• ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I sent this email to my HR manager:

[redacted],

I was checking our firearm policy in the employee handbook and it says the following:

Category I: Violations of the following will subject the
    individual(s) involved to immediate dismissal:
    The possession of firearms or other illegal weapons (or
    their parts) on Company property (unless otherwise
    limited by applicable state law).

I’m not well versed in lawyer-speak so maybe you could help me understand this. The way this is worded, I interpret it as saying “Illegal weapons cannot be carried on company property”. I am licensed by the state of Indiana to carry a handgun, openly or concealed. The last clause of our policy, “unless otherwise limited by applicable state law”, leads me to believe I’m allowed to be in possession of a legal firearm on company property.

My simplified question to you is this: Am I allowed by company policy to have a firearm in my vehicle being that my firearm would be permitted by state law?

Thanks!
    HR manager replied with the following:
    According to IN law, you are allowed to have the gun in your car on a company parking lot if it is maintained in one of 3 ways: a) locked in the trunk; b) in the glove compartment of a locked vehicle; or c) stored out of plain sight in a locked vehicle.

You cannot carry the gun on your person on company property.
    While I realize not being allowed to carry at work sucks, I understand their perspective being that this is private property. Being allowed to at least keep my firearm in the car though is nice. Not sure I'd leave my carry weapon out in the car though....time to buy a beater pistol.

Yay for Indiana gun laws, and I'm glad the people running my organization aren't complete pricks about this. :draw:

Thoughts?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Only real thought, honestly, is that the law is pretty clear on the permissibility of you keeping a gun in your car in the parking lot where you work (subject to a few exceptions) and that you probably did yourself no favors asking for clarification rather than just quietly following the law. I can see why you might want to ask, but in this situation you may have not wanted to get on their radar as "one of those people".

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Only real thought, honestly, is that the law is pretty clear on the permissibility of you keeping a gun in your car in the parking lot where you work (subject to a few exceptions) and that you probably did yourself no favors asking for clarification rather than just quietly following the law. I can see why you might want to ask, but in this situation you may have not wanted to get on their radar as "one of those people".

This is a good point, and I considered that.

I don't really have a good excuse as to why I asked - primarily ignorance of my rights. Time for me to read up more.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Me thinks you just put a big red CHECK next to your name at your job ...
    I doubt that, as carrying is becoming more and more common these days. Time has shown that we are not the ones doing the bad things out there, generally. Although we all have our biases, right?

Yes, you need to study the laws, know them inside and out...so that if you ever need to use your firearm that you have no doubt or hesitation about what is legal and illegal usage of said firearm.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Yes, you need to study the laws, know them inside and out...so that if you ever need to use your firearm that you have no doubt or hesitation about what is legal and illegal usage of said firearm.

I think I've got a good grasp on what's legal, but if I ever need to use my firearm, my decision making should be based on a) keeping me alive and b) keeping other innocents alive. I'll deal with the legality later. :draw:

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The Orwellian Response

Big red checkmark sent to Nappy at Homeland Security......he (I mean she) marks the HS watchlist form in triplicate. Underlines right-wing domestic terrorist still clinging to guns & religion.

Post-It note placed with the reminder that when 'posse comitatus' is suspended, we need to go after the guy with the 30-30 and send him in for re-education.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    "The possession of firearms or other illegal weapons..."

The way this is worded explicitly states that only illegal firearms are not permitted, IMO. Unless they have another clause somewhere that says all weapons are prohibited or that firearms are "illegal" according to company policy, I can't see any other interpretation. :twocents:

If I tell you that "the posession of a Snickers bar or any other illegal junk food..." is against your diet, would you not think that the snickers bar is implicitly referred to as an "illegal snickers bar"? So you could still have a snickers bar as long as you have your LTES (License to Eat Snickers). :D

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    c) stored out of plain sight in a locked vehicle.

well duhhhhhhh... leave your gun in plain sight in your car and see if you have window when you come back out.

Top Bottom