffering the consequences of your own stupidity is being a victim. And if they had made it home without causing harm to someone or something else, who would have been the victim?

Not to derail the thread, but this has been discussed ad nauseum and this question is never addressed by those claiming it is not a victimless crime?

Top Bottom