• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    While I am seeing chatter on the board as to the quality of Olympic Arms, here is my personal and professional opinion on their rifles;

First off by let me state in that in my experience that 98% of all problem rifles are from end user modifications and lack of proper maintenance. I in the past have built and maintained hundred of rifles and very few of them have ever been "finicky", unreliable, or just didn't work. That being said....

Olympic Arms in my opinion builds an excellent rifle for the money. While their product line included models and products I may not care as much for, a majority of their rifles are indeed great. (BTW, every company has products I don't care for) I have noticed that the fit and finish of their rifles is inline with the price and for the money paid meets the expectations of the said price point. Sometimes I shake my head and have to send a rifle back to them, but they've always made it right or I have taken my own time to do so.

A few things I will say about Olympic Arms;

They brought the A3 flattop and free float tubes to market before anyone else, and at a time at a price no one expected them to be at. So with out their innovative nature the features that are so much a part of the platform today, we owe to them.

Their Stainless Steel barrels are accurate! I will not go out to say that they are more accurate than a "Boutique" builder in any sense, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them hang in there at a much lower cost to the consumer. They make good barrels plain and simple.

They guys at Olympic are level headed, they know their place in the market and have never tried to be something they are not. They know they are not some multimillion dollar company they spends countless dollars on sponsoring MMA fighters, plastering giant logo's on banners, and what not. I praise them that during the Obama hype for just doing what they always did and not d*cking with their dealers like just about everyone else did.

In my time working here, I've had 4 of their Plinker Plus rifles come back in the shop. We've sold hundreds of them. I am not all to bent out of shape about this. For the money, usually less than 650.00, the rifles preform pretty good. Like everything mechanical a few tweaks might be in order to make it run flawless.

Their M4 rifles, the K8's and K16's are awesome. The K8 (I've seen these shoot dime sized groups all day long at 100 with handloads) and K16 (mine shoots quarters if I do my part with off the shelf Hornady 55gr. V-Max) are shooters, just bonkers how accurate those guns are. Out post sample M4 is probably the most neglected and abused rifle I've ever seen, and it works. I am continually surprised by that gun.

The Plinker series of guns are hit and miss, more hits by far though. It kills me when a customer comes in and wants the absolute cheapest AR and flat out expects it to run like a Daniel Defense (I've had DDM4 that literally had more rounds get stuck in the chamber than it ever shot by the way, they still make a darn fine rifle, but Sh*t happens, I understand that). My Chevy Cobalt is cheap, it runs, and does a good job, but it is no way a Aston Martin so have the same expectation when it comes to your guns for crying out loud.

I've owned a Smith M&P 15 and a Bushmaster M4, and those to shot side by side to an Olympic M4 were exactly the same. They all had their flaws, but one of the 3 was a tad cheaper, if pick I was picking something off the shelf in the sub-900 range, I'd take the Olympic. I only had the Smith and Bushy cause I got them for insane prices. I see no benefit at all to the other two in the way of features and price. I will and can say since the Remington buy out, Bushmaster is only a logo and nothing more.

If my budget only allowed me 700 bucks, I'd just save my money for a few more weeks and get something else. but that me and I am pretty serious about my rifles. On the other hand will I ever again pay 2k for an M4, NO! I did that once and was pissed when a rifle I bought for 1/2 worked better in the aspects that are important. Keep in mind as well, anytime a product is brought to market in an effort to save money and keep the price point down, corners are cut. It doesn't matter what product we are talking about. So keep this in mind. S&W did this with the Sport by using some crazy method to make the upper, I've even had one of their Armorers Course Instructors tell me that MIM parts are stronger and more durable then CNC parts made from billet. :n00b:

If you just want a backyard plinker or a gun to goof around with. The Plinker's will fill that role. If you come to me asking for a fighting rifle I won't sell you a Plinker, I'll show you of one their M4's if that is all your budget allowed. If you ask if an Olympic is more accurate than a Noveske, I'd shrug and ask how good of a shot you are first. If it was a K8, I'd tell you it'd probably be close and that the K8 is a heck of a lot cheaper so I'd be willing to lose .1" if it meant I could spend 600.00 dollars extra on ammo. if accuracy is that important to you, I honestly tell to go find one of those barrels makers who treat barrels like 50,000.00 samurai swords, and make like 10 a year cause they are that friggin good.

Disclaimer;

I am not the average consumer. I will do my best to get you what you need in the budget you have.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    honest question- if someone needed a duty/battle rifle, would you put Oly in the same category as LMT, DD, Colt, Noveske, etc?

No, unless the Budget was the limiting factor. You are talking 1200-2000 carbines vs. 800-1000 carbines.

You get what you pay for, but in the end the user is the biggest factor in the abilities of the rifle.

That being said I was pinging steel off hand with my whoknowswhattabrand built rifle at 200 yds tonight with XS dots tonight pretty darn consistently.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    honest question- if someone needed a duty/battle rifle, would you put Oly in the same category as LMT, DD, Colt, Noveske, etc?

I'd say that'd depend on how much minutia was considered.

Essentially they are all "the same" as all of their parts will freely interchange with each others parts.

The main differences, if you can really want to get down into the nitty-gritty, are the difference between batch MPI & HPT testing vs individual testing, as well as 4140 vs 4150 barrel steel.

None of which actually enhances the rifle's performance in "real world applications" IMHO, but it can & does make enough of a difference to some folks to warrant spending more for that little bit of extra "piece of mind" so to speak.

That's my .02 on the subject anyway.

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    had my oly m4gery for a few years and its been very reliable.At an appleseed shoot in Gibsonburg Ohio I was consistantly hiting an 18" x 24" target at 500 yds with it(with cheap ammo), so I'd say its plenty accurate.
    I have not had any problems with it at all.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I'd say that'd depend on how much minutia was considered.

Essentially they are all "the same" as all of their parts will freely interchange with each others parts.

The main differences, if you can really want to get down into the nitty-gritty, are the difference between batch MPI & HPT testing vs individual testing, as well as 4140 vs 4150 barrel steel.

None of which actually enhances the rifle's performance in "real world applications" IMHO, but it can & does make enough of a difference to some folks to warrant spending more for that little bit of extra "piece of mind" so to speak.

That's my .02 on the subject anyway.

i am aware of the differences between the different companies.

i agree that some things like 4140 vs 4150 steel wont make a difference to the average civilian user. But for a class 3/fighting weapon,it certainly could. and when companies now are offering individually tested bolts and barrels for the same or a few dollars more, why even mess with the batch tested stuff? sure, EVERY company puts out lemons sometimes. But if the extra QC costs $0-100, why not?

I deplore the only a BCM, DD, LMT, etc will work. But I also don't like the attitude that all ARs are created equal. There's a reason why certain brands fail more often in carbine courses. Now, I fully admit that neither I nor 99% or AR owners run their guns that hard. :twocents:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    LPMan,

I agree, there is a "you get what you pay for" component, however we are still talking about fairly expensive rifles to begin with, even on the lower-end of the AR price spectrum ($800-$1000) a buyer can still buy a really accurate & reliable rifle.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I just think that there are diminishing returns on a department's &/or individual(s) dollars, the higher up that AR spectrum they go.

Hope that made sense.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    No, unless the Budget was the limiting factor. You are talking 1200-2000 carbines vs. 800-1000 carbines.

You get what you pay for, but in the end the user is the biggest factor in the abilities of the rifle.

That being said I was pinging steel off hand with my whoknowswhattabrand built rifle at 200 yds tonight with XS dots tonight pretty darn consistently.

Ok, I was with you until the part in bold.;):) Seriously though, good rant. You know I value your opinion.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Ok, in about 2 months I'm going to be in the market for an AR, considering my budget at $750 max, what are my options? This will be a plinker/entry level AR, I'm not going to varmit shoot, would consider Appleseed shooting, and I would be shooting maybe once a month, or every two months. HD as a option too, but just want an AR platform.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Ok, in about 2 months I'm going to be in the market for an AR, considering my budget at $750 max, what are my options? This will be a plinker/entry level AR, I'm not going to varmit shoot, would consider Appleseed shooting, and I would be shooting maybe once a month, or every two months. HD as a option too, but just want an AR platform.

Well I would probably suggest checking out INGO's classifieds first, I see used AR's listed in that price range all of the time.

Many of them even come with extra magazines &/or ammunition & accessories, which might help stretch your budget a bit.

What is roll-marked on them is less important IMHO w/regards to accuracy & reliability, than the operator taking that weapon out & really putting it through it's paces & getting to know their weapon.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort

Either look for a good used AR or buy and assembled lower and upper seperately (from different sources) or save up another $50- $100 and get a Spikes.

Back to the Oly conversation, Bradis has the Plinker models for under $650, I believe they even had a model for $599 for a while.

Im not a big Oly fan but I did own one of their flattop SS barreled uppers, and it was very accurate....

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County

You are probably looking at three brands with a $750 budget limit. Those would be Olympic Arms, DPMS, and Spike's. For your casual shooting, any of the three should suit you fine.

A build will allow you to spread out the total and possibly higher cost over a longer period of time. This makes it easier for some people to manage.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Back to the Oly conversation, Bradis has the Plinker models for under $650, I believe they even had a model for $599 for a while.

Plinker Plus $599.95; Plinker Plus flat-top w/ collapsing stock $629.95. :yesway:

You are probably looking at three brands with a $750 budget limit. Those would be Olympic Arms, DPMS, and Spike's.

The entry-level Spikes rifle would exceed his budget limit; I believe they start around $850 or so.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    It doesn't matter in all reality. If it has a good set of forged receivers, buy it as long as it is in your budget. Shoot the **** out of it, and take a few classes and see what you need to add or change on it to fit your needs. If it is an Olympic that is brand new or a Colt that hanging on by a tiny worn thread so be it. QUIT ASKING QUESTIONS ON THE INTERNET and unplug; get to a gun shop (or more, preferably 21sr Century Firearms) and lay hands on several different rifles and buy the one that fits your budget. If it doesn't work great, the end of the world isn't near and we (meaning if I have to tear that son of a b*tch down to is last pin and spring I will) and get it running and put lead down range. As you grow as a shooter and train with instructors, experienced shooters, and on your own...your needs will change, you will learn exactly what you need and go out and buy just that from your own experience.

Top Bottom