• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    Sorry to hear about your pup, keep reassuring your daughter that the dog is in the best place right now. Chances of the bolting stopping are slim. Mine was a bolster for the first five years & now he's calmed a bit. Good luck to you & yours, thoughts. & prayers

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Aww Cal, I'm SO sorry to hear that. I second and third the fence, or lacking that, the leash.

I've taught 90% of our dogs the "DROP" command that will stop them cold in their tracks and have them lay down. It's just a safety measure and just a suggestion. The rest I've taught to not go off the curb, or to stop at a driveway, until I get there to OK them crossing it. Having one of ours hit was a big fear of mine, hence the commands.

There is pretty good vet insurance, I just at the moment can't remember the name of it. Our vet will be open shortly, so I'll call and ask them. We had it for a while, and it proved invaluable. "Darting" your dogs chest is the same thing as they do to a person who had either a punctured lung, or just to much fluid in their chest cavity. Hopefully your vet will do it under sedation, it's less traumatic that way, and hurts less as well. Versed comes to mind, but I'm not sure if they use that on dogs or not. A lot of meds are interchangable. We used to use several of the ones for the horses, for ourselves, and now the even sell them in the stores for human use as well. Maybe you've heard of "koban", that kinda sticky tape that they put over gauze covering either wounds or burns? That came out years ago, and it's the same as "vet wrap". Your friend will probably come home wrapped, but that's ok.

Thank God the guy stopped, most other people won't. They figure it's "just a stray" and never bother to see if it's someones beloved "family member" or not. If you haven't already done so, have your dog "chipped" as well, with a "Home Again" chip that lets a vet, Humane Society, etc., know who the animal belongs to, and who to return him/her to.

Ok, I just talked to our vet, and they carry 2 types of animal ins. One is called VPI, and is an actual health insurance for animals, and the one I was thinking of is called "Care Credit", which most vets will use like a credit card for the animals well being. We had Care Credit, and it really was a help.

Tell your kidlett that your dog is in the very best hands, and that the Dr. will do everything necessary to make it all better. Hopefully this will work. It's been way to long since our daughter has had to deal with that, but the few times we've had to do "the last great act of kindness" she was right there by our sides to say "good bye, I love you, one day I'll see you again".
    All our prayers are with you and yours, including your dog!
    May the light at the end of your tunnel, be one of not only hope, but of health for your dog as well. Hugs! Bobbie

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'm glad she stopped, that was the right thing to do. That surely would have made a bad situation even worse if she would have kept going.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Keep us updated on the dog and your little one. We lost a Brit to a car accident when I was young - part of why I started training.

I can't agree with the "fence/leash" suggestions enough. My big girl is CGC but is never off leash near traffic or in populated areas. I trust the dog but I don't trust people.

As far as pet insurance, I've personally found it too pricey. I have a savings account that I put $ in monthly to cover expenses for the dogs.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Talked to the vet, they had to tap her chest. The air in her chest wasnt getting any worse if just wasn't getting better. They say I should be able to take her home this afternoon.

Daisy does really good off the lease, for me. I haven't had her bolt on me in a long time. She loves chasing birds and always stops chasing them as soon as they take off. I guess she just had to have this one... Now for the girlfriend, she has been told many times to take her Daisy out with the shock collar or leash (Daisy doesn't listen to her very well). Maybe she will start listening to me from now on.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Talked to the vet, they had to tap her chest. The air in her chest wasnt getting any worse if just wasn't getting better. They say I should be able to take her home this afternoon.

Daisy does really good off the lease, for me. I haven't had her bolt on me in a long time. She loves chasing birds and always stops chasing them as soon as they take off. I guess she just had to have this one... Now for the girlfriend, she has been told many times to take her Daisy out with the shock collar or leash (Daisy doesn't listen to her very well). Maybe she will start listening to me from now on.

may need to put the shock collar on the GF :D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    J Any one have pet insurance; with who, how much and is it worth it?
    Sorry about your GSD...
    Glad to hear it is fairly Minor all things considered.

AS far as Insurance, find out the Premiums. Then go start a separate Bank Account and put the Premiums into your own account...
    may need to put the shock collar on the GF :D
    I actually had a GF that liked to wear one... ;)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I tried mine on my arm before I put it on my Brittanys. I wouldn't shock my dog with one unless I knew what it felt like.

I do not using them. Not condoning those that do either. Some dogs need to have them.

I use Training Collars the Herm Sprenger spiked metal variety...
    They work for my needs...

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    `Sorry to hear about your dog man, hope she gets better soon.

Atleast the driver stops, its far to easy to accentually hit something and just speed away, your mind goes terrible places when you hear that thump (hit a raccoon)

Top Bottom