• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I started taking out some guns from the safe to clean and inspect. I thought I'd go through a couple, but started and stopped at my 39A. It was the first time I broke it down to clean. It is a little disconcerting banging the left side of the barrel to break it apart and I had to watch a YouTube video to be sure.

Of the firearms I own, this is the last one I would sell. My father did not have many guns. He shot tons before he was married and had kids. This was the only one that wasn't stolen during a break in when I was 10. The Ruger Black Hawk .44 was his favorite, and the low lifes that stole it most likely just threw away the leather gun belt he hand crafted. :xmad: I did not ever get to fire it. They missed this 39A, because it was in a gun case among the clothes. So this is my only heirloom gun.

I've got two questions on this. First, the serial is Y22xx. From what I've been able to Google, I'm see this as 1964 for date of manufacture. Is that right?

The stock is hand rubbed linseed oil. Dad described how they stripped it down and then coated and rubbed (and repeated many times). He kept it in a zippered case, with some felt lining. This has joined with the stock a little and made it slightly furry. I also feel a little wood grain. My plan is to pull off the stocks and use a heat gun and some light steel wool to dress this down. Is that the right move here? I don't want to do anything bad to the stock.

I think I'll be taking this out for some tree rats this season. I'm sure dad will tag along in spirit.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    You have a GREAT gun Joe..

The Golden 39A is one of the greatest .22's made. This was my first gun. Bought in August of '68' with paper route $, at the age of 14.
    I also have the Black Walnut oil finish. I use 0000 steel wool and gun oil to smooth out the grain on mine.

Take care of that FINE firearm, and pass it down through your family-I know I will with mine..Bill.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    39A

The 39 A is a wonderful Rifle.
    My Grandfather had a 39 A my Brother has it now.
    My Sons first Rifle was a Marlin 39A that I purchased when he was 10 yrs old
    He is now 23 and still owns that rifle and it still loks like new.
    I am so glad to hear that you have at least 1 heirloom to cherish

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a 39A from 1953 and a 39M Mountie from the 70's I believe. I recently shot the 39A for the 1st time in many years. I was hitting the 100yd steel gong with open sights pretty regularly. Both of my rifles are in very nice condition. I'd be careful with a heat gun on wood finishes b/c it will cause the oil to seep out of the stock. I would try Murphys on it first and it not then try 0000 steel wool and lightly rub it down. Good luck on the finish. I've refinished wood with BLS cut with turpentine with good results.

Top Bottom