• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sensor5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    I was in the market for a small single stack 45 to replace my Glock 36. My Glock 36 was reliable, I just did not shoot it well. I tried to like the 36...I have owned 3 over the past 10-years, but I ended up selling them all (no reliability issues with any of them them).

I recently bought a Kahr CM45 and I really like it a lot ($350 new). It is a 5-shot handgun and to-date, I have fired about 200 rounds through it. I had 2 failure to feeds the first 50 rounds. New, this thing was very tight. So tight, I had a lot of difficulty keeping the slide back to disassemble the thing (you have to line up a mark on the slide to a mark on the frame and pull the slide stop out, like a 1911). Now, it is easy to hold back and disassemble. It has a LOOONG trigger, but is smooth. Some like it, some do not.

I rented a Springfield Armory XDS 45 ($500 new) yesterday and fired about 50 rounds through it. It is a 5-shot like the CM45. They're roughly same size and shape. XDS slide is probably 1/8 inch longer. This XDS was very dirty and had two failure to return to battery mishaps. In defense of this XDS, it was very dirty and had no lubricant (probably hadn't seen any since leaving the factory). I never like the Springfield XD line due to the grip safety, loaded chamber indicator on top of the slide, and they seemed top heavy. However, I loved this handgun. So much so, I plan to buy one next week. I am a big fan of single stack 45ACPs.

Both have very different triggers. Kahrs are more like a double action revolver, XDS is more like a Glock. Kahrs have very few parts in the frames of there handguns. It is a very simple setup with two rotating arms in the rear of the slide. One pulls the firing pin rearward and releases, while the other depresses the firing pin stop. It seems very ingenious to me.

Grip was similiar and I have very big hands ( 6'1 & 260 pounds) and I was able to keep my pinky finger on the grip of each. The Kahr's front strap was a bit rough on my pinky though.

When shooting, but have very manageable recoil and have a double recoil spring setup. I did notice a difference in accuracy. At 5-yards, I noticed no difference. Beyond that, the better XDS barrel shined. I forgot to check the barrels, but I think the XDS has a polygonal barrel, whereas the Kahr CW/CM line up has traditional rifled barrels. I had a hard time grouping with the Kahr at distances beyond 5-yards, but the XDS was no problem.

Magazine for each are cheapest on CDNN or Bud's Guns. Kahr magazines are about $10 more than the XDS mags.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I can't speak to the .45, but I love my XDs 9mm. It has functioned flawlessly for me, and I find that I am far mor accurate with it than other "pocket guns." Also, the sights, levers, and other aspects seem on par with full size handguns. I have shot it side by side with numerous other small single stack guns, and I have yet to find myself or anyone with me that has been able to shoot another faster or more accurately.

I'd be interested to hear which becomes your favorite!

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I can't speak to the .45, but I love my XDs 9mm. It has functioned flawlessly for me, and I find that I am far mor accurate with it than other "pocket guns." Also, the sights, levers, and other aspects seem on par with full size handguns. I have shot it side by side with numerous other small single stack guns, and I have yet to find myself or anyone with me that has been able to shoot another faster or more accurately.

I'd be interested to hear which becomes your favorite!

I ditched my Kahr for an XDS, I love it. Never had any problems with it. I'm mostly a glock guy so ultimately the trigger is what made me get rid it it.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I have been lusting over the XDs 45 for a while. I carry a CM9 as my EDC but have wanted a small 45 every since I got my Sig P220 which is probably my favorite shooter.

There are some decent deals on the XDs so I may just have to give it a try.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    love my XDS 45, had one malfunction and it was literally the first shot, probably user error because since then its been GTG! The "gun community" was "up in arms" :laugh: about the recall that springfield had on them. Never really understood it myself, they handled it quickly and sent me an extra mag. Many decided they would sell their XDS the moment they got it back because they were upset yadda yadda... Maybe there are some good deals to be had on the used market for an XDS right now?
    I added stick on (rubber ones, not the sand paper) Talon grips to mine and it was money well spent!

Bigdaddybell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2013
    Crown Point
    I owned the XDs 45 3.3 and it was a very good pistol. I also own a few more Springfields in the XDs and XDm models.
    I personnally thought the xds was a good EDC gun but was not happy with it at the range. I had no FTE or FTFs, but felt it was hard to shoot at the range and get comfortable with. When I switched to the XDs 4.0 9mm, I shot alot better, smaller groups, and the recoil was more managable. Thus I felt more confidant with the gun as my EDC piece.

Top Bottom