• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedThunder

Marksman
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    Quick and easy version...nice range. It could just be my older eyes, but the lanes seem just a little darker than I'm used to, so lighting could be better. The targets/holders seem to "sway" forever but operate very well. Ventilation is excellent, it's clean and the people working have been very friendly. Prices are good. All in all, a great place to shoot.

sjstill

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Thanks for the kind words.

I jokingly tell folks that we don't charge extra for moving targets :): I try reset the tension once a week, but sometimes the carriers seem to have a mind of their own.

bullseye2700

Shooter
    Nov 10, 2014
    Opinions are my own
    Ventilation system must be broke now -- I could barely see my target at 25 yards. Was also distracted by the people shooting at 5 yards next to me with no apparent knowledge of how to handle a firearm. Had to leave, like my lungs, want to live.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Ventilation system must be broke now -- I could barely see my target at 25 yards. Was also distracted by the people shooting at 5 yards next to me with no apparent knowledge of how to handle a firearm. Had to leave, like my lungs, want to live.
    I was there about 1130 today. I noticed it was smokier than usual today but it wasn't obscuring my target or unbearable at that point. Nobody had bad skills when I was there either. Timing is everything I guess, or it was me with bad skills maybe. :dunno:

sjstill

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Apologies, the system was on the fritz today.

If you see unsafe gun handling on the range, please tell us, we will correct it ASAP.

bullseye2700

Shooter
    Nov 10, 2014
    Opinions are my own
    My biggest concern with the place is when people rent guns and take them in with no instructions and no RSO behind them. It is just not a safe place to shoot. I wish the owner(s) of Parabellum would do something to create a safe, clean, organized environment. I wish they would remove the benches from behind the lines so I don't have to watch people loading their magazines and their guns behind me. I wish I could continue to shoot there with a degree of confidence that safety was a major concern. And, finally, I wish I could have a target with only the holes from my gun ammo on them. I've not shot a .38, but I have holes all over my targets of that caliber.

bullseye2700

Shooter
    Nov 10, 2014
    Opinions are my own
    @SJSTILL -- ASAP could define when you're done checking other people in. Safety concerns need dealt with immediately. If someone blows apart their target, break the cables, etc, they clearly need someone in there watching what they are doing for the protection of the rest of us.

cctwcc

Plinker
    May 15, 2013
    Bargersville
    Bullseye 2700.. I've used the range on numerous occasions and I've never had any real problem. It's easy to say that there should be someone watching anyone that is acting foolishly but difficult to make it happen without seeming to be overzealous. Too much policing and you are a range Nazi, not enough and people are complaining about the place being unsafe. I've been told more that once by the staff that if I see a problem let them know and they WILL address it. All in all I consider it the best indoor range I've experienced.
    In retrospect, if it's that terrible and scary to be around people that maybe don't have as much expertise as you obviously do I would suggest avoiding the place. I'm not saying that ANY safety issue should be ignored, just saying that you sound like you would make a great range Nazi. :)

Last edited:

KCarlton1943

Plinker
    Feb 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Maybe you were kidding with the "range Nazi" comment but safety is the #1 rule and goal for any gun use. To put the responsibility on the patrons solely or primarily is wrong. We all have a responsibility for gun safety but the facility owns it, plain and simple. Calling somebody a range nazi; well, when somebody gets shot in the back or goes bezerk we all will wish we demanded more of Parabellum's staff.

I've been to the range a couple of times. It was okay during my experience but the ventilation and lighting was poor. I prefer Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield. I have heard from 3 or 4 people at different times tell me to "watch my back" at Parabellum because of there safety concerns. They can be easy and great to work with but they should be thanking feedback on safety as all it will take is social media to start black flagging them or good old Rafael Sanchez with RTV6 to do a profile story on them to hurt their business. I don't want to see this as the westside needs more small businesses and more ranges - but only safe ones.

bullseye2700

Shooter
    Nov 10, 2014
    Opinions are my own
    @cctwcc -- To be fair, I have shot there a number of times over the past year with mostly good results. I like the RSO's, they're very pleasant -- my issue is with no range rules being 'confirmed' at check in. That lies with the owner, and something I've been very vocal about. I shouldn't have to be the one watching the other shooters.

@KCarlton1943 -- agreed, my objective here is to keep PB off the news.

KCarlton1943

Plinker
    Feb 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'm new to this forum and don't know their staff but hopefully they value your input and interest enough in their business to ensure not just its survival but success. Some places take (constructive) criticism negatively treating you as if you are harming them. What is the old rule - just looked it up "Of those who complain, 50% - 70% will do business again if complaint is resolved. 95% will return if resolved quickly. Average customer with a complaint tells 9 to 10 people, 13% tell more than 20 people. Those who have complained and had resolution tell five people."

cctwcc

Plinker
    May 15, 2013
    Bargersville
    Bullseye . You guys are TOO amusing.. I normally ignore some of the little girl stuff on the board and I"ll admit that at times it can pretty comical. I'll apologize in advance because I just can't ignore this, it's to juicy.
    For the most part I'm a "lurker" here. Like you I don't post often. I will say that I do frequent Parabeulum, like the people and enjoy shooting there. I also appreciate the fact that someone would invest upwards of $750,000 in a first class public indoor range so I can shoot indoors when it's 10 degrees and spitting snow.
    After a little research my personal conclusion is that you appear to have an ax to grind. Every post you have made on the board (all 5 of them) since joining last November has been to complain about Parabellum, a place you say you like and utilize. It also seems odd that KCarlton43, that you so gleefully agreed with, just happened to join TODAY and his first posts were in support your positions. Simple solution to your problem. Just don't go back to Parabellum.
    I can't imagine why you would join INGO just to complain about someplace that you obviously frequent. It's also just as obvious to me that you convinced someone else to start an account just to agree with you:dunno:
    I think the term "troll" may fit in here somewhere. dontfeed

Again I will stress, NO safety issue, no matter how trivial should be ignored, but it seems you (and today's newest member KCarlton43) possibly have some other agenda with regards to Parabellum other than safety. I noticed you complained about the "owner" specifically and had a big "wish" list of things you wanted changed. I"ll bet the owner wishes he had enough money to have an RSO for every lane but that's probably not going to happen because no range can afford that.
    Just my opinions, feel free to correct any errors in my deductions. :) I'm sure your confidant KCarlton43 will agree wholeheartedly with any conclusion you come to. Just know you have been my amusement for the day (refer to the "little girl" stuff comment above):p

I would be interested in any other INGO members (aside from the little girls) opinions on calling these guys out.. Am in in the wrong or do you see it as I do?

KCarlton1943

Plinker
    Feb 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    You are a regular Magnum PI @cctwcc. Btw, it is KCarlton1943. I'm sure somebody as astute as you noticed that and simply didn't transfer that to your fingers while typing. You seemed to have turned the thread about safety into one of personal attacks. Not uncommon on the world wide web. By definition, this makes you the troll. Given your ardent defense of Parabellum in spite what @bullseye2700 has raised and my simple observations of them, I would guess you are related to the owner(s) of PB or work there.

Either way, your attacks don't mean anything to me. I'm not mad and I'm sure you are a good guy. We would probably get along great and this is our Ford vs Chevy moment. I support @bullseye2700 because gun safety should never be dismissed. Wish the best to PB and hope they never have any issues.

bullseye2700

Shooter
    Nov 10, 2014
    Opinions are my own
    @cctwcc --- I gave kudos to the RSO, knowing he will do what is right. Some weeks I'm at PB 2x / week, sometimes I'm not there for several weeks shooting at Tim's in Westfield, shooting indoors at another range, or enjoying the outdoor ranges. Yes, it is a great to have an indoor facility. MOST of the time, I make it there with low attendance, and it's very peaceful. However, on busy days, I think something needs to be done to provide improved safety. Do I want an RSO at every lane? No.That is impractical. However, even visiting Tim's range, as well as various other ranges, you have to watch a safety video, go over range rules, and then go into the facility with someone watching all of the lanes in person. To respond after an incident is too late, I am simply trying to encourage more oversight before someone gets hurt. You are correct, I joined in November, but took the approach on talking to the owner first, trying to persuade/influence change appropriately. I assume you are either the owner know him very well, as the figures you gave for the bullet traps were the same number he gave me.

I took some guys from work there last week, and one was so terrified he wouldn't shoot, participate, or agree to try it again. Again, most of the time, it's an enjoyable 1/2 to hour. Unfortunately, he was brand new to shooting. It was a very unsafe day. I brushed it off as a bad day, went back two days later, and that was when the man next to me was loading his guns at the bench and couldn't hit his target at 5 yards. Yes, the RSO responded. Yes, he walked the lanes. But, if hammer follow would have happened, someone would have been seriously hurt or killed. That is what finally influenced me to post. How long after an incident happens do you think PB will be in business? I'm seriously trying to help them.

You have done the name calling (troll, range nazi, etc), and that's fine. I've got thick skin. I'll continue to advocate for safety. I'm trying to help PREVENT an accident there, to keep PB in business, so that it is enjoyable for all.

Classic

Master
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I've been to Parabellum on several occasions and haven't witnessed any of the issues complained about here, could be the timing. Good ventilation, good temperature control and friendly staff. I haven't witnessed any of the negative behaviors mentioned earlier and I wonder if the offended ones actually mentioned any of it at the time it was happening when it might have done some good, or just waited to run their pie holes on the net about it after the fact.

KCarlton1943

Plinker
    Feb 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've read all of the comments so far and @bullseye2700 has stated several times to have told the RSO and owner. His last post 19 minutes before yours @Classic, explained the process he went through. Looks like he chose to not open his "pie hole" until now.

Classic

Master
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Point taken. It also sounded like the RSO didn't observe anything that needed correcting either.

Just haven't seen the terrifying behaviors there or heard of any accidents or near misses. Been in several indoor ranges where the barriers, ceilings and walls had many, many strikes, leading me to believe they are a bit shaky. Neither Parabellum nor Beech Grove (when it was functional) don't have the same kind of scars and seem like safe places to shoot to me.

Dim Mak

Marksman
    Oct 1, 2014
    Naptown
    My one and only time I was there for ten minutes and I had to leave because my eyes, nose and throat were burning from the lack of proper ventilation.

Top Bottom