• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    This last weekend I had the opportunity to shoot my first IDPA nationals, the S&W Indoor Nationals in Springfield, MA. It was a great time and an incredible experience. The match is really hard to get into, so I was just happy to be offered a spot. I think I was notified sometime in December and started training for it as much as I could. Nothing quite prepared me for what I would see there though:D

My wife and I drove up to Springfield (16 hours:n00b:) and stayed at the match hotel. It was cool getting to meet some new shooters and later some guys that I've always wanted to meet like Jerry Miculek (kind of cool sharing an elevator with him). At registration, we got some cool stuff

349_zps93096702.jpg

I took along some practice targets and dummy rounds to the hotel room and did some dryfire practice getting ready for the match. Come Friday morning I was on the range, ready to go. This in and of itself was a neat experience. My squad was paired up with a "Squad Mom" who did a great job. She took care of all our scoresheets, guided us through the maze that is S&W, and generally encouraged us all day long. When we came to a black-out stage, my flashlight looked a bit dim and she let me borrow her 511 light (it was great, I'll be getting one of those). We had to do no pasting or reseting all day and could concentrate completely on the match.

So we came to the first stage and I did reasonably well. The second stage was also in that bay- this was not shot well. It was a stage called "Cosmic Bowling" and I really believed my match was over after that stage. It was bad, real bad. Why was it bad you ask? Because the targets looked like this!

cosmicbowling_zps8e8397cc.jpg

That isn't paint- that's a moving lazer show- in the dark. If you look closely, you'll see that's a Non-Threat target. Hard to see, isn't it. It was so hard for me to see, I decided to put a round through it. Miculek told me on the elevator that this stage offered him "the best opportunity for point shooting in a long time":D He also decided to give that NT a round, so I didn't feel so bad:laugh:

So, I blew that stage and then one after it. I knew I was in bad shape, but in retrospect, those stages were probably the very best thing that could have happened. I knew I had to fight back hard and whatever mental level I had on those stages was increased several fold from there on out. I only slightly messed up another stage- a stage that we all had to shoot an M&P Shield on. Yeah, it's little and it's a 9, but when you're use to shooting a 40 ounce+ gun, that little dude is downright snappy:laugh: Other than that, the match went really well. I think I was able to secure 4 stage wins, which was enough to keep me at the top of my class and put me at 5th in the division.

348_zpsde1dce98.jpg

My goals for the match were:
    1.) Perform well/Don't Get DQ'ed
    2.) Win My Class
    3.) Best Miculek on at least one stage

As Meatloaf said, "2 out of 3 ain't bad":laugh: Closest I came to Jerry was a little over 1 second.

I would have liked to got more pictures and maybe some vid, but things were tense at S&W. They were installing a rising metal barrier around the entire facility and had security both armed and unarmed everywhere. General gossip consensus is that S&W wasn't so much concerned about eastern terrorism as some anti's doing something there.

On Saturday night the awards ceremony was held. IDPA announced so really cool stuff coming down the pipe for us shooters! At the top of the list is the new rulebook- word has it that we're looking at around 6 weeks. This will go hand in hand with a new IDPA website, which they previewed that evening. It looks great and is highly interactive. It will become the Facebook of IDPA. Clubs can now host their website directly from IDPA.com. Rangelog will also offer shooters a way to keep and track their scores, practice drills, and so forth on the website. When the new book comes out, we can review it and make comments on it directly to IDPA.com. It will then be reviewed and finalized. Pretty cool stuff.

Also, S&W announced that they will hold the first sanctioned BUG match in November. :rockwoot:I might have to get the snubs out and start practicing.

IDPA now has a membership of over 21,000 and is the fastest growing competitive shooting sport in the world- for the last three years.

Looking forward to returning to Springfield!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Dude! AWESOME! Very proud of you! Excellent job! I want to start making a few of the larger matches and maybe get the chance to do something like this. Fantastic!

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Congrats TJ sounds like a good time.
    How many ESR shooters were there?
    Is there a link to the results to check out who was there?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Thanks everyone! If you're looking to get into IDPA, now is the time!

Paul- here's a link to the scores
    IDPA FEB 21,2013 Match

There was a record 18 ESR shooters (8 of them in my class). There was 30 in SSR with a few incompletes and dq's. Great revolver turnout in both divisions!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    :rockwoot::rockwoot:

4 dq's and 1 ftdr, any gossip? I needs ta know:)

The real gossip is on the one that reads "DQ Conduct."

I don't know what that was for, but I'm sure it wasn't pretty:nono: We actually had to sign a waiver saying that we wouldn't do certain things like taunt other competitors. It was tough for me, but I signed it anyway:laugh:

My guess is that most of the dq's came from muzzleing. There was one particular stage (ambulance stage) that the SO warned us over and over not to do it when we drew. Normally when that happens its because he had to dq someone for it.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    No suprise Jerry doing what he does but I have been watching Josh Lentz lately. He is a animal with the speedloaders, he finish very high overall this year in the IRC using speedloaders in the classic division against the open and limited moonclip guns.

TJ do you get a bump in class for winning your class? I don't know how IDPA does the class thing.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    No suprise Jerry doing what he does but I have been watching Josh Lentz lately. He is a animal with the speedloaders, he finish very high overall this year in the IRC using speedloaders in the classic division against the open and limited moonclip guns.

TJ do you get a bump in class for winning your class? I don't know how IDPA does the class thing.

It was very cool to meet Josh and talk with him a bit. His list of revolver accomplishments across various shooting sports is really impressive.

IDPA bumps go like this- if there are 10 people in your class and you win your class, you get bumped. If there's 20, then 1st and 2nd get bumped, etc. Another way to get bumped is to beat a combination of 10 people in your class and the class above yours. I did that at these nats, but I'm not sure if they count "me" in the SS class or not. Revolver bumps are unheard of, but looking at it one way, I've got it, another way I'm short the tenth guy. We'll see what they say in the next few days.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    U are an animal. I am impressed.....

You need to come over, I was telling Josh today about the whole deal and he wants to see you shoot. I'll set some targets up in the ditch down by the bridge.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    U are an animal. I am impressed.....

You need to come over, I was telling Josh today about the whole deal and he wants to see you shoot. I'll set some targets up in the ditch down by the bridge.

I'm down for that (of course:D). Or, we should all pile into an IDPA match sometime:rockwoot:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    So was the Shooting USA fellas there filming? Are we going to get to see all this in glorious color soon?

Awesome job Tj, simply awesome!

Yep, they was there! I got to chat with Jim a bit as he was coming in from a break. He was disgruntled about a stage, saying something about " I just told the SO I'm done and I went 137 points down on that stage" :laugh: Don't know when it will be aired, but everyone should catch it. You'll get to see the dreaded cosmic bowling scene as well as motion activated movers:yesway:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Yep, they was there! I got to chat with Jim a bit as he was coming in from a break. He was disgruntled about a stage, saying something about " I just told the SO I'm done and I went 137 points down on that stage" :laugh: Don't know when it will be aired, but everyone should catch it. You'll get to see the dreaded cosmic bowling scene as well as motion activated movers:yesway:

Awesome! I'd like the meet that crew; I follow Jim of Facebook and he seems like a genuine honest dude. One of my favorite shows, heck even my wife likes watching Shooting USA!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Awesome! I'd like the meet that crew; I follow Jim of Facebook and he seems like a genuine honest dude.

From the interaction I had with him, I'd have to agree. Authentic down to earth lover of all things gun, shooting and shooters. It was cool getting to meet him and his crew.

He was shorter than he appears on camera- that booming voice lends itself to greater stature than the reality:D

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Did you notice if Miculek was using Miculek wood grips ?

Trying to decide if I should brave the pain & give them a fair try.

Yep, he had them.

The thing about Miculek grips is that they are universally hated be everyone except Jerry:laugh: I love the feel and love the look, but hate shooting with them.

In my opinion, the best use is to fit a pair of n-frame Miculek's to an l-frame. I did that on a 686 and it is great.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    After seeing those guys shoot, what do you think really separates them from the rest? Obviously they are good enough to get the chance to do it for a living only to keep getting better, but is it faith in their equipment and shot placement? It'd be interesting to see if there was a particular intangible that those top-tier guys had and something else/other to work towards.

Top Bottom