• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    Next time there's a 1500, I'm taking $10 to the gun shop and looking around there. Same deal, better service.

FWIW, I had a dealer at the show one year tell me that he GAURANTEED that I can't find it cheaper. I asked him to back it up. He didn't. I did.

samwathegreat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    I find it incomprehensible that some of you still believe that FL's response was acceptable. Personally, had they responded with something like "unfortunately we can't go that low", I'd have bought it in a heartbeat.

Given the response the OP got, I don't care if it was the last of that model in the world, I wouldn't have bought it....

Maybe its because I work in sales? Dunno....Although I'm unfathomably surprised that so many of you insist that you would have made the purchase in the OP's shoes. Well NOT me, and NOT the op.

Kudos OP

-samwathegreat

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Y'all do realize it wasn't about the money, right? it was about the way the seller acted and his rudeness.

Y'all are focused on the fact that he was asking about $20 and completely ignored the fact that he felt he was treated poorly. I imagine they could have offered an extra $10 off and he would have still bought somewhere else because of the attitude.

You know if he would have bought the same exact gun he was looking for it would have been strictly a customer service issue, but he did'nt buy exactly what he was looking for, other wise he would have had Bob order it because according to him, Bob would have sold it to him at the same price.

But like I said earlier, apple and apples, oranges and apples, oranges and oranges.

samwathegreat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    NO not apples and oranges! Please don't misunderstand the issue....

It has NOTHING to do with the deal itself or the price.....the OPs protest ISN'T with the DEAL, it's with their attitude.

How does their attitude have ANYTHING to do with apples and oranges?

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    I find it incomprehensible that some of you still believe that FL's response was acceptable. Personally, had they responded with something like "unfortunately we can't go that low", I'd have bought it in a heartbeat.

Given the response the OP got, I don't care if it was the last of that model in the world, I wouldn't have bought it....

Maybe its because I work in sales? Dunno....Although I'm unfathomably surprised that so many of you insist that you would have made the purchase in the OP's shoes. Well NOT me, and NOT the op.

Kudos OP

-samwathegreat

Wow. I've heard such self-righteous indignation from idealistic teenagers and such. But man, how do you make it through life? I mean, seriously? The world is a rough and tumble place… and you can't be so fragile and easily offended as you're going through it.

You know, it's the same advice we give our kids and stuff. We don't tell our kids to pick every fight that they come across, do we? We don't tell them (I hope) to respond to every cross look, every cross word and every perception of "bad attitude." We tell them to believe in themselves. And part of believing in yourself is having the confidence that you can navigate your way through problems, off remarks and surly personalities (even gun store personalities!). But not just to give up and hide in the safety of only "pleasant" people. It is for the weak and timid to take such constant refuge, or to take such fast umbrage at the slightest remarks.

I understand that the Liberty salesman didn't spit out the words to the OP -- you know, with like vehemence and sarcasm or anything. He's human, and so are you. This could've been easily overcome.

Here's how I see it: I simply believe in my positive energy to prevail in situations like that. :) And in doing so, I am not damaged, insulted or lessened in any way; in fact, in prevailing I am stronger. It's that easy and it usually works. :patriot:

But it's unbelievable (to me) how helpless some of you seem to become -- and how quickly -- if the slightest part of a business (or social, too?) encounter doesn't go the best way it could. How do you all make it through life? Maybe I'm just living in the wrong zip code? :):

Last edited:

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've been to stores where I'll have the occasional guy that's short with me, or seems like a snob, or seems to avoid me, but I can handle that. If it happens again and again, I start to avoid that store. As a customer and a human being, I don't like being treated like crap on a regular basis.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd save $20 to buy a pistol with a feature I did not want or was not fond of because I had a callous sales rep. Sounds like the guy's not from a customer service background, maybe a gun background. Would I have bought the pistol from them anyway? Yes. But then again, I don't think it's reasonable to ask a gun shop to "price match." They're not Wal-Mart.

You absolutely have the right to not shop somewhere if you don't like the service, but I think I would have bought there anyway.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Very interesting discussion, it sounds similar to some that have been had regarding salesmen smoking in the shop too. If a salesman is rude to a customer and loses that person forever, that's between him and the owner. If the owner is cool with salesmen who make comments like that, then that's his business. I agree with chasekerion though, there was simply no excuse to be rude. Part of being professional is treating every person and every interaction as a unique situation. It doesn't matter that people have been trying to nickel and dime you all day. You still treat the next customer with respect and if you won't negotiate on price then simply and politely say that. In college I worked for a company that did not negotiate on price, in an industry where most businesses would. How on Earth did we ever sell anything when the products we sold were the same as the other places? Knowledge, personality, benefits/features, etc. All the salesman had to do was ask a few questions and he MIGHT have made the sale and created a customer. "Bob has it for $20 cheaper? That's a pretty good price, is it the exact same model?" "Oh, his model has the safety and ours doesn't? Were you looking for that particular model with the safety or without?" "Without? I see, well ours does not have the safety and that seems to be a feature that you were sort of partial to. Unfortunately I can't come down on the price, but the fact that our pistol is without that safety may make it worth the extra few dollars to you. If not, I would certainly understand if you bought from Bob instead, he's a good guy and a good friend of the shop."

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Seems you found a salesman who disagrees with you.

You both apprently rubbed each other the wrong way...don't be so (*) about it, live and learn. You both stood your ground over a few dollars difference. You ended up getting something that wasn't what you wanted because of it. I'm not sure if you can chalk that up as a win.

I bet you'd rather have what you want, $40 less in your pocket, and not have wasted all this time typing and mulling it over since the show. All that time and energy wasted alone has got to be worth more than $40. If you'd put that time and effort into your business you probably could have made more than that several times over by now.

Unfortunately, now it's come to assumptions regarding my personal life, and to be frank, as someone else posted regarding "**** you" money, I actually do have it to spend. And quite notably, it can be assumed that this entire purchase was based on the premise of "**** you."

This is an internet forum about guns and the like. Guess what happens here? We type and mull over issues.

Bobzilla, thanks for getting it. Can't believe this is so damn difficult.

Look, if it had anything to do with the price, I'd have ordered it from Bob if I was dead set on getting that exact model. I clearly didn't want that exact model bad enough to pay $20 more for it.

I've said it already that the safety wasn't a big issue, and truth be told, I've already put more money into this gun in aftermarket **** than any other gun I own. So I'm pretty freaking happy with what I bought.

Service and response was the issue.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Very interesting discussion, it sounds similar to some that have been had regarding salesmen smoking in the shop too. If a salesman is rude to a customer and loses that person forever, that's between him and the owner. If the owner is cool with salesmen who make comments like that, then that's his business. I agree with chasekerion though, there was simply no excuse to be rude. Part of being professional is treating every person and every interaction as a unique situation. It doesn't matter that people have been trying to nickel and dime you all day. You still treat the next customer with respect and if you won't negotiate on price then simply and politely say that. In college I worked for a company that did not negotiate on price, in an industry where most businesses would. How on Earth did we ever sell anything when the products we sold were the same as the other places? Knowledge, personality, benefits/features, etc. All the salesman had to do was ask a few questions and he MIGHT have made the sale and created a customer. "Bob has it for $20 cheaper? That's a pretty good price, is it the exact same model?" "Oh, his model has the safety and ours doesn't? Were you looking for that particular model with the safety or without?" "Without? I see, well ours does not have the safety and that seems to be a feature that you were sort of partial to. Unfortunately I can't come down on the price, but the fact that our pistol is without that safety may make it worth the extra few dollars to you. If not, I would certainly understand if you bought from Bob instead, he's a good guy and a good friend of the shop."

THIS

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Y'all do realize it wasn't about the money, right? it was about the way the seller acted and his rudeness.

Y'all are focused on the fact that he was asking about $20 and completely ignored the fact that he felt he was treated poorly. I imagine they could have offered an extra $10 off and he would have still bought somewhere else because of the attitude.
    Oh yeah I realize that but the rudeness seemed to stem from the price, and the act of trying to negotiate. I remember negotiating for a used car at a southside auto dealer. I had seen virtually the same car, with about 10,000 less miles about two hours earlier at a different dealer for $2000.00 less, so I thought good time to try to bargain. So I mentioned that and the guy got all bent out of shape saying he prices his cars fairly, blah blah blah. So My wife and I just got up and left. And the guy still had this "I can't Believe they are leaving look on his face". Went on down the road and actually found a better car with less miles a few less bells and whistles, and a much better price and better customer service that both of the other dealers. The Car was a 1999 Town and Country, that we still drive, and the dealer was Ray Skillman.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I've been to stores where I'll have the occasional guy that's short with me, or seems like a snob, or seems to avoid me, but I can handle that. If it happens again and again, I start to avoid that store. As a customer and a human being, I don't like being treated like crap on a regular basis.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd save $20 to buy a pistol with a feature I did not want or was not fond of because I had a callous sales rep. Sounds like the guy's not from a customer service background, maybe a gun background. Would I have bought the pistol from them anyway? Yes. But then again, I don't think it's reasonable to ask a gun shop to "price match." They're not Wal-Mart.

You absolutely have the right to not shop somewhere if you don't like the service, but I think I would have bought there anyway.
    I have been in CS, all my life... 40 + years.... If YOU, want MY business, YOU had better be NICE to me... what the op is talking about, IMHO, is what I call the Mc D attitude, YOU GET IT MY way, or YOU don't get it !!!!! I am a CUSTOMER, and I CHOOSE where I spend MY money... YOU make YOUR living servicing ME .... If I think YOU, are NOT servicing ME, then I go somewhere else !!!!! :twocents:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have been in CS, all my life... 40 + years.... If YOU, want MY business, YOU had better be NICE to me... what the op is talking about, IMHO, is what I call the Mc D attitude, YOU GET IT MY way, or YOU don't get it !!!!! I am a CUSTOMER, and I CHOOSE where I spend MY money... YOU make YOUR living servicing ME .... If I think YOU, are NOT servicing ME, then I go somewhere else !!!!! :twocents:
    :+1:That Says it best!

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Oh yeah I realize that but the rudeness seemed to stem from the price, and the act of trying to negotiate. I remember negotiating for a used car at a southside auto dealer. I had seen virtually the same car, with about 10,000 less miles about two hours earlier at a different dealer for $2000.00 less, so I thought good time to try to bargain. So I mentioned that and the guy got all bent out of shape saying he prices his cars fairly, blah blah blah. So My wife and I just got up and left. And the guy still had this "I can't Believe they are leaving look on his face". Went on down the road and actually found a better car with less miles a few less bells and whistles, and a much better price and better customer service that both of the other dealers. The Car was a 1999 Town and Country, that we still drive, and the dealer was Ray Skillman.

I, as a CUSTOMER, don't give 2 ****s about "where" the rudeness came from. I come to you, I am polite and you are rude, well that is unacceptable. Period. I would not be employed if that was how I treated my customers.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Wow. I've heard such self-righteous indignation from idealistic teenagers and such. But man, how do you make it through life? I mean, seriously? The world is a rough and tumble place… and you can't be so fragile and easily offended as you're going through it.

You know, it's the same advice we give our kids and stuff. We don't tell our kids to pick every fight that they come across, do we? We don't tell them (I hope) to respond to every cross look, every cross word and every perception of "bad attitude." We tell them to believe in themselves. And part of believing in yourself is having the confidence that you can navigate your way through problems, off remarks and surly personalities (even gun store personalities!). But not just to give up and hide in the safety of only "pleasant" people. It is for the weak and timid to take such constant refuge, or to take such fast umbrage at the slightest remarks.

I understand that the Liberty salesman didn't spit out the words to the OP -- you know, with like vehemence and sarcasm or anything. He's human, and so are you. This could've been easily overcome.

Here's how I see it: I simply believe in my positive energy to prevail in situations like that. :) And in doing so, I am not damaged, insulted or lessened in any way; in fact, in prevailing I am stronger. It's that easy and it usually works. :patriot:

But it's unbelievable (to me) how helpless some of you seem to become -- and how quickly -- if the slightest part of a business (or social, too?) encounter doesn't go the best way it could. How do you all make it through life? Maybe I'm just living in the wrong zip code? :):

I think you missed calling hte OP's mom a slut and kicking his dog.

Look, as a customer I expect to be treated with at least the same amount of respect I give you. You act rude, and there are PLENTY of other places to take my business. That is what this is about. Hes not whining. He's pointing out poor customer service.

How can you not comprehend this? You are quick to call the OP shallow, and accusing him of picking a fight. But you seem to be lacking in reading comprehension. Poor customer service is poor customer service.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    You will blow $20 on a cheap meal or movie and not give it a second thought. So why so particular on a firearm?

In the gun dealers defense. I'm in business myself. If what the dealer said was true about cost and selling price. I could not survive in business, if my mark up was less than 10%. I could not cover shipping and cost of paperwork for $40. I've never seen any rich gun dealers. Most do it because they love guns. I'm sure the dealers gets people trying to lower his price all the time and is tired of it. He probably knew he had one of the only ones at the show and tried to make a buck on it.

PS. Don't give me any crap about Don's guns. Don did not make his money from being a gun dealer. you should know that.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I, as a CUSTOMER, don't give 2 ****s about "where" the rudeness came from. I come to you, I am polite and you are rude, well that is unacceptable. Period. I would not be employed if that was how I treated my customers.
    Agreed! I've spent 30+ years in CS, I even got fired for being rude to a customer, Even though I know it did not happen. Because they would not give any details, or tell me exactly what I said. just telling a story about an experience relating to price since price and profit margins have entered into the discussion.

Last edited:

samwathegreat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009

You obviously know nothing about customer service. I couldn't imagine what business you work in, but based on your comments my guess is something government related.

I'm a successful person. Period. A large part of the reason I'm successful is because of my philosophy. I won't begin to speculate on how successful you are in life and business, but the only point you made that I can agree with is yes, it is how we teach our kids. You reward people/companies/children for good behavior/service, and punish (don't buy from) those that exercise poor judgement or bad attitude.

Who has become 'helpless'? No one, including the OP and myself has 'given up' on 'unpleasant people', we simply choose to give our business to those who provide acceptable customer service. If you don't believe the salesperson's remark was offensive, then I fail to see how you have managed to 'make it through life'.

Also, no one is picking a fight. The OP was sharing his experience with everyone, which is a normal social activity. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

+ rep from anyone who agrees??

Top Bottom